It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists unearth largest Buddhist statue in 8 decades at Angkor Wat.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This is not a massive story, but i personally have an interest in the Angkor wat temple complex in Cambodia, having visited there and being astounded by the magnificent temples that were built on the site.

thought i would post for others interested in this type of story..

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — Archaeologists at Cambodia's famous Angkor Wat temple complex say they have unearthed the largest Buddhist statues there in eight decades.

Ly Vanna, an artifacts expert for the government's Apsara Authority that oversees the site, said Thursday the two stone statues found at Ta Prohm temple were headless but the larger one if complete would stand about 10 feet (3 meters) tall. He says the statues are believed to date from the 12th century and are the biggest discovered since the 1930s.

Saurav Ray of the Indian embassy says the statues were found by workers carrying out the Archaeological Survey of India's 10-year, $4 million restoration project. Angkor's rehabilitation follows decades of neglect due to civil war.

yahoo news

edit on 29/10/11 by Misterlondon because: link not working

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
it would be nice to see photos

but as to the statue how crazy is it that we are finding all monuments hidden in plain site?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde

but as to the statue how crazy is it that we are finding all monuments hidden in plain site?

If you go to the site you'll find the area very well covered in thick vegetation and ensnarling trees amongst lots of other ruins. Very easy to miss - and with the heads missing of secondary importance.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Angkor is one of the most impotant e misterious ancient site.
Maybe we must go back in time, (many, many thousands years ago) to find the real meanings of that ancient site.

S&F.
edit on 30-10-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

If you go to the site you'll find the area very well covered in thick vegetation and ensnarling trees amongst lots of other ruins. Very easy to miss - and with the heads missing of secondary importance.

yes.. i think it was found in the same temple used in the first tomb raider movie

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious

Originally posted by Hanslune

yes.. i think it was found in the same temple used in the first tomb raider movie

When I was there I attempted to find a small site noted by the French soon after discovery. It took me three days of intense searching to find it. In the time from discover two large trees had grown up and 'engulfed' the site.

Arken

You will find that the creature that 'kinda looks like' a stegasaurus is actually a representation of a mythical creature called the Makara. The fringe sites that promote this kinda stuff never show you where that carving is - in a wall full of mythical beasts. The Makara is a magical beasty:

en.wikipedia.org...(Hindu_mythology)
edit on 31/10/11 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

top topics

join