It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netanyahu trying to persuade cabinet to support attack on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well-its definitely being talked about and possibly this week:

"Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak are trying to muster a majority in the cabinet in favor of military action against Iran, a senior Israeli official has said. According to the official, there is a "small advantage" in the cabinet for the opponents of such an attack.

Netanyahu did not rule out the possibility of the need for a military action on Iran this week."

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
And Iran is the one supposed to be a threat to peace in the middle east?

edit on 1-11-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Was just about to post a similar thread...you beat me to it

I've always believed that NOVEMBER of this year was going to top all the other huge events of the year (earthquakes, floods, social unrest etc), and I believe that because I've had this awful feeling that it's going to be due to a NUCLEAR ATTACK, somewhere in the world, but most likely in the ME, with Iran the most likely target.

I really hope I'm wrong but can't shake this feeling, and given the latest news coming out from sources in the region, it's not looking good.

By late 2010, the successes (temporary, perhaps) of the Stuxnet virus in crippling a certain percentage of Iran's centrifuges seemed to cool off passions on this subject, but now we're back to worrying. Keep in mind one important thing: The clock the Israelis are watching is not the one telling them that Iran is close, or not-so-close, to actually constructing a nuclear warhead and a delivery system for such a warhead. The clock the Israelis care about is the one that will tell them when they've run out of time to take effective preemptive action against the Iranian program, which is to say, when the Iranians put their centrifuges so deeply underground that they become beyond the reach of Israeli bombers. This is the issue we should be watching. Here's some bonus conspiracy material for those who enjoy such things: Last week it was announced that Prime Minister Netanyahu had canceled his scheduled appearance at the Jewish Federations' annual General Assembly in Denver this year, set to take place in the days immediately before the IAEA report comes out. The GA is currently ranked third as the world's most Netanyahu-friendly audience, just behind the United States Congress, and AIPAC. He doesn't usually like to miss such events.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Both sides are pounding the drums.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Well, for starters. we dont see Iran making preparations for a first strike against Israel.
Israel and the US are the ones constantly trying to stir up a war with Iran.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This is in the realm of redicoulous. As the Prime Minister of Israel, you would assume his intent would be to protect the Jewish people, not send them to an avoidable war, or a war of choice. I am worried that there is only a small majority in the cabinet opposing such decision, however, I hope realists prevail an war in averted. I would expect to see some resignations filed if such an attack were to occur.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
This is in the realm of redicoulous. As the Prime Minister of Israel, you would assume his intent would be to protect the Jewish people, not send them to an avoidable war, or a war of choice. I am worried that there is only a small majority in the cabinet opposing such decision, however, I hope realists prevail an war in averted. I would expect to see some resignations filed if such an attack were to occur.

Well from a military standpoint, the best time to take out your enemy is when he has his trousers down, like when he is in the latrine and not expecting an attack. Hit them fast and hit them hard before they can muster and you can mop the floor with them and they will not be able to respond in force. You do this by taking out their air bases first and their air support. Once you rule the skies they are at your mercy.

Not that i support this in any way or any other act of vilence, i am just stating a common military strategy for someone to look for a quick victory and a way to end the war before it even begins.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Loads of confusion here.

The names to start with.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak are trying to muster a majority in the cabinet in favor of military action against Iran, a senior Israeli official has said. According to the official, there is a "small advantage" in the cabinet for the opponents of such an attack.

Netanyahu and Barak recently persuaded Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who previously objected to attacking Iran, to support such a move.

Many will confuse the Israeli Defense Minister with Obama, and Israeli Foreign Minister Lieberman with U.S. Senator Lieberman.

Senior ministers and diplomats said the International Atomic Energy Agency's report, due to be released on November 8, will have a decisive effect on the decisions Israel makes.

The commotion regarding Iran was sparked by journalist Nahum Barnea's column in Yedioth Ahronoth last Friday. Barnea's concerned tone and his editors' decision to run the column under the main headline ("Atomic Pressure" ) repositioned the debate on Iran from closed rooms to the media's front pages.

A "journalist" started the problem

Strategic Affairs Minister Moshe Ya'alon said he preferred an American military attack on Iran to an Israeli one. "A military move is the last resort," he said.

????????

Can anyone confirm from creditble sources that Israel actually has nuclear long range weapons?

Or is this all just wild speculation?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Can anyone confirm from creditble sources that Israel actually has nuclear long range weapons? Or is this all just wild speculation?

Yep, they've got the long range NUKE missile capability, and the issue is how much longer to wait before using?

If they wait too long then Iran will have time to transfer all their 'secret' nuke facilities, deep underground, where they can't even be reached by bunker busters & nukes.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It was always going to happen. In my opinion, Israel would surely have attacked Iran a few years ago, before they even got this far along with their nuclear program. However, the US had thousands of troops sitting next door in Iraq trying to quell the insurgency - and Iran could have caused chaos in retaliation. So the US held Israel back and said "don't worry - we'll deal with Iran in good time.....just don't start anything". So Israel have been sitting back, buying time with virus attacks on Iranian facilities and assassinations of Iranian nuclear scientists. But they have always told the US (behind closed doors, but it's obvious enough) that they won't wait forever - they will take on Iran themselves - and drag the region into chaos - if they feel Iran has reached the point of no return. Nobody should doubt Israel's resolve on this matter. They simply cannot and will not tolerate a nuclear armed Iran.

So now we reach this point. The last US combat troops have left Iraq and are out of harms way. The IAEA is preparing to release a report highlighting their concerns over the Iranians nuclear program. The Israeli leadership is facing growing unrest over the economy, with massive protests and threats of strikes - the leadership needs a diversion that will unite the people and take their mind off the problems at home. Right now, Iran has a giant red target painted on it. The US will give the green light and the IAEA will give them just cause.

If it doesn't happen within this window of opportunity then it will never happen. If the reports are to be believed, the Israeli cabinet is split over whether to attack Iran or live with them getting nuclear weapons. I think over the coming weeks we'll know which side they came down on.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Now even more confusion.

Maybe the U.N. will allow NATO to get involved.

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 3 November 2011 09.57 EDT

Kuwaiti paper says Binyamin Netanyahu believes the heads of the Mossad and Shin Bet may have leaked plans for attack

Israel's prime minister has ordered an investigation into alleged leaks of plans to attack Iran's nuclear facilities, it has been reported.

According to the Kuwaiti newspaper al-Jarida, the main suspects are the former heads of the Mossad and the Shin Bet, respectively Israel's foreign and domestic intelligence agencies.

Netanyahu is said to believe that the two, Meir Dagan and Yuval Diskin, wanted to torpedo plans being drawn up by him and Ehud Barak, the defence minister, to hit Iranian nuclear sites. Tzipi Livni, leader of the opposition Kadima party, is also said to have been persuaded to attack Netanyahu for "adventurism" and "gambling with Israel's national interest"....

Israeli PM orders investigation into Iran leak

new topics

top topics

join