It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domain Redirect Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I have a parked domain that gets a little bit of traffic. Is it possible to un-park it and redirect it to a completely different site, thereby leaching that traffic?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Event Horizon

sure is.
usually as simple as parking your domain for some providers.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KnowYourEnemy

Thank you "KnowYourEnemy" I was just curious because Ive been looking at different sites and some people say its not right to do it and that its illegal.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon

Thank you "KnowYourEnemy" I was just curious because Ive been looking at different sites and some people say its not right to do it and that its illegal.

Well its not illegal, but some problems may arrise with the search engine ranking of that domain. It could mean that less people find that domain in the long run which may defeat the purpose for you. It depends on the situation really.
Another idea instead of having a re-direct set to the html, you could design a simple website with an obvious button that says something along the lines of "website now avaliable at this address". That way you can leave content on the site for search engines to pick up but still have most people clicking on the link to the other domain.
Hope this helps as im no expert but have a general knowledge. If your unsure about anything a quick web search should help you, theres plenty of domain info out there.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Right now my parked domain is on "Google domains" but I don't control the content, Google does. Are you suggesting I create a simple site (1 page) with Google ads with an obvious link to my site that I want to gain more traffic? I just want to make sure I am understanding what youre saying.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon

Right now my parked domain is on "Google domains" but I don't control the content, Google does. Are you suggesting I create a simple site (1 page) with Google ads with an obvious link to my site that I want to gain more traffic? I just want to make sure I am understanding what youre saying.

Yeah thats what I would do. I dont know much about Google terms and conditions but you should check that they allow it first. Once again it depends on your situation; but this way you can still have content relating to the domain topic.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Ok thank you very much.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'd simply take everything off the website and only have 1 link on there which directs to the new website. If you have no other outbound links, the pagerank can only be passed on to the only outbound link which is there.

You can also notify Google of your new website which will prompt their bots to crawl and index your website a little quicker.

www.google.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

There are a few ways to automatically send users to another page or website. No technique is illegal, but some methods will lower your search engine rankings, so I will give you a method that will not affect your ranks anywhere.

This is a small trick in which you put a form on the main page, and then script it to auto submit. Place a form, and than add

...other head section stuff (Title, Description,etc.)...

...rest of the page...

"myform" can be any name and "pagename.html" can be any absolute or relative URL. So replace the myform handle that is shown in italics with your other websites URL.

From a traffic, and stats standpoint you should not place another link for the user to click that redirects them. The likelihood of someone stumbling on to site, and than finding one link, and choosing to click on it are unlikely. The other option is to make the main page of redirect site a small magazine spread for promotional offers for products where the user would get a discount on online purchase items, and you would get a small cut from the purchase because you were smart enough to set up affiliate deals with the companies placing the promos. Then add a link to your site in advertisement fashion that states it as the best source for ---- whatever it is you do on that website.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thank you DrunkNinja. I mess around with it and see if that works for me.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

edit on 11-6-2013 by OneTrueGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's a pretty simple job to redirect a domain somewhere else...

Ourstuff uses cpanel and it's there is even an option inside the control panel for that.

Don't worry about SEO, if your domain is redirecting that domain name isn't going to have any page rank associated with it so no biggie.

Redirect domain names are very common especially for marketing.

Example: myawesomecompany.com | It's easier to tell people to browse to awesome.com instead.

Cheers.

new topics

top topics

join