It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland Calls For General Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Occupy Oakland Calls For General Strike

Greetings again Above Top Secretions,

Looks like Oaklanders dont take kindly to being shot in the face with rubber bullets, tear gas, and flash-bang grenades. So, in the spirit of non-violent resistance they intend to shut down the city of Oakland, CA on November 2nd. Good luck to them, and I hope nobody gets hurt.

The proposal is for “a city wide general strike and we propose to invite all students to walk out of school. Instead of workers going to work and students going to school, the people will converge on downtown Oakland to shut down the city. All banks and corporations should close down for the day or we will march on them.”

Heres a flyer thats been allegedly circulating...

edit on 27-10-2011 by dashen because: sp.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Strike, we need to do this nation-wide.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sorry to break your post, but that is allready in discussion here

A world wide strike

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

Although I do think that Putin would be excellent at making balloon animals this is a new development initiated by the #Occupy Oakland General assembly, whatever that means.
They intend to do this in Oakland only and thats about it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
.. the people will converge on downtown Oakland to shut down the city. All banks and corporations should close down for the day or we will march on them.

Annoying the general public trying to go about their daily lives, and trying to prevent your average joe from earning a living is NOT going to make them very popular.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Annoying the general public trying to go about their daily lives, and trying to prevent your average joe from earning a living is NOT going to make them very popular.

They are asking the general public to join them.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

I am a little confused. Your thread is talking about a world wide strike, this thread is specific to Oakland, CA, the OWS protests and a reaction to police action that stepped over the boundries of decency.

TO THE OP: Nice find. I wonder how many people will actually participate however. Perhaps it's a different atmosphere over there than in my local area (Western NY) where a day off from work will severely impact the weekly pay packet and to just walk off the job, for a good cause or otherwise, would result almost immediately in termination.

While I understand the good intentions behind such an action, who would actually be the one's hurt here? The person who needs that job to keep the roof over their heads, the Mom and Pop shops who loose customers who may be afraid to go into town for fear of being caught up in something they are not even participating in and the community on a whole. Will the police who are responsible for such bad behavior be inconvenienced? Probably not. Will big business be put out terribly by this action? Most likely not.

While on the surface this seems like an excellent idea, in thinking a little deeper on it, it does not sound like the best idea going. I can certainly understand the feeling of wanting revenge for the actions of a couple of bad police officers. I myself would just love to get my hands on the specific one that let loose the rubber bullet on the vet at the Oakland protest, but to make the rest of the city suffer for the carelessness of a bad cop is not the way to win hearts to your cause. What is the answer? I don't know to be honest.. but I can see this 'strike' leading to even more bad blood and perhaps an escalation in violence.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Myself also living in western NY most people are lucky to have a job at all, even in Walmart.
Plus its about to get too damn cold to occupy anything around here.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Myself also living in western NY most people are lucky to have a job at all, even in Walmart.
Plus its about to get too damn cold to occupy anything around here.

Well hello there fellow western NY'er. Nice to meet you. Hope this day finds you without the first snowfall of the year!
And yes, in this area people are lucky to just have a job, no matter where it is. To this point, I find it so odd that the local OWS - Buffalo protest is so small, however it could very well be the message they are portraying, which in my opinion, is more 'down with capitalism' rather than get money out of politics or down with the big banks. I will say this however, I was proud of our local protest earlier in the week when they 'occupied' the city chambers while in session. They were not disruptive in the least and merely sat in the chambers with signs asking the city to 'divest' and pull the city money out of JP Morgan Chase banks and put the money in smaller local banks that would benefit the community. In my opinion, this was brilliant and well done. Thus far the local movement has also enjoyed a rather good relationship with the city, police force and, surprisingly, the local media who have been covering the Occupy Buffalo with some regularity and have not portrayed the protesters as 'nuts'... at least not yet. I will agree with you however, with the cold weather here and the snows moving in it will be interesting to see how many will still be occupying Niagara Square in about a months time... even for their strong conviction in saying they will be there no matter what the weather conditions.

I honestly hope the strike in Oakland goes off without a hitch, meaning, I hope there is no violence on either side. Unfortunately, the police there have set the precident for violence and the crowd is hopping mad and getting more angry by the minute. Now, according to other threads concerning the Oakland movement, there are more vets becoming aware and calling for action. Personally, I find this a good thing, however, I can certainly see where this situation could very well lead to more violence and possibly spread to other Occupy movements.

Again, nice to meet a fellow WNY'er and I look forward to further discussion on the boards.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
In a time of high unemployment...strikes are a bad idea.

Do you think any unemployed person wouldn't jump at the chance to take someone elses job because they decided to strike???

top topics

join