It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consider this amazing statistic about social influence.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Consider this:

Before the 1973 book and 1976 movie based on the book “Sybil” there were roughly 50 reported cases of Multiple Personality Disorder or Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) as it is now called. By 1994 there were roughly 40,000 cases, today that number is expected to be in the hundreds of thousands; as its numbers have grown exponentially since the release.
www.imdb.com...

Sybil: The true story of a young woman named Sybil, whose childhood was so harrowing to her that she developed at least 13 different personalities.

I am sure that this statistic will mean many different things to different people.
But this alone is a shocking statistic that I believe almost proves the power of social influence. There is no better experiment then real life when it comes to psychology.
So let’s imagine a scenario:
You work for a large pharmaceutical company and see these statistics relating to the growth of DID after the release of Sybil. It teaches you how social influence can indeed increase rates of mental illness; which gives you a lucrative business opportunity. See the sales of mental illness drugs reach many billions, so it is in the interest of the pharmaceutical companies to increase rates of mental illness.
This is made possible mostly by the field of psychology which in many cases convinces people that they have a mental illness.
I believe that this is happens because it is a form of oppression and control. When people start taking drugs which are designed to control our brains chemicals we begin to loose our self control and drive to speak out or think for ourselves. Governments do not care to take action because they make money from taxing this billion dollar industry.

(Image courtesy of link directly below.)
A must read article.

The development of political agenda-setting through the use of sophisticated public relations techniques is threatening to undermine the delicate balance of representative democracy. This has important ramifications for policies aimed at providing mental health services and the implementation of mental health laws. The principal agenda setters in this area are pharmaceutical companies with commercial reasons to promote public policies that expand the sales of their products. They have manufactured highly effective advocacy coalitions that incorporate front groups in order to set the policy agenda for mental health. However, policies tailored to their commercial purpose are not necessarily beneficial either for patients or the society at large.

The conceptualisation of mental illness differs from culture to culture, as the level of stigma attached to mental disorder and mental health problems. There is some evidence that people with mental illness may be more stigmatised and marginalised in some cultural groups.

A report on Alzheimer's disease in the world published last year by the International Alzheimer's Disease shows that about 35.6 million people will suffer from dementia in 2010 and this figure will double every 20 years, reaching 65.7 million in 2030 affected and about 115.4 million in 2050.

It also serves as a form of population control; which certainly is a technique in place globally today. Personally I don’t have a problem with that because sadly it is needed; but when individuals profit from that then something is very wrong. Follow the money.

Remember people, there is no science behind psychology. Your mental illness is based on speculation; so how can they accurately treat it? Especially if most mental illness are so similar that being diagnosed as one is just as likely as another. So called 'medical professionals' psychiatrists literally pick your diagnoses out of a hat.
The drugs given for mental illness have not been properly researched.

How the drug companies are controlling our lives--Part 1
How the drug companies are controlling our lives--Part 2
How the drug companies are controlling our lives--Part 3

The first two videos are very long, but if you cant watch them all even the first 5-10 minutes will give you some vital information.

Listen to a rep. for a major pharmaceutical corporation speak out about the dangers:

Her website with more info.

I am not trying to convince you of anything.
I am simply giving you the evidence that is out there, it may tell you a lot of things. But there is no denying that when money controls our medical industry; corruption will take over. We are not being told the truth.

The information in this thread can actually tell us a lot about human psychology in all aspects of life. How many other ideas are pushed on us by social influence?

Please help share this information because sadly not enough people know.

edit on 31-10-2011 by KnowYourEnemy because: fixed a link

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Pharmaceutical companies also install the stigma around mental illness in society. This is a simple business practice; make people want and need your product. If people fear being treated differently they are more likely to comply.
Treating mental illness with diet

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KnowYourEnemy

wow thankyou. That speaks volumes. Is the world what it is or what we make it....
looks like what we make it.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Interesting post, I agree with some of it and disagree with some more.

I agree that profit is definitely a factor in today's medicine. Some countries more than others. USA I'd have to say is definitely at the top of profit trumps health countries, sadly.

On the other hand, this is not the case everywhere, and doctors around the world really do believe in not harming another human, helping every person, even if an enemy on the combat field and so on.

On the other hand, psychiatry is not pulling diagnoses out of a hat. Coming from a long line of psychiatrists in my family, all based in Europe, I can safely say it is a science and requires much, much training. Do I think psychiatrists in America over-prescribe? Heck yeah. My father would say that as well, he despises what psychiatry is in the USA.

