It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walther PPS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I just purchased a Walther PPS Slim Line .40 hand gun. I purchased this weapon for my CCW, replacing my Glock 26. I own 2 Glocks: G19 & G26. The 26 was my CCW but after about 2 hours of carrying it I want to throw it as far as I can because it feels like a brick. I'm small-framed at 5'6" & 150lbs. The 26 is a great gun, its reliable, dependable, and I'm consistent with it, however, I wanted something slimmer and easier to carry for longer periods of time without downsizing to a .380.

I opted for the PPS in the .40. I read a lot of internet forums on the PPS. Overall, it sounds like a good purchase. I have yet to fire it and plan on putting a couple hundred rounds through it tomorrow. I was a little hesitant about the .40. I've heard its pretty "snappy" because of its size. I purchased a limbsaver so that should help with the recoil (I hope). I'm not crazy about the limited magazine capacity (6+1), but that's the only potential downfall of the weapon that I foresee (so far).

Anyone out there own the PPS in the .40? If so, what are your thoughts and experience? Any suggestion would be helpful!

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'd be curious to hear some real world feedback as well. I carry a G27 or a S&W 642 daily but I've been looking at the PPS for a while now. I love my 27. I'm 5'11 195lbs and I think the 27 works well for me because I don't usually worry about "printing" so I wear it in an OWB Serpa holster. My 642 is more of a "grab and go" if I'm just running to the store or something and it rides in my front pocket.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
I'd be curious to hear some real world feedback as well. I carry a G27 or a S&W 642 daily but I've been looking at the PPS for a while now. I love my 27. I'm 5'11 195lbs and I think the 27 works well for me because I don't usually worry about "printing" so I wear it in an OWB Serpa holster. My 642 is more of a "grab and go" if I'm just running to the store or something and it rides in my front pocket.

I have yet to hear anything negative so far. I read about some first generation issues with the PPS but as far as I know nothing of late. I'd also like to hear some real world feedback. I use an inside pant holster for the 25 and PPS, usually in the front left because I'm right handed, although I am starting to carry the PPS in the small of my back. I find this position extremely comfortable, both sitting and walking, and more comfortable than in the front.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Besides it being more comfortable, I like that the PPS has a rail under the muzzle, which my G26 did not. I'm assuming the G27 does not have one as well? When I leave the 26 at the bedside at night, it annoys me that I always need a separate flash light.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911
[

I own both, love my 26, love my pps, 26 a brick ? I totally agree, which is why it stays in the safe for ccw. I carry the ppf in a pocket holster in my front right pocket with no problems. This handgun does have some snap to it, but nothing that would make you question your choice. The firearm is only the delivery system, try different makes of top of the line ammo, to find out which is best for you and your pps
For my Walther, I settled on Hornady Critical Defense ammunition. never had a ftf or one jam. As far as the 6 rnd mags ? nothing that a spare mag in your back pocket won't solve. Hope this helped.

Best of luck
edit on 29-10-2011 by bull621 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bull621
[

I own both, love my 26, love my pps, 26 a brick ? I totally agree, which is why it stays in the safe for ccw. I carry the ppf in a pocket holster in my front right pocket with no problems. This handgun does have some snap to it, but nothing that would make you question your choice. The firearm is only the delivery system, try different makes of top of the line ammo, to find out which is best for you and your pps For me with the pps I settled on Hornady Critical Defense ammunition. never had a ftf or one jam. As far as the 6 rnd mags ? nothing that a spare mag in your back pocket wont solve. Hope this helped. Best of luck

Thanks for the reply! I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. I've frequently found on the forums people owning both a G26 or G27 and the PPS. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person thinking my 26 feels like a brick! lol. I'm glad what you said about the recoil not influencing the decision to go with the PPS. I've heard this a couple times now and I feel confident I will feel the same way. Do you prefer a particular grain? I am extremely comfortable and consistent with my 9mm. My second shot follow up is right on with the 9mm and I was a little concerned about the .40. I'm assuming with practice I will obtain the same level of confidence with the forty caliber. Would a lower grain hollow point still be effective with enough knock down and expansion if the larger grain is too much? Thanks for the advice!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Pretty much, modern gun manufacturing has come to a point where even the shadiest of companies can make a strong, straight shooting, trouble free gun.
Heck even companies 20 years ago I considered garbage make some pretty impressive guns nowadays.
Get what feels good for you and put it through its break in period.
Walther is a historically good name.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thanks for the reply! My thought has always been to get something I like and am comfortable with. If I'm comfortable with it, I'll practice often. If I practice often then I'll be reliable with it when I need it.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
They do have 7 round magazines available. It's not much but at least you would get (7+1) rounds.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
They do have 7 round magazines available. It's not much but at least you would get (7+1) rounds.

