It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To protect and serve? Who?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I am not anti law enforcement in anyway as long as the laws they are enforcing are constitutional.

"To Protect and Serve"

That is many police departments motto, but whom are they actually protecting?

Take the OWS movement they are peacefully protesting as the 1st amendment allows yet as we've seen in Oakland, CA they indiscriminately target non-violent peaceful protesters with what many would call excessive force. So surely they are not there to protect the people. Whom then? Ahh yes the Government and Corporations. Is there any proof besides the video evidence?

Well included in this video "30 little known facts about America" Is one about the police's duty to protect the people. Its #28 in the video.

It is not the duty of the police to protect you. Their job is to protect the Corporation and arrest code breakers. Sapp v. Tallahasee, 348 So. 2nd. 363, Reiff v. City of Philadelphia, 477 F.Supp. 1262, Lynch v. N.C. Dept of Justice 376 S.E. 2nd. 247.

Ask yourself just whom are the Oakland police protecting here?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Well Said!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I don't think it has much to do with the police, I'm sure they didn't wake up that day and decide to head to OWS.
The question is, WHO is giving the police these orders? The police are only doing their job.

edit on 28-10-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I have watched the footage from this event several times and still do not understand what merited the using of tear gas? Seems when any force is used by the police against a group of unarmed individuals things really heat up and in many circumstances turns a peaceful crowd violent and the looting starts. However the outrage is there but no one is using the moment to become outlaws. Protect and Serve the primary interests in their community. The tax base and infrastructure. Where I live the police spend more time as revenue generators than actual officers of the peace.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Good topic, I was just wondering the same thing myself. Here's a partial answer, a fellow worker sent me a link to this Rolling Stone article this morning, it's a good read. Might piss you off a bit, but good:

Wall Street Isn't Winning It's Cheating

Millions of people have been foreclosed upon in the last three years. In most all of those foreclosures, a regional law enforcement office -- typically a sheriff's office -- was awarded fees by the court as part of the foreclosure settlement, settlements which of course were often rubber-stamped by a judge despite mountains of perjurious robosigned evidence. That means that every single time a bank kicked someone out of his home, a local police department got a cut. Local sheriff's offices also get cuts of almost all credit card judgments, and other bank settlements. If you're wondering how it is that so many regional police departments have the money for fancy new vehicles and SWAT teams and other accoutrements, this is one of your answers. Read more: www.rollingstone.com...

So yeah, they serve...eviction papers

and they protect.....the interests of the elite

Bought and paid for they are, so it's really no wonder why they seem to favor the "status quo".

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It makes me sad and angry to see that footage of Mr. Olsen. To this day I still don't understand wth that cop was thinking using a concussion grenade on people who were helping an injured person. I guess logic and reason flew out the window at that moment huh? I bet that the cop who did that didn't even get so much as a peep of scolding. Sick bastards.....

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
it's quite obvious what is going on here. This is it. The final mexicaqn showdown between the people and the government. We are stronger but that doesn't mean the government doesn't have the same resolve and wont push back just as hard. It's also quite clear to me that the mentality of these police officers are HIGHLY corrupted to put it lightly. I mean how can you knowingly and willingly do that your fellow man without seeing that it's wrong? obviously they are NOT here to protect and serve us, that's just a show they put on so it makes them seem like they are on our side when really they are the enemy.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Protect and Serve is a throwback motto. I havet seen that on a car in at least 15 years.

The SCOTUS ruled they have no obligation to protect.

Order through law, justice with mercy - Houston PD

Semper Aequus - Maine State PD

Fidelis ad Mortem - NYPD (which is pretty damn creepy considering how corrupt they are)

Honor, Integrity, Service - Philly PD

"Protect and Serve" is a rarity.

I think LA and Omaha still use it.

Here's a link to an LEO forum where they discuss alternative mottos: link

Granted there's no way to know whether or not the posters are true cops but the comments are disturbing nonetheless:

"To provide you idiots with outstanding police services"
We whack 'em, you stack 'em!
In god we trust..... All others are suspects!
Your dime, My time.
"We'll kick your a** and take your donuts too!"

Cop forums are a wonderful place to see what they think of you.
edit on 28-10-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I don't think it has much to do with the police, I'm sure they didn't wake up that day and decide to head to OWS.
The question is, WHO is giving the police these orders? The police are only doing their job.