Note: I did NOT follow in those footsteps and become a psychiatrist, so I am not trying to represent myself as something I am not. My experience of psychiatry only comes from the experience of having a group of psychiatrists in the family my entire life, and from reading their medical books, papers and periodicals. Once I came to America I went a fairly opposite path and became an opera singer and a visual artist.

Back to topic... much needs to be changed in the USA to make psychiatry the science that it is but I am of the opinion that mind is truly superior to matter, that we can control much of what we think is random, including diseases. It is my belief that one day, far into the future, physical ailment will be regarded as an illness of the mind. Psychiatry will still be around, whatever shape it takes then.

Khar

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

wow thankyou. That speaks volumes. Is the world what it is or what we make it....
looks like what we make it.

No problem! It really does, its scary in a sense.
Our minds are what we make them, i know that for sure. As for the world, well the world made us.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
my father is currently suffering dementia...its nasty...the whole system designed that way...its not just the crazy pills its all the pills,they are designed to keep u alive..just..so as long as you can pay...you get to live longer...

i read somewhere in another post...they are fixing us and making us live longer..but there not fixing taxes......so they can tax us longer....

im still waiting for the sunlight tax

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

Interesting post, I agree with some of it and disagree with some more.

I agree that profit is definitely a factor in today's medicine. Some countries more than others. USA I'd have to say is definitely at the top of profit trumps health countries, sadly.

On the other hand, this is not the case everywhere, and doctors around the world really do believe in not harming another human, helping every person, even if an enemy on the combat field and so on.

On the other hand, psychiatry is not pulling diagnoses out of a hat. Coming from a long line of psychiatrists in my family, all based in Europe, I can safely say it is a science and requires much, much training. Do I think psychiatrists in America over-prescribe? Heck yeah. My father would say that as well, he despises what psychiatry is in the USA.

Note: I did NOT follow in those footsteps and become a psychiatrist, so I am not trying to represent myself as something I am not. My experience of psychiatry only comes from the experience of having a group of psychiatrists in the family my entire life, and from reading their medical books, papers and periodicals. Once I came to America I went a fairly opposite path and became an opera singer and a visual artist.

Back to topic... much needs to be changed in the USA to make psychiatry the science that it is but I am of the opinion that mind is truly superior to matter, that we can control much of what we think is random, including diseases. It is my belief that one day, far into the future, physical ailment will be regarded as an illness of the mind. Psychiatry will still be around, whatever shape it takes then.

Khar

Thanks for your input!
Yes it’s a sad fact, and when profit rules over this industry; people come last.
Your right that their are good sides, but this is very hard to find in the field of mental illness. The key role is to get people prescribed to drugs, it comes for most people on the first or second appointment. Even tho most psychiatrists will admit it can take years to actually understand a persons 'condition'.
Although there is knowledge behind understanding these problems, it isn’t a science and is definitely based on opinion and assumption. This means that medication should not be prescribed, but talking with the patient is a good idea and should be the first port of call; not medication.
In most western countries, and many others im sure; over prescription is a given. It starts from the day a baby is born. ADHD or ADD treatment is a great example, there is no evidence that it is anything more then natural and due to modern lifestyles; but doctors have no problems prescribing incredibly dangerous drugs for which most long term effects are not known or researched.
I am a believer that everyone knows quite a lot about psychology and that studying it can actually hide what natural understanding we have. Although it is good and effective in some areas; most areas of the field are not.

Your last paragraph is good so i will not add to it apart from saying: I often wonder that if our rate of use of these drugs continues to grow; will future generations be able to advance us or could it be our own undoing. I know this sounds drastic, but from everything I have learnt about these drugs there are severe unknown long term effects and they are ruining the natural evolution of our minds. It’s a downward spiral.
Take care.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
All this # is about to get tossed out once this planet reaches the frequency called: Star. Boom.

That day is steadily approaching.

Lol, am I schizophrenic for saying that? Sure.

There are many 'border gaurds' to this reality, the pill industry is one. You wouldn't believe how many angles they have come at us to degrade consciousness. Not one rock has been left unturned...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hopenotfeariswhatweneed
my father is currently suffering dementia...its nasty...the whole system designed that way...its not just the crazy pills its all the pills,they are designed to keep u alive..just..so as long as you can pay...you get to live longer...

i read somewhere in another post...they are fixing us and making us live longer..but there not fixing taxes......so they can tax us longer....

im still waiting for the sunlight tax

Yes dementia is one of the saddest things; I am sorry for your situation.
I believe that many of the people suffering dementia today are suffering an effect of our modern longer lives. There may also be environmental causes such as the chemicals we inhale, consume and absorb everyday.
For a corporation, treatment is better then prevention because it makes more money.