I forgot about that! You're right, they make the 5, 6, & 7 round magazines. So yeah, I could get 8 total rounds. I got 3 magazines when I bought my Glock 19. I was a little disappointed with only getting one magazine with the Walther. No doubt its a beautiful piece, but it is a little overpriced and it only came with the one magazine. For that priced you should get at least 2 magazines.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The PPS is built on a tried and true Walther frame and fire control system that has it's roots in the P99.

Walther, although innovative in design and reliability, really didn't try anything new here with exception of take down ability(disassembly). It is remarkably easy to take apart, service, and reassemble this weapon.

Also, Walther isn't known for making Glock capacity weapons. Most of the Walther pistols I've seen come with MAX 8-10 rnd mags.

My vote? You're gonna love it.

edit on 30-10-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Federal Personal Defense Hydra Shok 135 grain round is prolly the lowest recoil round I have tryed. Like I said, the ammo is as much a personal preference as the firearm itself. So buy, try, and find out what best fits "you" and "your" Walther. Dont get to wrapped up in internet "Knock down" bull#. If you do your part your Walther will do its part.

Practice practice practice. You have an exceptional handgun in the Walther, enjoy it.

also for what its worth, I also own a Kahr MK-40 elete, Kahr pm-40, a kel-tec pf-9, Sw 340pd, Para warthog .45 and 4 more .380s and my pps gets the job of my CCW 9 times out of ten.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Good to hear! Thanks for the feedback!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Walther got it right with the PPS; 'Polizeipistole Schmal' which translates to 'Police Pistol Narrow.' The reason it doesn't feel like a Block is the single stack magazine; hence the 'narrow' part. You either have thin or high capacity and thin is much easier to carry. One advantage of the 9mm over the .40, other than cost of ammunition, is magazine capacity; usually one more 9mm for single stacks. In the unlikely event that you are forced to draw your weapon, you probably won't need more ammunition than what you have in the magazine, if any shots are fired at all. Magazine changeouts in a surprise encounter are unlikely despite what some think.
One problem with having extra magazines on your person is that if you ever are involved in a shooting, you appear to be "looking for trouble" when the police arrive.
It is in your best interests to avoid conflict and retreat from trouble until you are cornered before you show an assailant the bad news. If you regularly go into bad areas, get a throwdown wallet that has some expired credit cards and $20-40 of cash in it. Put it in your weak hand back pocket so you can give it up and still have your shooting hand free, if necessary. Don't hesitate to let thieves escape with it. Do not corner the bad guy. Let him have an escape route so no one gets hurt. Defense laywers cost more than what you have in the wallet. If he still advances on you and you are in mortal danger, shoot him center mass.
The most problematic of situations you will face are the gray areas. Billy Joe Stanley gets all drunked up and is a funnin you by shoving and pushing. His drunken buddies insinuate you have been a messin with Lurlene, his wife/girlfriend. You really can't shoot the jerk and you can't let him get the gun you are carrying. Who knows what the idiot will do? Buy him a beer and escape without letting the world know that you have a really nice stealable pistol. These sorts of situations are what make stun gun and pepper spray sales and are for more likely than any armed confrontation.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

"The reason it doesn't feel like a Block is the single stack magazine; hence the 'narrow' part. You either have thin or high capacity and thin is much easier to carry"

I disagree, I have double stacks that are half the width of a single and double stack glocks, Glocks are just bulky blocky guns. Pure and simple

"One problem with having extra magazines on your person is that if you ever are involved in a shooting, you appear to be "looking for trouble" when the police arrive."

So, going by this theory, allow me to ask this question. The fact that actually "having" a gun isn't cause for the police to assume you were looking for trouble ? and having a spare mag is ? lol now that's funny. Although a prosecuting attorney may try to spin it as a crazed vigilante. I doubt that any police Dept would give it a second thought. The Police just there to investigate and report the facts of the case they do not make assumptions, draw conclusions or prosecute anyone. This is what the attorney generals offices and Grand Juries of your peers are for.

