It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek referendum ignites German anger

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The 50% haircut is on debt owned by us the taxpayers around Europe, not investment bankers or the other super rich

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Who owns your debt? And who owns their debt? And then who own their debt?

This current system can not be sustained, I have no idea how one might think otherwise. Just sit back and let it happen and try not to get into too much trouble when it does.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Greek referendum ignites German anger

Greece should have washed their hands of the euro way back, along with Spain Ireland & Portugal, it's the IMF and the ECB calling the shots, every six months another bailout

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Albert Einstein.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JudgeDeath

Greece joined the Euro because they thought it would continue the gravy train. They then couldn't hold their end up (and in fairness were never in a position to)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Let's make it clear on whom were responsible for joining EU and worse, with cooked books.

Very often, the Greek Soveriegn People are the last to know anything, for the leaders, both economic and political - either in their wisdom and in reality, their delusion and foolishness - are the ones fully responsible for this mess.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Okay, that is a fair point and one that i concede. I still fail to understand though how the Greek protestors cannot grasp the reality of what is happening. They get out far more than they pay in. The only way to solve this is to work longer and pay more in. If they default, do they seriously think things will get better for them?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

It wont get better for them for a while.

But can you not see that they are placed perfectly to destroy the folly of the EU?

I say let them or we just go down the same path we are on - I do hope you are not advocating we stay on this path?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The quicker Greece get out of the Euro the better. They will struggle for a few years but will keep their sovereignty and will eventually come out the other end. Germany wants to keep a lid on their anger. We've seen where that has lead in the past.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
World needs a dept reset

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I don't want to seem off topic but some of the history being mentioned in this thread is a bit skewed, or light.
Germany didn't start WWI anymore than England did. They were allied with an empire that wanted a war and was given an excuse to have one. A system of entangling alliances kicked in and Germany ended up on a side. Very little difference in their actions in starting that one and the actions of any of the other still existing European Nations. Russia may have had slightly better reasons than just the paper trail of alliances given that they felt their ethnic brothers the Serbs were being abused.

At the end of WWI it was the French who insisted that Germany BOTH be stripped of their manufacturing capacity (for fear it could be turned to war again in the future) AND pay huge war reparations. The German economy could not handle both and it was the Treaty of Versailles ending WWI which effectively caused WWII. For real, if you had to use sacks of money to pay for bread wouldn't you go to war too? Not excusing the atrocities of war or saying that it is in any way good, just being realistic.

It matters to get the history right because the EU was really created to make the nations of Europe so interdependant that they couldn't war anymore. The thought was that having a single currency could prevent war. It worked great until somebody risked messing up the currency. Now, it just may cause the kind of wars it was intended to prevent. But, if that is the case then those wars would have occurred anyway, so nothing lost by trying.

It's just starting to get interesting.
But it doesn't look happy.
edit on 2-11-2011 by watcher3339 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

I can't speak for other members but my point on that subject is that germany and much of europe really is in no position morally or ethically to demand their money back and then threaten.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I think thats about enough. the people promised a referendum
and then taken away, as a move of brinkmanship. It's time
for that greek revolution. bring greece to a stand still and don't
go back to work until you get you vote. fight the power, damb the man.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist
So now we read Germany is reacting to the referendum with anger.

More likely a little artificial crisis to allow some big boys to cover their shorts, then carry on as scheduled.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
The anger you heard from EU, are not the European Sovereign People, but only the puppet leaders tearing their hair out working out deals with the culprits- bankers and elites, to provide the bailout funds.

Absolutely right.

I am actually German.

Myself, everyone I talked to, my friends, my family and according to the latest poll of "Tagesschau" (German tv news service) almost 70% of the German People were in favour of a greek referendum.

Many Germans know what caused the crisis and that the Greek People are not to blame for the mess their country is facing right now.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join