It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Powerful Laser to Tear Vacuum of Space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Wow this is pretty crazy, exactly what Europe should be spending over 1billion dollars on right now

Couldn't tell from this article who is actually funding it but I bet the military weaponizes it. Seems like another potential earth destroying machine up there with the LHC should things not go as planned.

its not 100% clear but I guess it will be these guys that fund it

The Science and Technology Facilities Council, which provides funds for Britain's involvement in major science facilities including the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Geneva, has marked out the ELI as a key area it wants to focus on.

Capable of producing a beam of light so intense that it would be equivalent to the power received by the Earth from the sun focused onto a speck smaller than a tip of a pin, scientists claim it could allow them boil the very fabric of space – the vacuum.

At the focal point, the intensity of the light will produce conditions that are so extreme they do not exist even in the centre of our sun.
It will cause the mysterious particles of matter and antimatter thought to make up a vacuum to be pulled apart, allowing scientists to detect the tiny electrical charges they produce.
These "ghost particles", as they are known, normally annihilate one another as soon as they appear, but by using the laser to pull them apart, physicists believe they will be able to detect them.
It could help to explain the mystery of why the universe contains far more matter than we have been able to detect by revealing what so called dark matter really is.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

edit on 30-10-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: added info

edit on 30-10-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: added info

edit on 30-10-2011 by g0dhims3lf because: rearrange

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
maybe that's how aliens travel such vast distances. they are able to open holes in space and time and travel thru it.

tearing up space doesn't sound to good.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

You know, the earth is a small speck, so they can do all these damaging irreversible things to matter energy until one day he have taken down our belts like a giant eraser on BELT. It is easy to use things that touch a tiny area in space and call it needed, until the Earth woes so hard the Universe smacks us all back.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
Wow this is pretty crazy, exactly what Europe should be spending over 1billion dollars on right now

Couldn't tell from this article who is actually funding it but I bet the military weaponizes it. Seems like another potential earth destroying machine up there with the LHC should things not go as planned.

Capable of producing a beam of light so intense that it would be equivalent to the power received by the Earth from the sun focused onto a speck smaller than a tip of a pin, scientists claim it could allow them boil the very fabric of space – the vacuum.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

if the military wanted it itas a weapon it would be classified before you could mention it so its very unlikely to be a planetary deathray type of thing and knowing this sort of thing the co-ordination of getting sattelites to nuke something on the earth to make it a good death ray will be hard due to it being affected by wind/rain etc

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Another earth destroying weapon like the LHC. . . Are you seriously still on about the LHC being a weapon. It's not it never was and the only people at risk of being hurt by the lhc are the people working there and it would still have to be extremely strange circumstances to hurt anyone.

As for the lasers the focal point would be small no where near big enough to "destroy earth". Does anyone even read or research before they post in the Sci/Tech forum these days. . .

It seems to me to be an excellent experiment aimed at investigating the mysteries of the vacuum and the "dark" forces. We are missing some important pieces in our understanding of nature and this is just an attempt to correct that.

Not a weapon. . . And the military wouldn't publicize or publicly develope an "earth destroying weapon"

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If I wanted to put that on a shark it would have to be a pretty big shark.
Science for the win!

I wonder if we could put that on our fleet of starships.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Not a weapon. . . And the military wouldn't publicize or publicly develope an "earth destroying weapon"

Not a Weapon? Cause they said so right?

Wouldn't publicize until something happens that is, then we'll all know.

Nobody(whatever) knew about the a-bomb until Hiroshima disappeared.

Just saying a little prudence goes far when you don't know what the outcome is.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf

seems safe
fire it up

I'm off to install a mirror on the top of my tin foil hat...later
edit on 10/30/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Good Bye NEOs!
Could this be what made Elenin brake up into bits and pieces.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
they can already pull harder vacuums on earth and create this energy level.all space will do is have a lower gravitational field.also the lab wont blow up if something short circuits.i dont expect them to find anything but it keeps our top minds ,minds busy.and we get a cool space weapon out of the deal.also thankyou op for a good thread.ive been so bored lately.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
maybe that's how aliens travel such vast distances. they are able to open holes in space and time and travel thru it.

tearing up space doesn't sound to good.

Except this concept is opening a hole through just space, not time.

Figure out how to open a hole through time, first, before assuming aliens even exist.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This is what happens when people who don't understand the physics read a headline written by people who don't understand the physics based on information given to them by physicists who can't seem to grasp that they need to pay close attention to how they word things.

While tearing space apart sounds all dramatic, that is merely a metaphorical description of what this laser will do. There are no holes created in the fabric of space... nothing is actually torn. If you read the article, what the laser is actually doing is creating an EM field strong enough to hold apart particles that normally annihilate each other long before we are able to detect them.

The laser doesn't tear anything. What it will do (or, what they hope it will do) is allow us to metaphorically tear a hole in what is an otherwise out-of-bounds part of physics - the particle nature of the quantum vacuum.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Now I got an idea howabout you take this laser and focus it at the target point of the LHC and synch both to fire at the exact same moment in time. LHC makes a black hole and the laser feeds and stabilizes it and allows it to grow.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Seems very dangerous. It said it could probably boil the fabric of space it self. Imagine that, all of the suns heat produced on earth in a small little tiny point. Think how hot that would be, I wonder if it could spread a huge fire threw the fabric of space and cause a huge fire witch would burn all fabric of space.
Obviously I am completely ignorant on the subject but it does sound very dangerous. I wonder why we would even need such a thing.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

Umm quotes are there for a reason I said

potential earth destroying machine

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hundreds of years from now

Aliens: Who shot that laser?
Humans:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Headlines are ment to grab peoples attention whether it be exaggerated or not, and this is what happens when an average joe reads something interesting and relays it to a site with like minded individuals for constructive criticism to intern learn from others. So thanks for the info but not for the arrogant opener

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The "arrogant opener" wasn't directed at you... you only reported it. It was directed at those who then went screaming "It's a weapon! They're gonna blow up the world!"

That's why I didn't reply to you directly... it wasn't a reply to you at all.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

starred! my apology next time Ill ask before retaliating

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

No problem. I'm just glad this laser isn't for consumers... you could quite literally have torn me a new one.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join