"In the unlikely event that you are forced to draw your weapon, you probably won't need more ammunition than what you have in the magazine, if any shots are fired at all. Magazine changeouts in a surprise encounter are unlikely despite what some think."

you really need to expand your thinking here.

just for starters I would look here
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...'s_massacre
In just these 2 examples I would much rather have 13 rnds than seven.....but that's me. In both of these cases, had someone fired on and killed either one of these suspects you honestly think having one mag or 2 would have made a difference to a grand jury whether or not you would have been indited ?
Also I would recommend to anyone, never draw your weapon unless you are prepared to firer it. Drawing your weapon to "scare" anyone is a dangerous mistake. [imho]

"The most problematic of situations you will face are the gray areas. Billy Joe Stanley gets all drunked up and is a funnin you by shoving and pushing. His drunken buddies insinuate you have been a messin with Lurlene, his wife/girlfriend. You really can't shoot the jerk and you can't let him get the gun you are carrying. Who knows what the idiot will do? Buy him a beer and escape without letting the world know that you have a really nice stealable pistol. These sorts of situations are what make stun gun and pepper spray sales and are for more likely than any armed confrontation"

I just find this whole statement, well, plain silly...sorry

being involved in a shooting is a nightmare all the way around. And should be avoided at all reasonable cost. However if I find myself in such dire straights that I have to discharge my firearm to save a life the last thing I am worried about is a spare mag.

But thats me.lol

edit on 30-10-2011 by bull621 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by projectvxn

Good to hear! Thanks for the feedback!

You're quite welcome sir.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bull621

"The reason it doesn't feel like a Block is the single stack magazine; hence the 'narrow' part. You either have thin or high capacity and thin is much easier to carry"

I disagree, I have double stacks that are half the width of a single and double stack glocks, Glocks are just bulky blocky guns. Pure and simple

"One problem with having extra magazines on your person is that if you ever are involved in a shooting, you appear to be "looking for trouble" when the police arrive."

So, going by this theory, allow me to ask this question. The fact that actually "having" a gun isn't cause for the police to assume you were looking for trouble ? and having a spare mag is ? lol now that's funny. Although a prosecuting attorney may try to spin it as a crazed vigilante. I doubt that any police Dept would give it a second thought. The Police just there to investigate and report the facts of the case they do not make assumptions, draw conclusions or prosecute anyone. This is what the attorney generals offices and Grand Juries of your peers are for.

"In the unlikely event that you are forced to draw your weapon, you probably won't need more ammunition than what you have in the magazine, if any shots are fired at all. Magazine changeouts in a surprise encounter are unlikely despite what some think."

you really need to expand your thinking here.

just for starters I would look here
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...'s_massacre
In just these 2 examples I would much rather have 13 rnds than seven.....but that's me. In both of these cases, had someone fired on and killed either one of these suspects you honestly think having one mag or 2 would have made a difference to a grand jury whether or not you would have been indited ?
Also I would recommend to anyone, never draw your weapon unless you are prepared to firer it. Drawing your weapon to "scare" anyone is a dangerous mistake. [imho]

"The most problematic of situations you will face are the gray areas. Billy Joe Stanley gets all drunked up and is a funnin you by shoving and pushing. His drunken buddies insinuate you have been a messin with Lurlene, his wife/girlfriend. You really can't shoot the jerk and you can't let him get the gun you are carrying. Who knows what the idiot will do? Buy him a beer and escape without letting the world know that you have a really nice stealable pistol. These sorts of situations are what make stun gun and pepper spray sales and are for more likely than any armed confrontation"

I just find this whole statement, well, plain silly...sorry

being involved in a shooting is a nightmare all the way around. And should be avoided at all reasonable cost. However if I find myself in such dire straights that I have to discharge my firearm to save a life the last thing I am worried about is a spare mag.

But thats me.lol

The comment about the double stack magazines increasing the thickness of a pistol is correct. Physically, it has to be.

The extra magazines comment was mainly aimed at those private citizens who carry multiple extra magazines and prepare for a firefight. They can often be seen wearing safari vests [far from safaris] to remain stealthy.There are many threads on various sites that have recommended two or three extra magazines for the urban safari warrior. This is a personal gripe I have with the armchair self-defense crowd, who like to claim that you just couldn't have enough 'knockdown power.' Maybe zombie attacks were being considered but I found the advice ludicrous.

I'm glad you agree with the philosophy that a shooting should be "avoided at all reasonable cost." I admit the other example was contrived but it describes a quandry. How do you determine when you shoot? You have a great responsibility when you carry a firearm and can't make a casual decision. What line must be crossed? If you are armed and I push you and challenge you, what do you do? When, exactly, do you 'discharge my firearm to save a life' and whose life do you attempt to save? Do you stop a robbery, a domestic dispute, or step between two mismatched brawlers? As you can imagine, there are many pitfalls when you 'discharge my firearm to save a life' including unintended consequences, such as taking the life of an innocent bystander.
edit on 10/30/2011 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

"How do you determine when you shoot? You have a great responsibility when you carry a firearm and can't make a casual decision. What line must be crossed? If you are armed and I push you and challenge you, what do you do? When, exactly, do you 'discharge my firearm to save a life' and whose life do you attempt to save? Do you stop a robbery, a domestic dispute, or step between two mismatched brawlers? As you can imagine, there are many pitfalls when you 'discharge my firearm to save a life' including unintended consequences, such as taking the life of an innocent bystander."

