It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple's Daughter Taken Away for 18 Hours Over Alleged Sandwich Theft

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Seriously, what the hell? This is sick. Guilty until proven innocent? And even then, taking the kid over a stolen sandwich? REALLY? What kind of sickos work at the police station and at CPS?

Hawaii Couple's Daughter Taken Away for 18 Hours Over Alleged Sandwich Theft

A Hawaii couple’s 3-year-old daughter was taken away from them for 18 hours after they were arrested for forgetting to a pay for two $5 sandwiches.

"This is unreal this could happen to a family like ours," Nicole Leszczynski told Hawaii’s KHON.

The outing-turned-nightmare happened Wednesday while the family was shopping at a local Safeway.

Leszczynski, who is 30-weeks pregnant, her husband, Marcin, and daughter Zophia bought $50 worth of groceries -- but forgot about their two chicken salad sandwiches.

"It was a complete distraction, distracted parent moment," Leszczynski told KHON.

As the family left, they were stopped by store security, who asked for their receipt.

"I offered to pay, we had the cash. We just bought the groceries," Leszczynski told the station.

Instead, the expectant mother told KHON that the Safeway manager called police. They were taken to the main Honolulu police station where they were booked for fourth degree theft. Then Zophia was taken into custody by Child Protective Services.

Freaking cops... no one with a brain in there who just figured out it was just insane that this was happening?

Yeah let's put these two in jail and take their kid away over an alleged crime, but let's make sure the bankers who committed thousands of felonies and the politicians taking bribes roam free...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That is so lame. The story should have just rung it up and carried on. Using the police for sandwich theft. What are back in the year 500 or something?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Any idiot with a lick of sense knows that people who just bought 50 bucks worth of groceries isn't going to turn around and try to steal 5 bucks worth of sandwich. Blatant overreaction, especially since the people offered to pay when they saw the mistake.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Looks like Safeway is starting to back off the prosecution of them already...must be all the bad press they are already getting over this.

Some over zealous security guard pushing the fact a dizzy, hungry pregnant woman ate a sandwich then forgot to add it to her total she was ALREADY paying for the rest of the stuff she bought.

This couple should sue the store for a total overreaction and the distress caused them and their baby.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
bet they wont forget to pay for their sammiches next time....muahahahhaa police 1 , humanity 0!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
We should be able to fine the store owner for being so maleficent to his own Paying customers and at the least not patronize his store.
Fire the Security Guard and the Police Officer for false arrest charges, child endangerment (the unborn child) and for obvious personal Malfeasance.
Warn the Police Chief that this type of riduculous behavior will not be tolerated from Our Public Officials; and if any continuation of these type of practices occur's in those he or she is in charge of we will fire the Police Chief as well.
The Police play hardball, so should We, after all they work for US and need to get that straight or be fired!

Fired, Fired, Fired - How do we get all these wrong do-er's Fired! Not suspended With Pay, FIRED!

Sorry, this type of stuff really chaps my arse.

Do you want to know what the police think of Us? Check this out: answers.yahoo.com...
edit on 30-10-2011 by CaptainKostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
That is why I shop Save-on foods.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is but a brief glimpse into Americas future where the taxpaying citizens are punished before being convicted.
No reason, no compassion, no logic...just fascist corporations with all power and a private police force to enforce their will.

This is partially what OWS is all about.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
OMG you people have NO idea how police operate.

If someone makes a claim against another, it is NOT up to the POLICE to determine innocence or guilt on the spot. That's a COURT decision. If the chain store wishes to prosecute then they have every right. The police merely bring the "evidence" and the claim to the courts. There are standard procedures in place if an arrest has been made.

Please note, an ARREST is different from a CHARGE.

You can be arrested but not charged.

Seriously people, please take at least an intro course about the relationship between the courts and the police.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry

If someone makes a claim against another, it is NOT up to the POLICE to determine innocence or guilt on the spot. That's a COURT decision. If the chain store wishes to prosecute then they have every right. The police merely bring the "evidence" and the claim to the courts. There are standard procedures in place if an arrest has been made.

Seriously people, please take at least an intro course about the relationship between the courts and the police.

Good point--just makes the security guard and Safeway manager (or whoever decided to press charges) even bigger d-bags.

Unless, in this one-sided story, we aren't getting the full truth, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Officers are acting as Judge - Jury - Executioner which is just Wrong. Check this link out and you will hopefully see what I mean: answers.yahoo.com...

