It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In sleep, why don't we dream of other worlds?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This idea/question occured to me recently, and when I pose it to other open minded seekers, they say "your right, isn't that strange", and it's almost amuzing, for reasons I can't explain, but I assume probably it's a good thing, since "no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the mind of man concieved, what God has in store for those who love him".

If true, and I can't speak for everyone, and since we're here at ATS, I'm sure there might be some who dream of being an alien of some kind of another world, it would seem to me that what this signifies is that indeed we are "tethered" to the earth plane, unable to process much more than the earthly experience we have in this life, at whatever level, no matter how archetypal in nature form or function.

A human being is a human being, so why would we have access to other realms or domains of experience than that of the human experience? It makes sense, but it's still unusual, that even in the collective unconsciousness or, if it's to be believed, the Akashic Astral Domain, of dreaming - that we don't dream of other worlds, lifeforms, and extra-terrestrial possibilities, which most certainly exist in so many configurations it would surely cook our noodle even if we could access but even a tiny fraction of them.

What are your thoughts on this?

This is curious to me, and just thinking about it makes me smile for reasons I can't explain.

Sweet dreams,

NAM

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hm, well supposedly dreams are supposed to be your brain cycling through things that we have thought about or are doing during the day. So since we spend most of our day on Earth and spend most of our days thinking about things and people that are on Earth, I am not surprised that that happens to be the subject of our dreams.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Yes, but that's not the whole content of our dreamlife. We dream about every crazy thing under the sun, anything is possible in the dream life, but I guess yeah, it's only restricted to the content of our own consciousness/unconsciousness.

You would think though, at some point, now that we know the universe is filled with countless stars and planets, that we might dream about other worlds from time to time, but we don't, ever, it would seem. In dreams of course all things are possible, except this it would seem.

I just find that odd and unusual, that's all, this limitation in the imagination.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Have you ever thought your dreams aren't yours?

What if your dreams are controlled?

If they are controlled, that would explain why you never dream about what you want to dream about for if I could dream about what I wanted to dream about, I'd get laid a lot more.

Ribbit

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Perhaps our brains process the incoming code from other worlds and Earthise it?..so as not to confuse the circuits?

I think we all have had the odd dream though of other worlds, but perhaps the collective subconcious has borders ?

God would be a pretty switched on Programmer...and no doubt maintains his software.

Great thread OP its good to see humans thinking.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
i have dreamt i have been in very strange cities. Human but not of this world.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Also, lots of people have lots of different types of dreams. For example, in my dreams, I am always myself, even if I don't find myself in situations I would normally find myself in. But my friend who I was just talking to dreams about told me that she is never herself in her dreams, her dreams are always in third person or first person, but she recognizes that she is not herself. So perhaps you don't have dreams of alien worlds, but other people do... I don't know, I have never had a dream of an alien world either! Who knows.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hey new age man, good topic.

I only speak from my own experience, but i have had dreams where i am on rainbow ribbons with others in the blackness of space, to (one of) a otherworldly mystery school that i have visited in my dreams often. Teleporters, & most of the pople there seem to have force abilities (i.e. force jump/push).
Still, in these dreams i am humanoid, & am surrounded by mostly humanoids. I havent checked my hands (lucid technique) to be sure though.

I am lead to believe we are indeed tethered to this world and often in grasp of maya, &/or illusion.

With that being said I have had quite a few strikingly vivid & detailed dreams involving the reptile species.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Intersting question, good for you for thinking outside the box.

I can sorta give you an answer.

the human brain is not capable of original thought. Every thought, invention, discovery,etc is derived somehow from something else.

This also negats the brain in vats theory or that we are a part of someone else's dream scenario. Because the human brain is not capable of generating anything original.

Dreams are a manifestation of our happiness, fears, concerns, stress, etc. Some may seem strange but when you start to disect it, you start seeing what they really mean. Or a repeat of something you heard or saw that day. I remember a funny story where my grandmother and aunt were talking about putting their eyes in, referring to putting in contacts. The phrase must of struck my brother, because he had a dream of being chased by giant eyeballs.

So if a human were to develope another world in a dream, it would only be a composite of something seen here.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
i have dreamt i have been in very strange cities. Human but not of this world.

I love your avatar. Is that from the Patridge Family?

How did you know the cities were not of this world, and did you have that sense when you were in the dream, that you were seeing cities, human cities, but on other worlds? Maybe you're a prophet?!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by spacekc929

I just find that odd and unusual, that's all, this limitation in the imagination.

A wise man once said,

"There are no limits, only beliefs."

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by survival
With that being said I have had quite a few strikingly vivid & detailed dreams involving the reptile species.

Kick ass my fellow human!

And while you're at it, make them stop incarnating here as people like Dick Cheney and Adolph Hitler.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Perhaps its influenced by your way of thought,if your thinking of another world right before sleep,but in dreams anything can happen...fascinating really when ye think of it

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

Let's try, and see if anyone can dream about an alien world?

Any dream controllers/conjurers here?

Go there in your dream and report back. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I have dreamed of another world. I was somewhere very cold. When I looked up I saw that the stratus layers of wispy white hi altitude clouds went up and up, layer upon layer, reaching way higher than any where on earth. I looked around me and I was being buffeted by high speed winds . Huge sheets of crackling lightning lit up giant swirling banks of fast moving clouds like the kind you see associated with Hurricanes. The sky color was not blue and the clouds themselves were sorta red orange. Ice or snow blew against me and stung like sand. I felt all alone and very small.

That dream was very vivid. I was younger then and still remember how it stuck with me for days afterward. Decades later I saw a show on Jupiter's weather and almost fell out my chair. One animated perspective was in the cloud tops as they raced by. I can't be sure of that but it seemed to fit. Even later I discovered that in astrology, my planet sign is Jupiter. Someone make sense of that...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I've dreamt of alien worlds.. I've dreamt of all sorts of things like that, your mind isn't incapable of doing it but your mind does tend to go with what it knows, there's usually a basis in reality..

The topic of alien worlds is something that's always interested me, I've tried to imagine some of the exotic things out there and I've seen many artistic expressions of such things.. I guess I've given my head enough to think about so that it can properly visualize.. I have to be exhausted before I have dreams like that though.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'm really glad that you brought this up. I never really thought about it but thinking about it now, it is kind of weird, in my situation at least. I believe in aliens(other civilizations) 110% so I always spend a lot of time researching things, watching documentarys so i go through a lot of visuals and now that I think about it I dont think ive ever had a dream about an alien or any other worlds. With the amount of time I spend on the subject, it doesnt make sense that I cant remember ANY dreams involving those things. Something new to look into, thanks for bringing this to light.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That's really trippy. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe next time you'll go to a more hospital place, with a sense of community!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It may also have to do with your personality type .. I'm a creative .. I do graphic design, I write music, I develop software .. so I have a very visual and creative mind .. so I suppose it's not a surprise I'd be able to dream about exotic worlds..

While I'm also analytical, someone who's predominantly analytical may have more difficult dreaming about things like that since there's no reality reference there.. if that makes sense.. the mind might not be so open to creating a dream world that isn't based on something you know.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Because there are no other worlds maybe?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join