It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF and Gender Roles

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I wanted to post another gender role question, but from a different angle.

What do you think, in a SHTF scenario, will culture revert to a more primitive state where winners-take-all, for example some men will be forced into female roles, or even forced into becoming females, etc., just as it takes place in more primitive societies?

Thanks for your input, ATS.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Only if there is a lack of females. IMO, a male could not perform the female role for me.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

What is your understanding of the ''female role?'' So if there was lack of females you wouldn't accept it as well? Correct?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
as utopian as i know this sounds, i'd love to think that we'd advance, and all work together, for the greater good of mankind. yeah i know, fantasy world, but it's a nice idea.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

Yes, unfortunately this is pure utopia. Human nature is what it is, not to mention a bunch of psychopaths out there who simply lack any form of developed conscience.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theultimategamble

I think in a SHTF scenario the best person for each task, or the person that enjoyed it the most would be the one doing it. Gender wouldn't matter.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Sorry for the lack of education on my part, but where does this actually take place in primitive societies?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well my hope would be that we go back a bit and reconnect with our roots.. for my culture that is where Women seemed far more equal than they are today
and with a more equal society is their really a need to pigeon hole roles?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
Well my hope would be that we go back a bit and reconnect with our roots.. for my culture that is where Women seemed far more equal than they are today
and with a more equal society is their really a need to pigeon hole roles?

In theory, this doesn't have to happen, but life shows us a different story.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by aeriess

Sorry for the lack of education on my part, but where does this actually take place in primitive societies?

You're right, ''primitive'' is really a misnomer. The closest version would be the broadly defined ''prison culture'', be it accurate or not, it does bring a certain image to our minds.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Depends on how one would define 'female role'.

Just because I am a girl, doesn't mean that I am going to cook for you.

edit on 30-10-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]Depends on how one would define 'female role'.

Just because I am a girl, doesn't mean that I am going to cook for you.

edit on 30-10-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

Yeah, defining it is crucial, no doubt. It means different things to different people.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Depends on how one would define 'female role'.
I guess the only "female role" that would concern me is the sexual one. I am a pretty darn good cook myself. I hate doing dishes though.

Originally posted by daryllynJust because I am a girl, doesn't mean that I am going to cook for you.
No need, I'll cook, you do the dishes

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Depends on how one would define 'female role'.
I guess the only "female role" that would concern me is the sexual one. I am a pretty darn good cook myself. I hate doing dishes though.

Originally posted by daryllynJust because I am a girl, doesn't mean that I am going to cook for you.
No need, I'll cook, you do the dishes

[color=dodgerblue]How about this.

We cook together and make someone else wash the dishes?

I am a pretty good cook as well (:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

[color=dodgerblue]How about this.

We cook together and make someone else wash the dishes?

I am a pretty good cook as well (:
Agreed. So, OP it is not as big an issue as you thought.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

It was my somewhat crude way of pointing out if civilization crumbles, in a real SHTF type scenario, then feminism and political correctness will be away in the wind. What will matter, as it did in the beginning of civilization, is that I am bigger and stronger than you are and can make you do things. I mean, not me personally, my wife would never allow it, but someone as big and strong as me without a calming female influence behind him.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Most primal (not "primitive") societies exist in small bands, based on kinship. In general, those societies are remarkably egalitarian, because "dude, she's our sister" inhibits a lot of the prison culture that the other posters allude to.

primal cultures are not as specialized; everyone is a hunter of some kind. Everyone picks berries when they are ripe. Everyone helps with child-care. Everyone does the victory dance when the enemy is vanquished. And everyone prays to the sky for rain.

Gender/class roles begin to show up in highly specialized societies, once certain types of toil are privileged. Once you have nobility, then nobles begin to think that cleaning the latrine is beneath their dignity, and that latrine-cleaners should not be nobility. Next, it's "women can't be kings" and all the rest of it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join