It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists use magnetized NANO-PROBES to find cancers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
High Tech Detection of Breast Cancer Using Nanoprobes and SQUID

New research published in BioMed Central's open access journal Breast Cancer Research provides a new and potentially more sensitive method using tumor-targeted magnetic nanoprobes and superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) sensors.

The nanoprobes can measure directly at cell level within the breast to detect tumors 1,000 times smaller than felt by manual palpation and 100 times smaller than mammogram x-ray.

Current technology misses 10-25% of tumors and can't recognize if the tumor is benign or malignant without a biopsy. Nano- technology will allow this invasive recognition without a typical biopsy.

Future refining of the system could allow not only tumor to be found but to be classified according to protein expression (rather than waiting for biopsy results). This in turn could be used to predict disease progression and refine treatment plans and so improve patient survival.

so ladies, tired of having doctors poke around and squish your breasts into an x-ray machine? just let these lil magnetized robots float around in your body instead!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
So how far have they come with prevention of cancer?
Who cares about detection, it's the same treatments basically whether detected early or not.... medications the cancers adapt to, possible surgery, radiation, chemo.

Why nano-probes? Why not just turn us all into walking RFID antennas so the gov't can monitor all our organ functions?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Pretty cool I reckon, as long as the human trials pan out okay. Biopsies seem better than multiple X-Rays, which I read somewhere could actually contribute to cancer(more than 2 a year).
I wonder if these guys could do it better? www.abovetopsecret.com...
More -
Dog's Sniff Out Breast Cancer

Peace,
spec
edit on 28-10-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
As long as it's not a CURE, I'm sure the powers that be will let this new technology take root.

I, for one, would be glad to do away with the squishing.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
also this related story from the same source: Nanoprobes Hit Targets in Tumors, Could Lessen Chemo Side Effects

Tiny nanoprobes have shown to be effective in delivering cancer drugs more directly to tumor cells -- mitigating the damage to nearby healthy cells -- and Purdue University research has shown that the nanoprobes are getting the drugs to right cellular compartments.

The nanoprobes, which are about 1,000 times smaller than the diameter of a human hair, are made from gold and magnetic particles. An MRI machine can track the magnetic portions of the nanoprobes while a more sensitive microscopy process can detect the gold

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Has nano tech been used on humans yet in any field?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
As long as it's not a CURE, I'm sure the powers that be will let this new technology take root.

Happens all the time.
-Researchers..... "Hey we found a cure, or close to one!"
-Big Pharma..... "Sorry, it's too cheap and effective... shelf it."

edit on 28-10-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Has nano tech been used on humans yet in any field?

According to the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies (PEN), health and fitness items continue to dominate available nanotech products, representing 60 percent of products listed. More products are based on nanoscale silver—used for its antimicrobial properties—than any other nanomaterial; 259 products (26 percent) use silver nanoparticles. PEN’s updated inventory represents products from over twenty-four countries, including the US, China, Canada, and Germany.

17. Nanotech Particles Pose Serious DNA Risks to Humans and the Environment

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It should also be noted that these nanotech devices, stay in your body forever.

You can see that their is potential for governmental abuse.
Not that I am one to clamor to the claims that they want to RFID everyone, I just think it is important to consider the variable and the humar factor.

Alls it would take is for one politician to get the bright idea, that they just need to mix the two and the fun begins.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss

I, for one, would be glad to do away with the squishing.

I see a cure for all cancer arriving very soon.

When it arrives someone will get on TV and say " From this day forward people will continue
to get cancer but they will not suffer or die from it."

The solution is to cut off the blood supply to the tumors.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don't usually pay much attention to the number of flags and stars but I gotta say I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this! Seemed pretty significant to me.

ETA: just a thought though.... maybe we all on ATS already knew nanobots are a threat, so this seeming breakthrough isn't really that big

sorta like... OMG Bank of America closed someone's account cuz they missed one payment!

edit on 28-10-2011 by Thermo Klein because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

these are not "nanobots" nor "nano-devices". they have simply moved the biopsy assay from laboratory to body internal using.....

.....antibody tagged with iron-oxide. (a nano-particle)

the half-life of such an antibody is, I am sure, no longer than several days.

top topics

join