It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Anyone Adds or Takes Away From This Book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've seen alot of quotes going around where people are using this verse to try and prove that the Bible has been altered from it's original. I don't really like to interpret scripture because I truly believe that it speaks for itself. However there seems to be alot of misunderstanding regarding these verses so I would like to help clarify it's meaning.

Let's take a look at these verses.

Revelation 22
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

The first thing that should be pointed out is that in verse 18 John says "the prophecy of this book" not the prophecy of another, only the prophecy which is contained in the Book of Revelation. Likewise in verse 19 he says "from the things which are written in this book" again John is referring to the Book of Revelation.

So how do we know that John was only talking about the Book of Revelation and not the entire Bible? Although the word book is used, the correct term here is scroll, there was no such thing as the Bible or even a book back then so it is impossible that John was talking about the Bible.

The Bible was not created until 390 A.D.

Those verses apply to the Scroll Of Revelation not the entire Bible.

I hope that clears up any confusion about what is meant by adding or taking away from Scripture.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
huzzah indeed.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

When I saw the title, I thought you were going to say the opposite. But, you sumed it up quite nicely!
edit on 1-11-2011 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
That's the truth my friend.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

Not only that but John had no clue that his book would end up being part of the book.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, there are other verses about changing the message that was given from God:

Deuteronomy 4:2 (KJV)
2. Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 (KJV)
32. What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Proverbs 30:5-6 (KJV)
5. Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidchin
Well, there are other verses about changing the message that was given from God:

Deuteronomy 4:2 (KJV)
2. Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 (KJV)
32. What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

These are God's word to the prophet. In otherwords, say exactly what I have said to you. Do not add your own slant.

Originally posted by davidchin
Proverbs 30:5-6 (KJV)
5. Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

This is truth. It is merely an admonition to declare truthfully what you see and hear. Otherwise you will be found a liar.

The only thing anyone can accurately report on is what they personally have experienced. To presume to speak for anyone elses experience is to be a liar.

Just my point of view of course.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I tried explaining this very thing to the ultra-religious trolls that populated my college campus. For some reason, I could never get it to sink in. They kept insisting the verse referred to the whole bible. This particular verse was a favorite quote when discussing Gnostic texts. When I answered, "What about what King James did to the Apocrypha?" The invariably answered, "The King James Version is the real Word of God!"

new topics

top topics

join