It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Can someone check the JPL YU55 asteroid data it appears the miss distance has halved !

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Updated info on JPL

0010396 AU

The minimum orbit intersection distance is 155 522.081 kilometer = 96 636.940 89 miles!

That is half the distance mainstream media was reporting yesterday.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 31-10-2011 by mockrock because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mockrock
 


Already dealt with in your other thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by mockrock
 


Already dealt with in your other thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...



This is a request for someone to check the numbers... and very poorly dealt with!



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mockrock
 



This is a request for someone to check the numbers... and very poorly dealt with!


No, it's just "flag farming." Check the numbers yourself.



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It has not halved. The last observation used is still April 21, 2010. The media clearly just hasn't done its homework. Or more likely just confused miles with kilometers. There has been no changes to 2005 YU55's projected orbit. We are safe for at least the next 100 years.



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
It has not halved. The last observation used is still April 21, 2010. The media clearly just hasn't done its homework. Or more likely just confused miles with kilometers. There has been no changes to 2005 YU55's projected orbit. We are safe for at least the next 100 years.


Not so.. the calculations are regularly revised based on new observations.

So if the numbers are correct it will miss less than the mileage on my beloved VW caddy truck!

Can someone check the numbers, that is the question amigos?

The last date of orbit determination was 2011-Oct-28 13:04:46
edit on 31-10-2011 by mockrock because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mockrock
 


1 AU = 149,597,870.7 kilometres (92,955,807.3 mi)

When I checked the orbit diagram page and expanded the logs down at the bottom I got .00217au

I wonder why we see different minimal distances on the same day as each other checks.

So, for kms take 149, 597, 870.7 X .00217
OR
For miles take 92,955,807.3 X .00217 which equals 201,714.101841 miles

The result would be the miss distance in kms or miles.
edit on 31/10/2011 by Trexter Ziam because: add result



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mockrock
 


Can somebody get some pics of it? Or is it too small?------------------




posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I just checked a few sites, and I can't find anywhere that says the close aproach distance is any less than previously stated.



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I was actually just looking at this guy over the past couple of days..

Well, looking at JPL's data anyway. Nothing has changed, last observation date is the same.

Closest approach to Earth is Nov 9 when it will be .0022 AU from Earth. This is something l ike 204k miles, no? This is the figure that both NASA and the MSM have been reporting.

No changes in tracking info on JPL.

Check this chart for verification:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 31-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Wouldn't the intersection of something be the halfway point? The number you are reading is the MOID, minimum orbital intersection distance, right?

Sounds like this is the intersection of the minimal distance it will be from us. And that would be exactly half.
I'm just guessing here, but sounds right!


edit on 31-10-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NoNameBrand
[more)

Its here ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

In the additional information box.. closest intersection with Earth's orbit.. but I checked the future orbits and non matches up with this number, neither do ones in the past so what date does this figure apply to?



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
Wouldn't the intersection of something be the halfway point? The number you are reading is the MOID, minimum orbital intersection distance, right?

Sounds like this is the intersection of the minimal distance it will be from us. And that would be exactly half.
I'm just guessing here, but sounds right!


edit on 31-10-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)


Its the closest point of the orbits, so really need to find out what date that number applies to.



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I'm not sure why people keep freaking out about this stuff.

NASA gives all their data to you. If you are misinterpreting it that's not their fault.

People like to accuse NASA of lying, but in the case of NEOs so far they've told the truth with every single one...

Check out the "close-approach data" link at the bottom of the JPL page to verify when and how close a comet's approach will be.



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mockrock
 



In the additional information box.. closest intersection with Earth's orbit.. but I checked the future orbits and non matches up with this number, neither do ones in the past so what date does this figure apply to?


Until gravitational forces tug the poor little rock into a slightly different orbit, this distance will remain the same, theoretically forever. It means that whenever it crosses the ecliptic it cannot get any closer to Earth than that distance, whether the Earth is near that point in its orbit or not. It just so happens, the Earth will be near this point this time around, but fully 0.002 AU from the rock as it makes that crossing. In other words, 2005 YU 55 cannot hit the Earth for the foreseeable future. It cannot get closer than 0.00104 AU.
edit on 31-10-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by mockrock
 



In the additional information box.. closest intersection with Earth's orbit.. but I checked the future orbits and non matches up with this number, neither do ones in the past so what date does this figure apply to?


Until gravitational forces tug the poor little rock into a slightly different orbit, this distance will remain the same, theoretically forever. It means that whenever it crosses the ecliptic it cannot get any closer to Earth than that distance, whether the Earth is near that point in its orbit or not. It just so happens, the Earth will be near this point this time around, but fully 0.002 AU from the rock as it makes that crossing. In other words, 2005 YU 55 cannot hit the Earth for the foreseeable future. It cannot get closer than 0.00104 AU.
edit on 31-10-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)




Probably right... it's those pesky coincidences that still unsettle me.. Tsunami test, EMA test, YU55 flyby, APEC world leaders and CEO's absent on the 9th November..

I looked at the other events and thought, if something was going to happen the world leaders and elite would have an excuse to be absent and the APEC summit neatly fits this.. Could be coincidence, but so may coincidences !



posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Closest approach to MOON (not Earth)


92,955,807.3 X .00160107870872022 = 148829.563919929599933606 miles

That's 148,829 miles between the asteroid and the moon at its' closest approach in November.

Check and see if it says Earth or Moon on the line you are reading.
edit on 31/10/2011 by Trexter Ziam because: specific



posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Can someone close all these multiple threads from the same person on the same topic. Nothing to make it seem like everyone is thinking YU55 is a danger than to create tons of threads on it.




top topics



 
2

log in

join