It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Wildly Unexpected' the flat galaxies spitzer found..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
this is not recent news but...
from a gravitational lensing point of view this is cool

New observations from NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope provide strong evidence that the slender, bulgeless galaxies can, like their heftier counterparts, harbor supermassive black holes at their cores. Previously, astronomers thought that a galaxy without a bulge could not have a supermassive black hole. In this illustration, jets shooting away from the black holes are depicted as thin streams.

source

to be clear speculation follows....

so here we have IMHO an optical/density effect.

we are looking side on to a lens

it distorts the image,
and at the perfect angle of incidence (exactly perfectly aligned) the lens edge would make a simi flat galaxy appair to be very flat,

almost too flat lol

i cant access my pics now but from the shape of galaxy lenses if gravitational lensing DL is used the side on convex lens that sourounds the galaxy, the result is

a very flat sharp image that looks distorted in proportion to its flatness and width.

so if we interperate the side on galaxy with a Density Lensing model the image on the outter edge of the lens would look perfectly flat

xploder
edit on 1-11-2011 by XPLodER because: edit pic format

edit on 1-11-2011 by XPLodER because: as speculation disclaimer

edit on 1-11-2011 by XPLodER because: remove excess pic

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
That is so cool. I am learning more and more everyday about our perceptions and understandings of galaxies etc. Thanks for sharing this. That is very intriguing indeed. I cannot view the images as there is something wrong with the links not working right.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Flint2011

ok this is only one interpretation of the data and anyone who wants to guess why this galaxy is flat is welcome to have a go at explaining why these galaxies are so flat...

any one got any other ideas?

will repost pics in op
xploder
edit on 1-11-2011 by XPLodER because: change context of message ofter reformatting op

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Could it just be ,that these particular galaxies are spinning faster due to having heavier black holes at their cores, therefore spreading the matter of which the galaxy is made over a wider , thinner plane? Just a thought.

I found myself thinking this , because when you toss a pizza slowly, it does not stretch out all that far. You end up with a deep pan. If you spin the thing quicker, it stretches out faster and thinner. Since the thing that gives galaxies thier spin, is likely as not the plughole like effect of a massively heavy gravity source at thier centres, is it not reasonable to apply the same basic principle to them?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So they thought some galaxies had supermassive black holes while others had regular black holes? Strange, i thought in all of their minds all galaxies were supposed to have supermassive black holes, since being a galaxy and all they would need to be held together by something like a supermassive black hole, this kind of news only makes them look like they don't have a clue.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

i like the line of reasoning.....
my question is would a supermassive black hole have to rotate very fast to "spin" the galaxy to the "thinnes" we see in the artists rep.

xplodr

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Well I dont know if you can say that a black hole moves itself. Think about this, water down a plug hole does not spin with the plughole does it? The cyclical movement around the plughole is totaly independant of the plug hole, which is stationary. We know that black holes can move around, but Im not sure that the hole itself is spinning. The matter falling into it is, but the hole need not move.

Perhaps the bigger the hole in space time, the faster the spin, the thinner the resulting galaxy? Perhaps theres a particular ratio of volume of galaxy to volume of black hole that could be to blame for these shapes?

new topics

top topics

join