It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Corporation of London is ripe for protest.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
It seems that Occupy London has managed to get the media to shine some light on London City Corporation. The Corporation of London is it's own municipality with it's own Mayor and it's own police force.

It's the dark heart of Britain, the place where democracy goes to die, immensely powerful, equally unaccountable. But I doubt that one in 10 British people has any idea of what the Corporation of the City of London is and how it works. This could be about to change. Alongside the Church of England, the Corporation is seeking to evict the protesters camped outside St Paul's cathedral. The protesters, in turn, have demanded that it submit to national oversight and control.

You can say what you like about the Occupy movement, but I'm glad Occupy London is bringing to light some important hypocrisies that lie within the British establishment. From St Pauls Cathedrals corporate partners and The City of London Corporation.

No wonder the establishment is in such a fuss over what to do with the protesters.

As Nicholas Shaxson explains in his fascinating book Treasure Islands, the Corporation exists outside many of the laws and democratic controls which govern the rest of the United Kingdom. The City of London is the only part of Britain over which parliament has no authority. In one respect at least the Corporation acts as the superior body: it imposes on the House of Commons a figure called the remembrancer: an official lobbyist who sits behind the Speaker's chair and ensures that, whatever our elected representatives might think, the City's rights and privileges are protected. The mayor of London's mandate stops at the boundaries of the Square Mile. There are, as if in a novel by China Miéville, two cities, one of which must unsee the other.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Oh boy...gonna see riots come out of this because the protesters won't give up...

Doesn't help when the masses are brainwashed into thinking these protesters are only anarchists and communists!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Didn't know about these laws..

Sounds a little like the Vatican or DC...

Will be good for people to learn more about these sneaky laws they probably hadn't known were passed..

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
As an add on to this, the Queen has to ask permission to enter the City, she is not allowed in there without permission. Every act enabled by parliament has to go through the City first, so that it doesn't affect them.

You also need to look at the C'EST TUI QUE act of 1667 or thereabouts that declared everyone dead after the great fire of london, that will tell you some more about the 'Corporation of London'

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There are three such cities.

London,
Washington DC
The Vatican.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
poor Bojo is gonna be working hard.
lol

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This part I find interesting: Just goes to show the corruption and the greed which occurs in that city. Its a no wonder people do not trust this authority what so ever.

In the remaining 21, the votes are controlled by corporations, mostly banks and other financial companies. The bigger the business, the bigger the vote: a company with 10 workers gets two votes, the biggest employers, 79. It's not the workers who decide how the votes are cast, but the bosses, who "appoint" the voters. Plutocracy, pure and simple.

So is the Met Police owned by the Government and the City London Police owned by this Authority? If someone can clear that up for me thank you.

edit on 1-11-2011 by AnonymousFem because: Fixing spelling

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I think this was my favorite part

The City of London is the only part of Britain over which parliament has no authority. In one respect at least the Corporation acts as the superior body: it imposes on the House of Commons a figure called the remembrancer: an official lobbyist who sits behind the Speaker's chair and ensures that, whatever our elected representatives might think, the City's rights and privileges are protected.

Then followed the link to see who the "remembrancer" is. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk...

the Remembrancer "to continue to attend Parliament and the offices of the Secretaries of State daily, and acquaint the Lord Mayor with the public affairs and other business transacted there, relating to the City".

Well at least I've learnt a few more things about The Corporation of London that I never knew.
edit on 1-11-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The link was a great read and confirms much that was suspected and provides some specifics on the actual workings of this secretive yet most influential organisation / corporation.

It is quite worrying that several governments have failed miserably to reign in it's powers.

It certainly warrants further research and more in depth scrutiny and exposure.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

very interesting video

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the video.
I heard about the Vatican being a city state and some mussing about DC being a corporation but this is the first time I have learned about the city of London.

The three city empire
DC =Military
London= Finance
Vatican= Religion

Pretty unnerving
edit on 1-11-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Very interesting and informative video. It shows that the 3 cities are interconnected. Vatican head of religion, London head of finance and Washington DC head of the military arm. This is the road map for OWS to protest if they are serious. It is time to cut the head off of the snake if they dare.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I used to run a pub in Whitechapel in ec1 London and after work sometime's myself and my headbarman used to go for a walk and have a smoke (What I was younger
)in the square mile, normally at around 1am, it's so different at night, like a ghost town, massive buildings all with camera's on all of them following our late night stroll.
Every time The city police (funny checked shirts) would turn up and ask us what we were doing and I would just mention I ran the pub they all drank in and they would laugh and say "well move on and go home" its because the money in that square mile is more than an average small country.
In fact just thinking about it makes me giggle because my mate would point out a camera following us and we would back track and the camera would follow so we always gave em a little dance and a wave.
I bet the security used to say "Those two stoners are back" lol
edit on 1-11-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join