It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies that make you question Religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have seen some great movies recently and they all have great message's here are a couple and I would like you to try and watch them.
If you have any others post em here so I can catch them

1st one Red State, great movie a lot to think about.

www.imdb.com...

2nd one The man from earth all I can say is wow!!.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I liked Dogma with George Carlin as a very convincing pope!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

I liked Dogma with George Carlin as a very convincing pope!

Dogma I forgot about that one and alanis morrisette was God

Good one

Oh and Red State is directed by the same fella who made Dogma Kevin Smith check it out

edit on 31-10-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

If you would expand the movie requirement to include any media, I would choose George Carlin, "interview with Jesus".

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

If you would expand the movie requirement to include any media, I would choose George Carlin, "interview with Jesus".

Ooooo will check it out cheers

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
One movie only has made me question my religion. The Last Temptation of Christ. Any movie that causes the vatican to soil their versace underwear always gets my vote.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The Life of Brian probably would make my list as one.
It also has a catchy song

edit on 31-10-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Religion made me question religion. Being taught religion from a young age made me reject religion well before any movie ever could...so sadly I can't list even one movie along these lines. I generally avoid movies that delve into religion. But certainly an interesting thread to check back on in a few days, perhaps some of the films being listed will convince me to watch some. Star for you.
edit on 31-10-2011 by markymint because: Forgot to say I'm giving the OP a star. A lovely little bright blue star that brightens the dark greys and blues of the ATS forum.

link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

He is not the Messiah He's a very naughty boy lol
Star for you

link   
Not possible - it's just a movie.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Not possible - it's just a movie.

I think Movie's can have as much power as a book.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think 'Sunset Limited' represented the turmoil I've had in the past with religion perfectly. Not sure if it raised any more questions then I've ever had, though.

Thought I'd share that.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

Not heard of that one, gonna try and find it and watch it tmr cheers fella

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Religulous made me laugh...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Lol when he tell's the gay muslim's "Wow you guys have big ones" the look on the dude's face's ...classic
Found it and i will watch this tmr
cheers for that one.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Holy Bartender!

More than any movie, I can remember one point in my past where I without a doubt realized religion was nothing but a way to control the masses.

I came to America from Europe some 15+ years ago. During this process, my family and a few others we have met got relocated to a city in the western States. We were all placed with religious families who were in a similar profession, in order to create contacts quicker and get back to doing what you're good at.

As part of that deal, each family had to go to church with the sponsor families on Sundays. Different churches, different denominations - we happen to get a baptist family. One afternoon we met up with some other families to hang out, share food and drink and enjoy music. During the night the topic changed to religion and the churches we were going to. Long story short, we found out that even though we were going to different churches the topics of sermon were amazingly similar and sometimes identical. One that stuck with me was the topic of "Comfort Zones", the preacher gave a really good sermon on getting out of our comfort zones, having courage and so on - a good topic overall so it stuck with me. What also stuck with me is that my friend who went to a Lutheran church that Sunday and another that went to a Presbyterian also had the topic of "Comfort Zones", that same Sunday!

I could only see two options here: one, a strange coinkidink
or two, distributed material according to need. I haven't gone back since. But I feel that there is an entity above the separate churches that instructs and directs what is said and taught. I don't know if I could call this anything else than control.

Khar

edit on 31-10-2011 by Kharron because: typo

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I question all religions because they are all man-made attempts to make oneself acceptable to God. To try and manipulate God to love them or bless them by reciting certain words, doing certain rituals, et cetra. It's borderline witchcraft to attempt to move the hand of a higher power to act towards you in a favorable manner of your choosing.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

MindWalk

What the Bleep Do We Know?

Zeitgeist

Of course, I had questioned religion all my life, and I didn't need movies to realize the truth, but these movies helped answer some of the questions I had.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Wow just finished watching it and boy there are some nutters about lol,
I think everyone should watch it, in fact make kids watch it

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't seen that one... It's on the list now.

top topics

join