It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Cyber Attackers May Have Military Info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Japan Cyber Attackers May Have Military Info

www.defensenews.com

TOKYO - Information on military aircraft and nuclear power plants may have been stolen in a series of cyber attacks on Japanese defense contractor Mitsubishi Heavy, a report said Oct. 24.

Mitsubishi Heavy said in late September that 83 computers at 11 of its facilities had been hit by cyber attacks but no leakage of information on products and technologies had been confirmed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
defensesystems.c om

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Mitsubishi Heavy Hacked

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is a follow up development on an excellent item brought to us in a thread authored by InvaderSkich last month (see ATS link above).

Initially when Mitsubushi heavy was hacked we received immediate reassurances that "No Defense-Related Information Leaked In Cyber Attack"... of course, that was the corporate entity reporting; and it now seems that true to fashion, it was't exactly correct.

As of now the story has changed:

The daily, quoting unidentified officials, said part of the information concerned fighters and helicopters that the company is contracted to manufacture for the defense ministry.

"It is not known if these are classified as defense secrets," Asahi said.

Other pieces of information taken are likely to include the design, equipment and earthquake-resistant nature of nuclear power plants in which Mitsubishi Heavy was involved, the daily said.

But the article is wanting in comprehensive detail, so by looking at the efforts of our members in past threads about this incident and company...

Originally posted by sicksonezer0

The Japanese company, which manufactures products as diverse as cars, nuclear power plants, space rockets and air conditioners, said that 45 servers and 38 PCs were infected with viruses at 11 facilities in Japan, including its submarine manufacturing plant in Kobe, western Japan, and a factory in central Japan that makes engine parts for missiles.

And another Defense media publisher reviewed the information and came up with a rather sensational headline...

Japanese contractor hack might have put US in danger

New information has come to light on what was thought to be a minimal cyberattack against defense contractor Mitsubishi Heavy in September, but may actually have infiltrated data on U.S. military aircraft and nuclear power plants, according to Agence France-Presse.

(Link noted above.)

So the question I have is a two-parter:

1 - When do we get to know if they stole Japanese Ministry of Defense Info and what does it have to do with US military technology? and

2 - How much classified data about US military technology resides in Mitsubishi Heavy's systems?

There is a third question, but it is blatantly facetious...

What the hell kind of way is that to control information; giving it to a corporation who won't even tell the truth when something potentially very bad happens? (Apparently, this is not just a BP thing.)

www.defensenews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-10-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It's time for the whole world to give China a fat lip, they steal corporate/military secrets from everyone.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This ain't no anonymous.

This was state sponsored, cyber warfare
is eventually going to be labeled as terrorism
when someone dies over it.

People will die soon because of the incompetence
of protecting cyber assets in the new age of cyber crime.

SECURE THE SYSTEMS like you would secure your
country.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
DP
edit on 26-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow if this is true this is pretty incredible, they even state specifically the earthquake resistance, but then again, it did say that the paper said that...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Easier said than done, I am no security expert but I think all that can be done is enhance security. I doubt anything is ever unhackable, if there is enough intent its only a matter of time before the intended system is attacked.

Also you could argue no countries are secure, even the US and UK lets in "illegals" so thats not a great example.

edit on 26-10-2011 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I wonder who is behind this? Hmmm? Now if it can be confirmed who is responsible for this latest breach of a country's privacy and sovereignty what is going to be the response? Lately, these kind of breaches have being going on unchallenged, and with little to no response. This is an attempt to exploit a vulnerable Japan because of the on-going nuclear disaster and tsunami.

I will not call out names, because it is unclear who is actually responsible? However, I have my suspicions of one suspect. Many on here probably know who it is. They are playing a nasty game, and sooner or later the victims of these crimes are going to wise-up. Perhaps some responses could be sanctions, economic warfare, maybe an Asian Pacific arms race, or further proliferation of nuclear weapons?

These activities have consequences, and I tend to see it as an act of hostile intent. Japan has been kicking around the idea of changing its pacifist constitution for some time now. I hope they don't have to go the route of amending their constitution and expanding their military doctrine. With that said, how can anyone blame them with stuff like this going on, and not even a peep about this from their defense partner the United States. The international community has got to come out and make a strong statement about this. All this does is stoke paranoia, and makes the world less safe.
edit on 26-10-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Now why would the US say anything about this incident?
they would [robably try to do some fence mending at the factory level, and beef up what security other contractors use, but they wont admit they were harmed by this unless they have to.....
They fidure its better to remain aloof than give anything more away....
You can bet that theres tit for tat going on in the cyber commands new little war......

new topics

top topics

join