It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

exposing the evils of Christianity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I think the worst thing about Christianity is the way it turns people into mental thralls. People are told that if they believe one thing they will go to heaven and if they believe anything else they will go to hell. Children are taught that by their parents. I was taught that by my parents. It's disgusting to me.

I'm not trying to offend Christians, but this is how I feel about it.
edit on 29-10-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

How else could they win over converts?

The best way to change someones beliefs is instill fear of the unknown...

The funny thing is christians know just as much about the existence of heaven or hell as the average person...

And considering that hell doesn't exist according to the bible... Its quite the amusing situation.

Though i don't believe "evil" exists either...

edit on 29-10-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Growing up in a house where my mother was a holy roller Penticostal and my father believed in Edgar Cayce and UFO's was a lesson in guilt and manipulation.

My mother had me believing that I was wretched and did not deserve to go to heaven, and when Jesus came back, to take away all the good people, I probably wouldn't be taken. I used to be so terrified, I had panics attacks if I was alone, not knowing whether HE had come or not.

When I had nightmares, I was taken to the church leaders for exorcisms.

All Chinese, Japanese and Hindus are automaticaly going to hell and USA is great because we used "THE BOMB."

I once asked my mom, "If St Peter asked you to watch the Gate of Heaven, and I came along, would you let me in?" "Nope." That's when I realized the futility of trying to reason with her about Jesus, God and the afterlife.

Some people find solace in judgementalism and seperation. So sad.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
hell = Sheol = the common grave of mankind... from the bible yo... dude is right the bible says when you die your dead and that's all... the heaven thing is on judgement day. believers resurrected to kindness and love, unbelievers to a resurrection of judgement.

ALL religions are whack mind control experiments gone awry.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The "exposure" is a little sparse here compared to your adversary, isn't it. Where's the beef?

Yes, christianity has its problems. Not the least of which is elitism and authoritarianism. But you must understand, that is what their bible teaches them. They are light of the world, and the salt of the earth. Being a christian means you perceive the world as having already been judged for its crimes against god. ALL are guilty. The only question is whether or not you choose to be assimilated.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The worst part of all is that the elites have convinced Christians in America that christianity includes a bunch of garbage that isn't even in the religion like American exceptionalism, worshipping the military, corporations can do no wrong, science and thinking are bad, etc.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
I think the worst thing about Christianity is the way it turns people into mental thralls. People are told that if they believe one thing they will go to heaven and if they believe anything else they will go to hell. Children are taught that by their parents. I was taught that by my parents. It's disgusting to me.

I'm not trying to offend Christians, but this is how I feel about it.

Actually, what Christianity teaches is that we are all sinners. Our works cannot save us. Only the sacrifice of Christ on the cross and His blood covers our sins. Works have nothing to do with salvation, but everything to do with repentance. Faith apart from works is dead. This means that works are not the reason for salvation, but the byproduct of that salvation.

A Christian family teaches that hell is separation from God. We choose to love God by loving others. We can also choose to love ourselves and place ourselves above others. Each of these two choices will be reflected in the way we view the world. Either we see through the eyes of a loving God or we see through our own selfish interests. There are fruits of the spirit and there are fruits of the world. Each will manifest by the way we choose to live our lives.

These are to be avoided:

3.1 Lust
3.2 Gluttony
3.3 Greed
3.4 Sloth
3.5 Acedia
3.6 Wrath
3.7 Envy
3.8 Pride
3.9 Vainglory

These are to be embraced:

Charity: Giving Spirit
Temperance: Self-Control
Chastity: Sexual Purity
Valour: Pursuit of Knowledge
Generosity: Pursuit of Charity
Liberality: Pursuit of Will
Diligence: Pursuit of Ethics
Patience: Pursuit of Peace
Kindness: Pursuit of Love
Humility: Pursuit of Modesty

Of the two choices between religion and atheism, which home will produce the greatest results for the children of that home?

edit on 29-10-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
The "exposure" is a little sparse here compared to your adversary, isn't it. Where's the beef?

Yes, you are right on that.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Good post, but faith in a particular diety does not garentee said morals and values...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I think the worst thing about Christianity is the way it turns people into mental thralls.

Youth springs eternal.

Good, lord! Is it possible that a generation will ever be produced that does not waste time in this type of narcissistic, self-indulgent, pantomime of being in contention with religion? It seems we produce a new crop of little Nietzsches every year. It's like that movie Groundhog Day. Sheesh.

edit on 29-10-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I disagree with the premise that we are all sinners and need to be saved. I also disagree that there are only 2 choices, Christianity or Atheism, and that Christianity has the moral high ground.

I myself am not a atheist, per se, but I don't believe in the biblical Jesus or God. I know atheists whose ethics and morals are higher than those of most Christians I know. That's a fact!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
delete double post.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Good post, but faith in a particular diety does not garentee said morals and values...

Actually, we experienced the greatest leap in knowledge, freedom, justice and equity in this world in the last 400 years. This leap was marked by a novelty event in history: The printing of the Bible in English from the printing press; the reformation and the exodus from Europe to America. When the Bible was printed into English, literacy across the world went from around 25% to 93% before WWI. The industrial revolution and tech revolution soon followed. We are approaching a singularity with both population and knowledge next year, all due to the Bible. You may want to rethink your position. We are a reflection of the morals in the Bible. No other book can take the credit and people definitely cannot take this credit. Left alone, we are animals to our fellow humans.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

I disagree with the premise that we are all sinners and need to be saved. I also disagree that there are only 2 choices, Christianity or Atheism, and that Christianity has the moral high ground.