As lawful and licensed handgun owners we ask ourselves these questions everytime we chose to carry our firearms. Anyone who hasn't has not really thought out carrying a firearm for personal protection. A shooting in self defense in the home can be very different than a shooting outside of the home. Castle Doctrine, or justifiable homicide in the home, may be looked at different than a shooting in self defense on the street. It's a good idea to see if your state has adopted this ruling. As far as I know, not every state has adopted Castle Doctrine. Having spoken to several lawyers regarding this, even a "good shooting" in the home utilizing Castle Doctrine where criminal charges have not be filed, a civil suit from the bad guy or bad guy's family can still result in hundreds of thousands of dollars for defense. Its a good idea to learn the state's law in which your residing. For most of the examples named above I would not discharge my firearm. In fact, I would stay as far away as I could. Protect yourself, call 911, and get the hell out of there. There would be very few circumstances in which I would draw my weapon and/or use it. Again, I'd look to the law for guidance.

When Is The Use Of Deadly Physical Force Justified In New York State?

Under the New York State Penal Code, Deadly Physical Force is defined as physical force which under the circumstances in which it is used, is readily capable of causing death or other serious physical injury. There are only two kinds of circumstances in which Deadly Physical Force may be used: to prevent and terminate a crime and to arrest after a crime is committed.

Who can use Deadly Physical Force?

Although there is a different criterion for each, a Police Officer, Peace Officer and a Person can use Deadly Physical Force as long as it is justified such as self defense. In order for a Person to be justified in using Deadly Physical Force, he/she must be factually correct that the person committing the crime is actually: using Deadly Physical Force on the Person or a 3rd person, committing Robbery, committing Arson, committing Burglary (it is advised that the Person retreat whenever possible), kidnapping, committing Forcible Rape, and/or committing Forcible Sodomy (Criminal Sexual Act).

Also, use of deadly force in NY State says I can meet said deadly force and exceed it by one, so I have the right to defend myself against a knife attack with my firearm. Mostly, now that I carry I have different habits that help me avoid circumstances that are potentially dangerous and may invoke a scenario in which I may need to draw my weapon. For example, I don't ever use walk up ATMs anymore. Its never a good idea to use them at night anyways, armed or not. Am I going to draw my firearm on someone who is robbing me at knifepoint? I am allowed by law, but I'd rather avoid the situation all together. Even in defense of my home, if I think someone has busted in I'm going to secure myself and my family, barricade myself in a room with my weapon and call the police. I'm not going to go look for trouble. If that person insists on coming through my door than I'll defend myself without hesitation. I've also got 4 huskies and a pit bull that will help me as well. If I'm in a Wal Mart and I hear gun fire I'm not going to go storm off like a hero and shoot up the place. I'm going to make sure myself and whomever I'm with is safe, get as far away as I can, and call 911. You really have to commit before engaging in a situation like that.

You're right, there are no casual decisions when you chose to carry your firearm.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The PPS is a good gun but just a little quirky for me. I tried it out when comparing a couple of new carry options and settled on a Kahr CW9 . I just didn't like the mag release of the PPS plus the CW was less expensive, just as accurate and has a sweet trigger pull. It all really comes down to personal preference.

Before strapping up the Kahr, I carried a Sig P239 and even a bulky XD at times. The Kahr is like a little sports car when compared to those chunks. I'm sure you'll like the PPS for the same reasons.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The PPS is a good gun but just a little quirky for me. I tried it out when comparing a couple of new carry options and settled on a Kahr CW9 . I just didn't like the mag release of the PPS plus the CW was less expensive, just as accurate and has a sweet trigger pull. It all really comes down to personal preference.

Before strapping up the Kahr, I carried a Sig P239 and even a bulky XD at times. The Kahr is like a little sports car when compared to those chunks. I'm sure you'll like the PPS for the same reasons.

I've heard good things about the Kahr! I haven't formed my opinion yet about my PPS. In the beginning I was not crazy about the mag release either. It messed with my muscle memory but I've resigned to activating the mag release with my thumb on my left hand. It actually has become pretty intuitive with repetition. I agree that the PPs is overpriced. I'm so used to my Glock feeling like a brick that the PPS has been a dream to carry. I've found it to be pretty comfortable in the small of my back, which my Glock never was.

Thanks for the input!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join