It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Prisoners Be given the Chance/Or Forced to Join the Millitary?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Originally posted by coldkidc
Hmmm...what could go wrong? Give criminals a gun and the authority and training to kill people?
I guess there's a few cases where it would work...ie. non-violent crimes...but there would definitely have to be some qualifiers - just like parole...maybe an evaluation board or something - and of course the crime they committed would have to be considered.

These guys would not just be handed guns. They would go through all the basic training and boot camps necessary. You will find that alot of these soldiers now are just that, gang members looking to hone their proficiency with firearms. And trust me, after what they see I doubt they will be up much for killing when they get home especially since they will be given a chance to use the money they make in service to start a new life instead of being put back on the streets with no money or job so they have no choice but to commit crimes.

It is amazing that during Vietnam War, there were several misfits picked off the streets and sent to the frontline. I would assume for the major part, the prisoners will come out refined upto a certain extent after a war. The seriously questionable one's should not be allowed but the one's who certainly qualify should be definitely considered instead of tax payers footing their bills to workout, eat and screw around in a prison with ample amenities then many other countries where the prisons are nothing like what we have in the US.

If they survive the war, they get a lesser sentence and possibly be released on bail for the one's that were slapped with life sentences for rage related crimes and not necessarily the charles manson types.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Two issues I would have with this idea:

(1) I would never place trust, nor a gun, into the hands of a violent criminal.; and
(2) I could see this creating a situation where there are increased numbers arrests/convictions for non violent crimes; which would serve the purpose of a military recruitment tool.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

I've always though this was an excellent idea. However, there are still classes of criminals who simply need to always be kept from society, and probably not an option for those folks.

Still though, a great solution to two problems at once.

Then again, you're also training them to be killers, so maybe, THAT part isn't so great. So, the better solution would be support roles, and skipping basic training (or amending it to not include combat lessons).

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkredfish
NO!!! well at least not for violent people. If it was somthing like DUI or drug abuse, sure! But if it was somthing like rape or murder, why would you want to give them a gun and authorization to kill people??? Your insane!!

First of all I see your a new member so il just tell you nicely that personal attacks or namecalling are taboo on this site
Second, Look at the stats of how gangs are in every branch of the millitary as we speak. You think these soldiers are carefully thouroghly screened? They are recruited OUT OF THE GHETTO in alot of cases.

First I would like to say that I am not new to this site, I just switched accounts.
Secondly, Gang members in most cases are not clinicley insane murderers.

'Nuff said,

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

NO!!! well at least not for violent people. If it was somthing like DUI or drug abuse, sure! But if it was somthing like rape or murder, why would you want to give them a gun and authorization to kill people??? Your insane!!

First of all I see your a new member so il just tell you nicely that personal attacks or namecalling are taboo on this site
Second, Look at the stats of how gangs are in every branch of the millitary as we speak. You think these soldiers are carefully thouroghly screened? They are recruited OUT OF THE GHETTO in alot of cases.

First I would like to say that I am not new to this site, I just switched accounts.
Secondly, Gang members in most cases are not clinicley insane murderers.

'Nuff said, [/quote
What is a clinicley insane murderer"?

edit on 27-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join