It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Herman Cain Ad - WTH???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Can someone please explain to me the meaning behind this Herman Cain ad?

Herman Cain Ad

The ad doesn't really say a whole lot, but at the end there are a couple of interesting scenes. Mark Block, Herman Cain's campaign manager, blows smoke at the camera and then we have Herman Cain giving us a strange smile. Is this ad something that should be expected from a serious contender? I'm not a Herman Cain supporter, not after all the flip-flopping he's been caught in, but even if I dislike him for his lack of integrity... I probably would have advised him against airing this piece. I just don't understand the strategy here. Anyone have any input on it?
edit on 26-10-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Thought it was rather Bizzaro myself that said that particular ad wouldn't make me vote for the guy.

Strange.crazy insert whatever word you choose.
edit on 26-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Wow. Um.. Yeah I don't know about this campaign video. However, I think he's trying to go with the "i'm just your average American" feel. Maybe he thinks it's a way to have people not see him as a big shot politician but your average Joe.

That creepy smile at the end was just a bit too much
Creepy.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
That was just incredibly strange. I didn't like Herman Cain before, but this was just weird. It is almost an ad that works against him, it doesn't say anything useful, spouts stupid sounding rhetoric, has bad music, a strange creepy looking Herman Cain, and his campaign manager blowing smoke? What was that even about? Anyways, you are totally right, I think this works more against Cain than for him. But I am not someone who would potentially have voted for HC anyways, so I wonder what the general populace would say about this ad.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The smoke thing was strange and not at all professional. Looks more like the guy smoking in X Files, or maybe that was the intent...
And the fence in the background was an odd scene too. Maybe they just didn't know where else to film it. Low budget?
Aside from that, the message seemed to be one of Unity rather than racism and partisan divide.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That is rather odd.... Not sure what it is... but the end kind of creeps me out.

That smile he does at the end... Just seems like a stereo typical smile from an evil villain in a movie or something.
edit on 26-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Well, what is more stupid than ads attacking your opponents directly in a vicious manner and lying about it too? At least he's not doing that. Sometimes the glass half empty is the glass half full.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
He looked like that was the first cigarette that he ever smoked.
Damn, maybe they wanted to put a white smoking face on the campaign for the middle of the country, then sneak in the fact that he wants them to vote for a black candidate. Silly republicans

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Well, what is more stupid than ads attacking your opponents directly in a vicious manner and lying about it too? At least he's not doing that. Sometimes the glass half empty is the glass half full.

An ad doesn't have to attack anyone. What I expect a political ad to do is to tell me how the candidate plans to fix things, and why he's the right man for the job. I feel that this ad didn't give me any of that.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I'm certainly not a Cain supporter....but I actually liked that ad! It was pretty normal till the blowing smoke part. It was like the campaign manager was sayin' "Hell I'm so cool I'm gonna smoke in a campaign ad!"
It was really unexpected and actually made me bust up laughing for a second! I'm not sure though if the humor in the vid was intentional, though.

link   
This isn't necessarily bizarre as much as it is... oh what's the term I'm looking for.... INCREDIBLY bad.
2nd

link   

you have to be kidding me....

That was simply the most disturbing political ad to date. Not for what he said, but for what he didnt say. Not for what he didn't do, but for what he did.

I'm so confused right now....and that rarely happens. Well, actually it only happens when I witness stunts like this Ad.

I'm a very visual person, love visual communications, emotions and colors, symbolism and communication...
It's almost as if, all this went right out the window when this ad was created. Maybe that's what they were going for though. Something sooooo unorthodox, that it coincides with the progression of Social Anomie, that it plays on the minds of the viewer....

Now i'm feeling a little less confused.... lol

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ok new take ok that was a brilliant ad blowing smoke is what any good poliitican does.

I was in error here.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Don't forget about this gem of an ad. No, it's not a paradoy, but an actual ad.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I was running for president and I accidentally the campaign ad.

That was definitely a disturbing bit of improvisational acting/smoking. Has this piece ran nationally yet? If so, I wonder how this will affect Cain in future polls. That awkward smile at the end makes me sure of one thing: I can't be subjected to that for four years.

link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Yes, I am glad he is not promoting disunity and negativity. That said, it also seems like he is trying not to win his campaign. I guess it depends on which way we see it, so you are right with the glass half empty/full reference. On one hand, it is good, and on the other, it is going to make him fail so even if he had the right ideas, if he doesn't portray himself in such a way as to get elected, he is letting those with ideas of disunity and negativity win the election, himself almost responsible for it.

Also, because this is so horrendously put together and completely unprofessional, it almost is a statement that "fighting for unity and harmony is never going to work." It stigmatizes HC, and as such, stigmatizes everything he stands for. It is like when the OWS protestors start playing bongo drums - even if the OWS protestors have the right idea, when they start acting like stereotypical hippies, the message is lost. I see the same thing happening here. It might do more harm than good for unity and positive campaigning in this country.

link   

I totally get this ad. It is one giant FU to the nanny state. It is basically saying vote for Herman Cain and you will get your freedom back. You will be able to smoke and anything else you want because he will remove the government from interferring with your freedom. Though I do not agree with any of it. I mean after all second hand smoke increases your chance of lung cancer by .00028%.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tHEpROGRESSIVE

I agree with you on its underlying message - People have been so programmed they can't make sense out of things without being told what to think

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kords21
Don't forget about this gem of an ad. No, it's not a paradoy, but an actual ad.

I can't believe it's real!!! Thanks.... I'll be laughing for days over this one

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tHEpROGRESSIVE

I totally get this ad. It is one giant FU to the nanny state. It is basically saying vote for Herman Cain and you will get your freedom back. You will be able to smoke and anything else you want because he will remove the government from interferring with your freedom. Though I do not agree with any of it. I mean after all second hand smoke increases your chance of lung cancer by .00028%.

Yep, that's what it said to me. Can't smoke at work, can't smoke on street, can't smoke at home, can't smoke at bar, can't smoke in car and can't smoke at park to name a few. Busy bodies wanting to control you. They will be after alcohol again next.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join