I don’t think tax will be an issue for much longer considering where the economy is heading.

I’m surprised there’s not a tax for paying tax.
Take care.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherAccount
All this # is about to get tossed out once this planet reaches the frequency called: Star. Boom.

That day is steadily approaching.

Lol, am I schizophrenic for saying that? Sure.

There are many 'border gaurds' to this reality, the pill industry is one. You wouldn't believe how many angles they have come at us to degrade consciousness. Not one rock has been left unturned...

Your certainly not a schizophrenic for saying that.
You are only living one reality and thought process; if that is 'insane' then everyone is. Because everyone believes in something and following the majority actually makes you more insane because you’re inhibited by human psychology which will let the crowd think for you, not yourself.

I agree everyday we are bombarded with a very strange reality that is considered normal by many. The majority is biased because it’s all they know.
If you take everything with a grain of salt and think for yourself you should be ok.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I hate to ask, but if you agree with this please flag it or tell someone you know about it.
The fact not many people care or know about this is in my mind more evidence of the brainwashing used by these people.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I agree with you fully, man. Medication should never be prescribed on the first, second or even tenth appointment, unless the patient or others around are in danger and sedation is needed.

My view of psychiatry is using your training and knowledge to diagnose a deep rooted problem that will require probably as long to undo as it has taken to surface. I also think therapy should be done, whenever possible, without any psychotropics.

If I broke my knee, underwent surgery, and had to go through a year of physical therapy I'm of the equal opinion that pain killers should not be used as an aid in this therapy. Knowing your body and your limits is essential. Over-prescription dulls the mind, suppresses the issue and does not deal with the illness that a psychiatrist should be trying to cure. But medicine is only a business in the USA and the sooner a patient can be put on meds and the insurance company charged, the faster another patient can get their eight minutes with the doctor.

Khar

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

I agree with you fully, man. Medication should never be prescribed on the first, second or even tenth appointment, unless the patient or others around are in danger and sedation is needed.

My view of psychiatry is using your training and knowledge to diagnose a deep rooted problem that will require probably as long to undo as it has taken to surface. I also think therapy should be done, whenever possible, without any psychotropics.

If I broke my knee, underwent surgery, and had to go through a year of physical therapy I'm of the equal opinion that pain killers should not be used as an aid in this therapy. Knowing your body and your limits is essential. Over-prescription dulls the mind, suppresses the issue and does not deal with the illness that a psychiatrist should be trying to cure. But medicine is only a business in the USA and the sooner a patient can be put on meds and the insurance company charged, the faster another patient can get their eight minutes with the doctor.

Khar

Of course medication is needed in some cases but considering somewhere around 500 million people use psychotropic’s the people who need them would be somewhere around 1-5%.
I agree therapy is important but it can also make things worse for some people, where they can become convinced of something that isn’t there.
I have rarely used medication in my life. Most peoples first thought when a medical issue arises is to go to the doctor. Mine is to find a homemade remedy or cure; a lot of the time this works fine. But people need to spend more time looking at the cause not the cure.
Its hard to know your limits when one of the most trusted figures in our society, a doctor tells you that you need more and more drugs for every little problem.
Exactly right, but their are also many more problems such as the mutation of super bugs, patents of life saving ideas that will never be used because they are not profitable and there are many more.
There are two solutions in my mind:
1. Stop making medicine an industry governed by money.
2. Prescribe drugs by advanced robots that cannot be swayed by pharmaceutical companies.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Well... All the 'truth' shared around here is subjective. Almost anything you hear is. It's simply someone's understanding or worldview, however limited, projected onto another. That has been the modus operandi in this world, especially with the introduction of Western Culture... No?

Just know, there are much deeper universal truths available for discovery. I believe, in the original essence of that word, that this reality is about to totally transform beyond any scientific institution's studies or conclusions.

You can tap into many things through feeling. Thought isn't especially sacred, despite common opinion... This planet sure turned insane a couple thousand years ago. I'm reminded every single day.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
There was a show that I'd seen lately(trying to remember) that explained about the whole Sybil. Basically they noted that a lot of the story was built of the writers added effect to the time line. Not to say these things don't exist at all, but they commented on how it was blown out of proportion. First time I hear that since school health class(90's) had classmates and I watch it.
Here's one source about it...

