It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia’s Shorter University tells workers to sign pledge they are not gay

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Does a religious university have the right to put such strict standards on their professors?

So it would surprise you to learn there's no federal law that prevents it?

16 individual states have passed anti-discrimination laws that make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. Georgia isn't one of them.

Some corporations and private entities have their own rules prohibiting it, but there's no applicable federal regulation.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
reply to post by PrimalRed

Actually, I haven't told anyone what to think. I just absolutely despise when people say we should just avoid whatever bothers us, as if it's bothering us for no reason.

So in a nutshell; its okay to despise someone for their views as long as those views are against yours, then they are just stupid bigots. Sounds like the Klansman calling the neo-nazi white

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Why are you only focusing on the homosexual part of the pledge?

Are you ok with them not wanting to have adultuerers or those having pre-marital sex on their faculty?

Why is everyone so fixated on the homosexual issue?

Bottom line...the private university is within their right to hire people that they think would promote their religious values.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

16 individual states have passed anti-discrimination laws that make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. Georgia isn't one of them.

I'm not sure that extends to religious institutions though.

That would violate the 1st Amendment.

edit on 1-11-2011 by NOTurTypical because: 2nd line added

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Are you ok with them not wanting to have adultuerers or those having pre-marital sex on their faculty?

Is there any place that lets their staff have any kind sex at work aside from the adult film industry?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Alas, Babylon.

When the Baptists spend more time sheltering the homeless, feeding the hungry, curing the sick and injured and calling for peace during time of war, I will take them seriously.

Until then: I never knew them.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed

Is there any place that lets their staff have any kind sex at work aside from the adult film industry?

It's not about sex...it's about conflicting interests.

Would an elementary school want one of their teachers to be a stripper on the weekend?

Would the NAACP want a KKK member working for them?

Would a church want an atheists to be a pastor?

None of those activities are illegal...but they are a conflict of interest to the organizations goals.

So are you, and others in the post, saying that the NAACP should be forced to hire KKK members? Should elemantary schools be forced to hire strippers???

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

Alas, Babylon.

When the Baptists spend more time sheltering the homeless, feeding the hungry, curing the sick and injured and calling for peace during time of war, I will take them seriously.

I'm not even Baptist, but I believe their rights are just as important as people who have homosexual sex.

Like I previously said, one person's rights end precisely where another person's rights begin.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

So are you, and others in the post, saying that the NAACP should be forced to hire KKK members? Should elemantary schools be forced to hire strippers???

Quite the opposite, I think businesses should be able to hire anyone they want and should be able to freely discriminate so long as they are not getting any financial aid from state or government. If people do not like it they should feel free to not do business at places that practice discrimination, that is freedom.
edit on 1-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Plz delete
edit on 1-11-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

Alas, Babylon.

So you're fighting perceived intolerance with..

intolerance??

Does that make sense to you?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

People I know LOVE Atlanta, or is Atlanta the exception?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

If they are getting federal funding, then they are not allowed to discriminate. And they still have to be ADA accessible, you could of taken them to court.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
please delete
edit on 1-11-2011 by PrimalRed because: it was quoting a removed post so i just look crazy

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

reply to post by hadriana

If they are getting federal funding, then they are not allowed to discriminate. And they still have to be ADA accessible, you could of taken them to court.

I'm waaaaay more upset they aren't ADA accessible than the homosexuality thing. Who one chooses to bed shouldn't be public knowledge anyways.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
When first hearing about this, and looking up about this university, it was, so big deal it is a religious school, the mission statement is very clear cut on that and thus why would this be newsworthy to warrant attention.

However, after giving it some thought, there are now questions that are coming up that should be answered, and many people are asking them.
At what point does an employer have the right to interfere in the private life of an employee when they are not working?
After all most of the activities mentioned, you can not do while on the job, so most would have to be while away from work, and why is a persons private life of any concern to any prospective employer? Are they part of the federal government, working with top secret materials? Do they, as an employer have the right to curtail the activities of their employees if the actions are not legal, and where would the courts stand in cases similar to what is occurring here?

That latter question, that has more of an importance to what they can and can not get away with. While no where in the constitution of the USA, it is not specifically mentioned the right of privacy, the courts have always ruled, that there is a ground and a backing for that right. Further to add to that, what goes on in a persons bedroom is their own business and not of anyone else’s let along that of the state or any employer, unless the employer is providing the place where an employee is staying, and even then, there is still the element of privacy that is to be maintained and accepted.

But beyond that, the question of how will they implement this and will it turn into a witch hunt on the part of the staff, they don’t like one of the professors, or a student who is failing a class, will they be able to turn around and use it as justification to terminate an employee easily for violating a code of conduct that travels into an area that it should not? Combine that with the already preconceived notions about homosexuality and what is next the students who go there to learn, are their activities to be monitored 24/7 and if they step out of line, expelled or kicked out of the school with no recourse?

This is a lawsuit waiting to happen, make no mistake on this one, especially if it leads to a witch hunt, or a student being kicked out, or a death. Combine if it impeded when a professor is not on the clock and in his or her private home and this university could ultimately lose big time.

Further to complicate matters, they are also requiring that the staff attend churches and help out the local community, would that also mean that they would then engage publicly in actions of discrimination against those who may be suspected as being gay, or even viscous rumors of such?
Gay people for the most part, are no different from anyone person, chances are there are gay people in everyone’s family, how would a rule like that affect the staff, say the dean of the college, if his son turned out to be gay, would it mean that his job is now in jeopardy for the actions of a close family member? Or what if a staff member, their spouse was out having an affair, how would it affect them if it came out?

The more that we think about this, the more questions are coming up, and it would be a real shame if the students there were to suffer due to the lack of compassion and the use of religion to exclude a part of society that may have something to teach them. What if Einstein, or De Vinci or Michelangelo, were alive today and did have gay lovers, but it was not known, but were sought after to teach, would it be ok to say no the best and the brightest can not teach cause they are one thing and not part of what is considered normal, would that be ok? If you look from a historical point of view there are many cases where just that happened, where one group of society was denied the full privileges and rights of the society they live in all cause they were of a group that was not allowed to participate, and many of what they did still affects us today.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
While I do not agree with it personally. Of course they do. It has to do with their fundamental core beliefs behind their religion, it is no different than them saying they wouldn't accept devil worshipers into their cult errm ,organization. . . At least it seems logical yet very ignorant if I dare say so.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

It is kind of strange that they are not allowed to discriminate on gender and race, but sexual orientation is not included.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It is kind of strange that they are not allowed to discriminate on gender and race, but sexual orientation is not included.

Because after all the painstaking work of mapping the human genome, researchers have failed to find a "gay gene". It's not genetic.

Here

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join