I myself am not a atheist, per se, but I don't believe in the biblical Jesus or God. I know atheists whose ethics and morals are higher than those of most Christians I know. That's a fact!

Mankind is not what it was before the dark ages. We are changed as a species by what happened 2000 years ago. The greater this takes affect around the world, the closer we get to transcending our animal nature. Men are what they are today because of where we have come from. Each continent has a piece of wisdom that fits into the larger picture. You are correct in that Christianity is not the only story that has shaped mankind. It is, however, the root of all the other branches. It is also the final word.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
Actually, we experienced the greatest leap in knowledge, freedom, justice and equity in this world in the last 400 years. This leap was marked by a novelty event in history: The printing of the Bible in English from the printing press; the reformation and the exodus from Europe to America. When the Bible was printed into English, literacy across the world went from around 25% to 93% before WWI. The industrial revolution and tech revolution soon followed. We are approaching a singularity with both population and knowledge next year, all due to the Bible. You may want to rethink your position. We are a reflection of the morals in the Bible. No other book can take the credit and people definitely cannot take this credit. Left alone, we are animals to our fellow humans.

Give me a break. I can't believe you make that argument with a straight face.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

You are correct in that Christianity is not the only story that has shaped mankind. It is, however, the root of all the other branches. It is also the final word.

If by "root of all other branches" you mean other religions, I disagree. China, Japan, The Americas, India, Norse and the British Isles all practiced religions and philosophies that were in no way connected to the teaching of the biblical Jesus. They were concieved and developed completely independant of Chrisianity. Chrisitanity did conveniently adopt many of their myths and philosophies, however.

Also, Christianity is not the final word.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

I think the worst thing about Christianity is the way it turns people into mental thralls.

Youth springs eternal.

Good, lord! Is it possible that a generation will ever be produced that does not waste time in this type narcissistic, self-indulgent, pantomime of being in contention with religion? It seems we produce a new crop of little Nietzsches every year. It's like that movie Groundhog Day. Sheesh.

Sorry, what else could I do on a Saturday? Go get some exercise? Read a book?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

Give me a break. I can't believe you make that argument with a straight face.

Of all recorded history, the last 400 years have been the mark of knowledge multiplying instead of being added to. Knowledge reaches a singularity in 2012, as does population. Statistics can only be attributed to literacy. Literacy makes its giant leap forward with the printing of the Bible. The Kings James version unified a language. It is 400 years old as of this year.

Give me another reason if you can find it. The last leap mankind had was from 1948 to today, after Israel became a nation. This is known as the hinge of history. You say chance. I say providence. You can watch this video series below and see how this took place. The entire extend of our discoveries in science have come from the Hebrews. Have you checked the list of Nobel prizes to Hebrews? No accidents with this. Statistics prove me correct.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

You are correct in that Christianity is not the only story that has shaped mankind. It is, however, the root of all the other branches. It is also the final word.

If by "root of all other branches" you mean other religions, I disagree. China, Japan, The Americas, India, Norse and the British Isles all practiced religions and philosophies that were in no way connected to the teaching of the biblical Jesus. They were concieved and developed completely independant of Chrisianity. Chrisitanity did conveniently adopt many of their myths and philosophies, however.

Also, Christianity is not the final word.

These are statements. What are the based on? God created seven continents. Each has a revelation of truth. Connect them all and you see the completed picture in the Bible. All nations emerged from one starting point after the flood. Each nation was dispersed as languages were confounded. Each dispersed nation created the overall picture. The thread of truth extends from this starting point.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified Not the least of which is elitism and authoritarianism. But you must understand, that is what their bible teaches them.
Not quite, but yes, some choose to see it that way, which is frustrating to watch--whether they are Christian or not.

First off, the whole context of the salt&light of the earth is right behind the Beatitudes, where the meek and gentle inherit the earth, so to get arrogance from these comments is to literally take it out of context. Which is not surprising. The Pharisaic leaning I see in Christianity is asking for arrogance to lead their everyday lives.

Matthew 5:13-16

and the salt of the earth.

13 You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.
The Greek word there isn't about becoming tasteless, but losing it's savour--which is both the taste of salt, and the enjoyment of salt. When Christianity is bland and tasteless, what is useful for but to be thrown out? Too much salt, too little salt, and salt's not doing it's job. So. Are you special, in Christianity? Sure. Can your specialness become useless? Absolutely. This is a balancing act, not a pat our backs act. The point is that our specialness isn't OURS because of who WE are. It has little to do with humanity, which Crhsitains still are--we're very much human, mistakes, warts, and all. When we fail to make that clear ot the rest of humanity, we have the reactions of the OP, and I don't blame them for that reaction.

They are light of the world,

14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 So let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
This is literally instructions on behaviour. There's plenty of verses about not seeking the praise of men as a reward, but this isn't about that. This is about making sure your core nature as a Christian is undeniable to those who meet you. So, what is a Christian supposed to be? Charitable, compassionate, etc. When we're too busy being arrogant, we're not the example we're called to be. So, yes, big fail on a lot of Christian's part.

Being a christian means you perceive the world as having already been judged for its crimes against god. ALL are guilty. The only question is whether or not you choose to be assimilated.
Sure. But when ALL are guilty, does that not include those who are Christians? It's not like we cease being human. It's never been about WHAT we are but WHOSE we are...and you have the right not choose not to belong to whom I belong to.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join