It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price of peanut butter up as much as 40%

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
www.chicagotribune.com...

So, who buys peanut butter anyway ? Families with kids. People whose money is tight and they depend on it for one of their meals. In short, it's those people who can least afford this gigantic hike.

Peanut butter used to be the old stand-by. What's happening ? ! ! !

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
People still eat peanut butter?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by upstairsjim

How about planting potatos and other vegatables in your gardens, rearing chickens for eggs and meat. It isn't difficult. Get wise with where your food comes from. In the UK if you go direct to farmers you can get food at a far cheaper price than the chainstore supermarkets. Theres plenty of ways to cheap food, unfortunately for most it requires a little more effort than normal.

link   
Christmas is coming.... gotta make more Reese PB cups.

link   

Make your own. Why is it so hard to DIY?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by upstairsjim

Its getting banned everywhere because a few people are allergic to it, hence the need to raise the price in order to stay solvent.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I can take the hike in fuel costs, petrol, etc.
I can take the cuts on government spending.
BUT THIS IS TOO MUCH!
REVOLUTION!!!!!

What do we want?

CHEAP PEANUT BUTTER!!

When do we want it?

NOW!!!
edit on 1-11-2011 by BrianDamage because: to do editing type stuff

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
These companies have other products -
they could easily distribute the increase
to 40% in smaller percentages thru
multiple products. Peanut butter contains
protein and is essential for those on
low budgets that can't always afford
meat. Children as you said and those
on limited incomes. There should be
a ceiling on this product regardless of
the harvest. Next years harvest might
be good but I doubt that prices will go
down if it is.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by upstairsjim

So, who buys peanut butter anyway ? Families with kids. People whose money is tight and they depend on it for one of their meals. In short, it's those people who can least afford this gigantic hike.

shtf is what is happening, PB is one of the best emergency foods and they dont want people to be able to stock up on ridiculous amounts of it before the shtf. Also please read this thread it details what will happen when hyperinflation occurs. This may just be the beginning. HYPER INFLATION IS COMING!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Absco

Make your own. Why is it so hard to DIY?

It's not hard at all to DIY...but did you read the article??

"Sharp increases in peanut butter prices have begun going into effect following one of the worst peanut harvests in decades."

Means the cost of PEANUTS will be going up...which naturally affects the end-products. It will be almost as expensive to make your own...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Peanut butter and jelly sandwichs are probably the most common lunch children bring to school when not buying school lunch, and also for adults at work. In my opinion anyway. From what I have seen and experienced. Some will get fast food, some will buy a couple slices of pizza, but for the most part, people who bring their own lunch to school or work pack a PB&J.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jansy

It seems though that if the cost goes up, there will be a way that some company will make a cheaper version of the fluctuated PB. What makes that hilarious in this context is that the cheaper version is using ingredients that are less healthy, thus leading to an obesity or whatever "epidemic" and then parents, groups, will protest this company and it's alternatives which then leads the original PB company to invest in protecting their crop by maybe genetically modifying their crop or using hydroponics, which in turn leads to another hilarious argument about how the companies are trying to poison us.

The history of the world goes round and round, round and round, it always repeats and goes round and round, all through the days!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

I hate all of you...

Totally making a fried PB&J when I get home.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Didn't they have huge problems with the peanut crops because of fires and droughts? I bought 5 jars last time it was on sale, I was expecting this.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What about NUTELLA

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Didn't they have huge problems with the peanut crops because of fires and droughts? I bought 5 jars last time it was on sale, I was expecting this.

Then why didn't you warn the rest of us
How can you sleep at night.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
No PEANUT BUTTER????? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The end of the world has come!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage

Originally posted by snowspirit

Then why didn't you warn the rest of us
How can you sleep at night.

Now I feel guilty. I just thought ATSers would have remembered how awful the weather and the fires were.
I'm usually the one with the short memory.

I don't remember what other foods we lost.
Cotton is supposed to go up in price, same reason as the peanuts. Less demand though, I think.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

OK, star for you. We just finished our first-ever jar (?) of Nutella a few weeks back.

Good stuff. I just wish there weren't so much sugar, but it probably wouldn't be as tasty if not.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Do you mean the price of lard with a little bit of peanut in it went up 40%?

Read the label! Unless you get the expensive stuff that you have to stir to mix the peanut oil back in, you are buying mostly lard!

Stay the heck away from any peanut butter you see advertised on television!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join