They were likely given the order to clear the area by the mayor or the police chief. However excessive force was used when it was not necessary. they could have arrested them one by one as other jurisdictions have.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

reply to post by SWCCFAN

oh now, come on............. look how close he was standing to the barricade, and your telling me that shooting him while he was just standing there was not deliberate? PLEASE
you've got to be kidding right? I've fired those things before, and that cop knew exactly what he was doing, and it was wrong, and he knows that as well. Same goes for the cop who put the gas grenade right in the middle of the group trying to help the guy. Don't sit there and tell us that these guys are just doing what they are told, and not taking it to a cruel personal level for themselves for what ever reason that may be. That was blatantly obvious that he shot that marine, maybe he wasn't aiming exactly for the head, but he knew it was going to hit him for sure, and that is not what those rounds are meant for. get a clue there bud......................

just to add, when I served in the military, we learned about the use of force ladder. I've posted this on ATS before, but I think that this is a perfect thread to bring this back. www.ehow.com... this is what the police should be doing in my opinion, this method is proven, and effective. the argument with the ladder is that it could pose as a problem for an officer to have to follow the steps in the use of the ladder, but really, when it comes down to it, it's common sense, and how well you can react to a situation. the cops need to be re-structured, and re-trained IMHO.

edit on 28/10/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

I was trying to get a picture up for visual aid, but can't get the picture I want to work, but if you google Use Of Force Ladder, and go to images, it's the first pic there, the Jim Wagner titled one.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by facewhatly

I'm sorry, although I agree with you in this case, I don't think it's fair to pin the "Enemy" label on all cops. I'm pretty sure there are cops out there who actually follows the "Protect and Serve" motto as much as the next guy. But I will be quick to label that particular cop, who injured Mr. Olsen, an Enemy.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------- No offense, but it has everything to do with police, you can't say the police are "just doing their job" because at the end of the day a job is not just a job, especially if that job entails beating your own cavillians unjustly. the mentality that it's not the police fault is one that takes focus away from the real issue; why are these police officers willingly accepting such questionable(to say the least) commands? and yes it also is relavent who is giving the orders, but the police dont get overlooked just cause they're "doing their job"

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter

reply to post by SWCCFAN

oh now, come on............. look how close he was standing to the barricade, and your telling me that shooting him while he was just standing there was not deliberate? PLEASE
you've got to be kidding right? I've fired those things before, and that cop knew exactly what he was doing, and it was wrong, and he knows that as well. Same goes for the cop who put the gas grenade right in the middle of the group trying to help the guy. Don't sit there and tell us that these guys are just doing what they are told, and not taking it to a cruel personal level for themselves for what ever reason that may be. That was blatantly obvious that he shot that marine, maybe he wasn't aiming exactly for the head, but he knew it was going to hit him for sure, and that is not what those rounds are meant for. get a clue there bud......................

just to add, when I served in the military, we learned about the use of force ladder. I've posted this on ATS before, but I think that this is a perfect thread to bring this back. www.ehow.com... this is what the police should be doing in my opinion, this method is proven, and effective. the argument with the ladder is that it could pose as a problem for an officer to have to follow the steps in the use of the ladder, but really, when it comes down to it, it's common sense, and how well you can react to a situation. the cops need to be re-structured, and re-trained IMHO.

Where did I say the cop didn't know what he was doing?
I never even said anything about that event.
What I was referring to was "Who the police protect & serve".
If someone didn't give them the order to go to OWS, the police wouldn't be there.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

no, you stated the police are only doing their job, and I'm arguing that fact, because this obviously goes beyond their job when they start shooting unarmed citizens in the face......

and then shoot at the people trying to help the man they injured.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

actually very scary

*shades of Fight Club

the OPD opened an inverstigation on her for going against them?

could the oakland police have somehow blackmailed mayor Quan into compliance?
a threat to a family member "they have the goods on"?

who the F do these "cops" think they are?*

as mayor i'd sic the national guard or the FBI on them and have every single dirty cop blacklisted if not jailed.
edit on 28-10-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

you obviously did not watch the olberman video
do so

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

Your absoloutly right. I am sorry for putting it that way, seeing as how I will stand up for cops when my friends label them.(they do it all the time) And yes it is true there are many cops that beleive in; "to serve and protect" but i still beleive that most cops are not like that unfortianatly, but only time will tell. thanks for the reply

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by facewhatly

most are just like that, your not them therefore your Public enemy, and it is not who is it what and that what is the law to protect and serve the law, a set of rules and regs set up and designed to control the masses you and me if we do not know them or abide by them then we are law breakers and must be punished.

edit on 3-11-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere I think LA and Omaha still use it.

No. In Los Angeles. They took it off after the Rampart scandal.
It was too hypocritical and the people knew it.

edit on 3-11-2011 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Cop forums are a wonderful place to see what they think of you.

Care to provide links to them?

top topics

join