Interesting info that you shared, so, if the story is "faked"...what does that mean about the influence?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I work in a Mental Health unit and it is hit and miss with the medication they give out, some works for one person and others work for another, but I have noticed a lot of press saying you can cure mental illness with diet etc,
I see the things people can do when mentally ill and it scare's me.
I had one patient who had to stop taking his med's because of some health scare and he was off them for a week and boy he was way way way worse than he was when he took his med's.
Mental illness can be caused by a lot of different factors and trust me when I say it's better for those people and everyone else around them that they take the med's.
Its the hardest job I have ever had and the amount of time's I have come home in tears because a patient I have been working with and get on with attack's me and beats the crap outa me because of his illness.
The burnout rate is one in three in my job and the company I work for have a special unit for staff who have burnt out or started to get mentally ill themselves because of the job.
I dont think we will fully understand mental illness for a long time but at the moment lets leave the treating of it to the professionals.
And remember mental illness will affect one in three of us in our life times. So don't laugh at people you meet who are mental.
BM xxx

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherAccount

Well... All the 'truth' shared around here is subjective. Almost anything you hear is. It's simply someone's understanding or worldview, however limited, projected onto another. That has been the modus operandi in this world, especially with the introduction of Western Culture... No?

Just know, there are much deeper universal truths available for discovery. I believe, in the original essence of that word, that this reality is about to totally transform beyond any scientific institution's studies or conclusions.

You can tap into many things through feeling. Thought isn't especially sacred, despite common opinion... This planet sure turned insane a couple thousand years ago. I'm reminded every single day.

Yes of course but that doesn’t mean we go try making profit at peoples expense for our understanding of things. If you can’t prove it you shouldn’t be doing it, in a medical view and certainly what should be legal.
It has in part been a way of western culture, but for as long as we have done it we have never learnt to look at long term effects and possible problems, because profit comes first.

Yes our mind is very complex, that’s why I don’t like pharmaceutical companies ruining it.
Your right, for our entire history we have been butchers with no morals, today is no different. But these people are not considered insane because that’s the majority view of society. We choice what is normal, and what is not. Some people don’t think this way and end up getting looked at negatively, while just as messed up people are praised because they follow a trend. It’s a weird world.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
There was a show that I'd seen lately(trying to remember) that explained about the whole Sybil. Basically they noted that a lot of the story was built of the writers added effect to the time line. Not to say these things don't exist at all, but they commented on how it was blown out of proportion. First time I hear that since school health class(90's) had classmates and I watch it.
Here's one source about it...

Interesting info that you shared, so, if the story is "faked"...what does that mean about the influence?
Sounds interesting. I had heard vaguley that a lot of the film was extremley exaggarted if not made up.

Well i dont know if its faked but it really shows the same think either way.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I work in a Mental Health unit and it is hit and miss with the medication they give out, some works for one person and others work for another, but I have noticed a lot of press saying you can cure mental illness with diet etc,
I see the things people can do when mentally ill and it scare's me.
I had one patient who had to stop taking his med's because of some health scare and he was off them for a week and boy he was way way way worse than he was when he took his med's.
Mental illness can be caused by a lot of different factors and trust me when I say it's better for those people and everyone else around them that they take the med's.
Its the hardest job I have ever had and the amount of time's I have come home in tears because a patient I have been working with and get on with attack's me and beats the crap outa me because of his illness.
The burnout rate is one in three in my job and the company I work for have a special unit for staff who have burnt out or started to get mentally ill themselves because of the job.
I dont think we will fully understand mental illness for a long time but at the moment lets leave the treating of it to the professionals.
And remember mental illness will affect one in three of us in our life times. So don't laugh at people you meet who are mental.
BM xxx

Thanks for the input.
That’s a good point, it is very individual. I think the saying goes every mental illness is unique, or something along those lines. These drugs each do very specific things and when a different diagnoses and medication is only a checkbox away, there is no way to promise successful treatment or the correct treatment at all.
I believe it is 100% true you can prevent mental illness with good diet and an active lifestyle, but it probably won’t work for all treatments.
A lot of people who get extremely angry are addicted to the drugs, wether they know it our yet.

It would be a hard job and thankyou for what you do. You people are highly underpaid.
I think mental illness would be simple to work out and that corporations already have.

Why are you calling them mental if you work in the field?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Excellent start here, and well presented. Plus, I happen to agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Also, Sybil was faked. I believe this is brand new information, personally just read about it last week or so, but it was a conspiracy between 3 women to make a buck. Here is an NPR article about it.

Article on NPR

You might add this to your original post, as it lends credibility to what you are saying.

S and F for you friend!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join