It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Makers of infamous BigDog robot unveil human version - PETMAN (w/ video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
To coin a rather classic phrase "Replicants [in this case robots] are like any other tool, they are either a hazard or a benefit; if they're a benefit it's not my problem." - Decker

Yes, we may be able to take some comfort in the notion that programming limitations can protect us from rogue machinery; but eventually, as was noted, AI will program better AI, and stronger AI; even if it only mimics intelligence, can be as damaging as other "unthinking" constructs are... take corporations for example.

Systemically applied logic can be a very cruel thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
1) Videogames AI aren't as "smart" as suggested... Yes, they can adapt to your kind of gameplay, but they can't learn.... they just have more variables to take in account... they can't (at least yet) learn a new concept than those that are hardcoded in it... you know, adapting the gameplay to the player is just one (or several for more accuracy) if () or a switch () statement in the "update loop" of the game... (well, not exactly since there are several programming languages other than C that are more suited for game AI developping... LISP for example

2) If you really want to fearmonger, Why imply some science-fiction AI far from what's available today ? If you have an army of robots, you could remote control them... Lack of people to control them ? No problem, release a free videogame in which you give control of a robot to each player (without telling him it's for real of course) ! FEAR !!!!

3) about the secret technology post, I think you underestimate the gap between "what's doable" and "what it would require"... Even if they are some hidden power tech somewhere, I doubt it would be enough... but that's just my opinion

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dtrock78
There's a funny alternate version of this on youtube. They spliced it to "Staying Alive".

Here ya go:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
HAL 9000

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
We better pray that some benevolent group can hack these things in the future.
If not, be very afraid - you think the 1% are scary now, wait till they control these things.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
i dont think robots have to be sentient in order to consider us a threat, robots operate by unbreakable rules however we dont, if we were to break a rule the robots deamed threatning we could be in there sights.
edit on 1-11-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I don't know why everyone is so afraid of them, I would prefer to face one of these than a another Human being.
Ps I want one

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Lol
Thats my theme tune when I walk as well

(Only a ladies man in my own head lol)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It was interesting reading about the future of robotics. Already building body parts that far surpass the original and feel it is a matter of time before people are part machine and part organic. With the development of advanced robotics it is speculated robots will be used as sort of a slave race and there is a fear of exploitation and even abuse and cruelty. I know it is hard to imagine - considering what we are lacking for flesh and blood humans right now - but many are certain we will even come to see protective measures such as Constitutional protections put in place for the bots.

This is a very interesting 15 min. chat with Dan Barry about the Future of Semi-autonomous Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. Robots that can read facial expression, sense hostile environments and perform physical therapy...as opposed to "remote controlled" robots that might enter a fire and pull out a victim. Projected human/robot emotional bonds are expected to develop and it is theorized we will attribute human qualities and "fall in love with our robots." This is partly based on the audience empathetic response when Big Dog is kicked loses his balance and nearly falls over. www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-11-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find -- grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Blech!

I mean...what about identification of the deceased?
Maybe as it eats it records DNA and all that?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
they spent tens of millions of dollars, used they best cyber tech and hardware to date to construct a robot and their reason is:

" ...to mimic the way human soldiers move so as to test army clothes for use in hazardous environments."

a clothes tester?

couldn't they just have used a soldier, he's free, and use harmless chemicals that mimic hazardous ones to test the clothes and save millions.

it just doesn't make sense. i'm sure we're going to see this thing walking around with two mini guns instead of arms, facial recognition software, and an itchy trigger finger.

edit on 2-11-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Interestingly, the robot wasn’t made to scare anyone, or even to go into battle.

Actually, thats scary as hell!

Interestingly, when tracked vehicles first came out, they were called "tractors". For farming and construction. No one thought of mounting a gun turret on top of them then either. For now, large blinking diode where scary T2 face will be. Without a smiley face or carved pumpkin up there it's just barely tolerable as a "test bed" for GI clothing? (LOL)

Now Hear This. This is a test of the emergency robot system. If this had been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed to stay at home and draw the shades. Its not safe.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
massive dynamics-boston dynamics-fringe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
C'mon guys.

You'd think the DARPA would really trot out it's Tier 1 projects? The $@#% they're really working on?

The answer is a definitive "no". I can guarantee you they're developing some type of robotic combat model, if they've already "publicly" revealed something that tests clothes. They're light years ahead of this, both in mechanics and AI.

They had a good article about 2 years back in Popular Mechanics about DARPAs dabbling in AI (for what ultimate purpose, god only knows). They are on the fringe point to where AI will start learning orders of magnitude faster than the human brain. Their testing facility is in an underground bunker, completely cut off from the outside world, similar how they would build a bioweapons facility, complete with the "flash" button. Problem is, these "bugs" will eventually learn how to get out, IMO.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

They cut the video out just before it trips on it's power supply cable and goes on a rampage killing fifteen engineers.

Still, you can't make a robot without breaking a few necks.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostjohnny
reply to post by Maxmars

They cut the video out just before it trips on it's power supply cable and goes on a rampage killing fifteen engineers.

Still, you can't make a robot without breaking a few necks.

lol that made me giggle lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join