An Innocent person lost thier LIFE because of that and No I don't believe the Police had Any Right to do it and in fact Caused the entire event. It also shows the casual lack of regard for human life that they swore an oath to Protect and Serve. They are actually brainwashed into thinking that they are Justified in Killing innocent people.
Fired I say!
edit on 30-10-2011 by CaptainKostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
As posted above, If the Police are called, almost always anymore(unfortunately), someone is going in the clink, until the Judge sorts it out. I'l guess because of liability..ahem, lawyers. What the article does fail to omit is this families tract record, including the store. Have they been witnessed stealing prior to this incident at the store?
From the article, it seems the store has already backed off. Lawsuits? Just throwing it out there, that they have been sort of caught before but finally got nailed.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Yes we do! They operate like this!

www.youtube.com...

There are page after page of how police operate. How many do you want to see?
edit on 30-10-2011 by whaaa because: g5g

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If they were in Oakland they would have gotten pepper sprayed, tazed, tear gassed, billy clubbed, shot in the face with a tear gas canister, handcuffed, laid face down, and shot in the back... I think they should count their blessings.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yeah let's put these two in jail and take their kid away over an alleged crime, but let's make sure the bankers who committed thousands of felonies and the politicians taking bribes roam free.

That is precisely what entered my mind when I read that article..

Society seems a little screwed on how they deal with "petty" crime, as to how they deal with the real serious stuff..and they don't care if an innocent child suffers in the process.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Some of you are totally missing the point. Their child was taken away for 5 bucks. Charge one parent and let the other go home with the little one. The outrage isnt about stealing, its about the lengths that were taken by the police.

It seems this could have all been handled with a citation and release on promise to appear in court rather than waste all this time and energy. The little girl is the primary victim here. Shame on the parents for putting her through this by being neglegent.
edit on 1-11-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I worked as a security guard at a grocery store in college and arrested dozens of people with small children who beyond a doubt were shop lifting. BUT we never took their children away.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
I worked as a security guard at a grocery store in college and arrested dozens of people with small children who beyond a doubt were shop lifting. BUT we never took their children away.

Thanks for that info.. it seems way over the top to me to take the child into custody over a 5 dollar sandwich.

So may I ask what was the procedure you used when detaining them , while waiting for arrest or charges..and what happened after police charged them?

I imagine there are different laws for different states.. and it would be very wise for the people that shop with children to know the procedures and laws well...especially in the case of a misunderstanding over guilt or innocence.
edit on 1-11-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Originally posted by joyride0187

Thanks for that info.. it seems way over the top to me to take the child into custody over a 5 dollar sandwich.

So may I ask what was the procedure you used when detaining them , while waiting for arrest or charges..and what happened after police charged them?

I imagine there are different laws for different states.. and it would be very wise for the people that shop with children to know the procedures and laws well...especially in the case of a misunderstanding over guilt or innocence.

Our proceedure was to radio for backup to cover all exits (all store employees had on headsets) when we had enough evidence that someone was stealing. Enough evidence means physically witnessing someone stealing or witnessing them on camera. We were not allowed to just bust someone based on a feeling or on someone elses word. We were allowed to use enough force as needed to detain a shoplifter if they tried to flee or fight back.

We would then take the shoplifter upstairs to the employee break room to hold them until the police arrived. When the police arrived, they would usually just give the shoplifters a ticket and we would make them sign a contract to never set foot on the property ever again. If it was their second offence, we would take a photo of them and hang it in the lobby. They were then free to leave. I have only witnessed shoplifters being arrested for petty theft by the police if they were wanted or had drugs on them. However if the dollar value was over $500, they would be charged and booked for felony grand larceny.

Never once were anyone children taken away for petty theft.
edit on 1-11-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Thank you again for the info..and that is pretty much how it works around here.

I find it appalling that they can take a child away for that amount of time over 5 dollar sandwiches..and go through a lengthy arrest process at the police station.

..what a waste of time and resources...

Now..could it be that there were other issues with these two that we don't know about?..or simply a case of misguided procedures for such a petty amount in this state.

Whatever the case..like you said earlier..it is a wake up call for those who shop with children..to be very diligent in how they do things.. and to consider what a child may have to endure if you should decide to steal something...and get caught...or even if you should accidentally forget to pay for something.

If you are going to disregard the rules of paying for something before consumption.. you do need to be a little more conscious in making sure you pay for what you have consumed...in my opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join