It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Makes Soldiers “Culturally Literate” About Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is nothing new really.

www.judicialwatch.org...

From the article;

"In this new era of political correctness, the U.S. Army has published a special handbook for soldiers that appears to justify Islamic jihad by describing it as the “communal military defense of Islam and Muslims when they are threatened or under attack.”

Because radical Muslim groups consider Islam to be perpetually under moral, spiritual, economic, political and military attack by the “secular west” they consider military jihad a “constant necessity” and use it as a “rallying cry to resist and attack all this is un-Islamic,” according to the new Army manual."

I have been involved in many conflicts, mainly against those of the Islamic ideology. We always have been taught, mentored, coached and trained to take Muslims sensitivities into account when dealing with the locals. Culture cards have always been a part of this training, along with having to talk and deal with Iraqis and Afghanis who have been transferred here to help train our Soldiers in fairly realistic scenarios.

But now, combined with restrictive rules of engagement…I guess we must hug those who are trying to kill us. Sorry, dark humor.

Soldiers get why they are trying to kill them. We are on their land…pure and simple. And they don’t want us there. Believe or not, we get that.

But dealing with locals vs. insurgents is a whole different matter on a whole different scale. While one is human to human contact and conversation, the other is kill or be killed.

I know that we have had ugly incidents concerning soldiers, and when brought to light those individuals are punished. Not always to my liking either. Oft times I think the punishment should be worse.

But the stories are rarely published where we are doing good. Stories that I have seen with my own two eyes.

This is just another Cultural card that will find its way to the bottom of a duffle bag with all the rest.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
You know why they want you "culturally literate?"

Because this is an occupation. We plan on being there for a good long time. It's easier for both sides if we get along. That's why the US soldier is being schooled on local customs.

Why is the American argument of "well if they're going to come to my country they should learn to speak English!" acceptable but learning the culture of areas we occupy is faux pas?
edit on 1-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I totally agree with you. The 'ol axiom of, "When in Rome" comes to mind.

I was always fascinated by the tribal history with the people I met. (I'm a history buff)

The sectors that I served in during my career in ran the whole gamut. From pacified to daily battles.

The one thing I found was that once people started talking...the shooting died down.

But you will always have your die hards.
edit on 1-11-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Just because we go around invading and occupying other countries.. doesn't mean we have to be inconsiderate turds about it. Politeness counts!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
Just because we go around invading and occupying other countries.. doesn't mean we have to be inconsiderate turds about it. Politeness counts!

I don't know if you have served or not, or are just being sarcastic, but you have hit the nail on the head.

People just want to be heard. A willing ear goes a long way.
edit on 1-11-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
To be honest if you come and invade my land and threaten my queen I don't care if you are are culturally literate about it. You will get a spear through your chest.

new topics

top topics

join