It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New numbers: Income for top 1 percent skyrocketed over last 30 years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

So you already know that the gap between rich and poor has been widening lately. But some new numbers from the Congressional Budget Office put the issue into stark relief.

That top 1 percent saw its income skyrocket by 275 percent. Those between the 80th and 99th percentile--that is, the top 20 percent, excluding the very top 1 percent--also did pretty well, seeing their income rise by 65 percent. Income for the bottom 20 percent, meanwhile, grew by just 18 percent.

Source

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
What makes it wrong is that it was mostly done on the backs of workers. To the demise of workers. How many families/local economies/services have been ruined so a very tiny few can get richer.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
We need to cut the top 1 percent's taxes so they can create jobs.

We should also slash or end social security and medicare. End unemployment benefits.

Eliminate minimum wage.

It's quite obvious it's all of these people that need help and are on these programs are really the ones hurting the billionaires from creating jobs.

Do billionaires lay in bed all night...unable to sleep...because the 10 billion they have sitting in the bank isn't enough to create one American job?

edit on 26-10-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Who cares????
So what....

Unless you are envious of what they have, or want it taken from them and handed out to everyone else, who cares!!!

Stop worrying about what others have.
Start taking care of yourself.

Geez, more focused attention on building yourself, instead of tearing others down.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
What makes it wrong is that it was mostly done on the backs of workers. To the demise of workers. How many families/local economies/services have been ruined so a very tiny few can get richer.

So, they force you to work at their businesses, correct?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The difference between 275%, 65%, and 18% is simply astounding. Imagine everyone was given a dollar 30 years ago. That dollar in 30 years for the top 1% grows to $3.75, for the top 19% they now have $1.65, and everyone else has $1.18. How could the bottom 80% even begin to compete with this. The only method I know is to pool our money.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Expand the line of site further, and it impacts lives outside our Country... Who wants to bunk 20 deep and clock in 18 hour days for a few bucks to send back home? This is detrimentally effecting everyone's health even though it's not fully recognized.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

The difference between 275%, 65%, and 18% is simply astounding. Imagine everyone was given a dollar 30 years ago. That dollar in 30 years for the top 1% grows to $3.75, for the top 19% they now have $1.65, and everyone else has $1.18. How could the bottom 80% even begin to compete with this. The only method I know is to pool our money.

There's a great thread about what 1 cent would do for fractional banking inside of 30 years. Hopefully you find it before I do!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

What's the alternative? Let's assume malabsorption from an entirely MSG diet.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
We need to cut the top 1 percent's taxes so they can create jobs.

We should also slash or end social security and medicare. End unemployment benefits.

Eliminate minimum wage.

It's quite obvious it's all of these people that need help and are on these programs are really the ones hurting the billionaires from creating jobs.

Do billionaires lay in bed all night...unable to sleep...because the 10 billion they have sitting in the bank isn't enough to create one American job?

edit on 26-10-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

Fitting for a slogan... Everything must go!! Go towards lining pockets that ain't yours!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Well it's pretty damned obvious that 275 percent isn't enough!!!

The bottom 80 percent is so greedy...with their $1.18 cents. Cripes we should all be imprisoned.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I kinda care considering my money went to bail out those 1 % at the lowest of low rates but when i want a loan, not a hand out, to start my own business they don't want to lend me any money. If I do get the loan I sure don't get the rates they received.

The nature of the market has been tampered with, always has, but this was blatant and on a worldwide scale. That's wealth distribution at its finest. Yet now its a problem when the little guy wants some. Where was all this righteousness when they took our money to protect their investments. Had they let it all come down, and let the market decide you'd have a valid argument.

Being that they bailed out those 1 percenters your argument is null. Hard to get ahead in a rigged game. Too big to fail, isnt a valid excuse in my book. So yeah Im a little jealous, little envious, and alot angry.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist

You choose not to work.

This is not very complex.

Work to make money.
Don't work, don't make money.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
reply to post by macman

I kinda care considering my money went to bail out those 1 % at the lowest of low rates but when i want a loan, not a hand out, to start my own business they don't want to lend me any money. If I do get the loan I sure don't get the rates they received.

The nature of the market has been tampered with, always has, but this was blatant and on a worldwide scale. That's wealth distribution at its finest. Yet now its a problem when the little guy wants some. Where was all this righteousness when they took our money to protect their investments. Had they let it all come down, and let the market decide you'd have a valid argument.

Being that they bailed out those 1 percenters your argument is null. Hard to get ahead in a rigged game. Too big to fail, isnt a valid excuse in my book. So yeah Im a little jealous, little envious, and alot angry.

2 separate issues.

When the Govt gives bailouts to banks, then yes there is a problem.

When people amass wealth, who cares?
You can do the same.
This is envy at its simplest form.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Your kind of splitting hairs here don't you think. Who is the government , are they not people. Yes How bout bankers they are people too right. OK. Are some of those government people the same people that run banks. The same ones that run the fed and give bailouts to their own companies and organizations? The Fed is a private entity is it not? Ok the people in that organization sat on the boards of the very places they bailed out. Conflict of interest right off the bat. So yeah I envy that. Its cheating in its simplest form.

This fallacy that hard work is the result of many of these 1 percenters wealth is a lie, or maybe not, there was some hard work done but not so much from the people at the top its was the people on the bottom that put them there. Free and cheap labor of others is what got alot of people to the top. Hard work can still get you there today but the game has changed. Its more about who you know, your network not hard work.

So rest assured I'm on my way in that direction. Will I reach the one percent , hell no, and 99 percent of us wont make it there either no matter how hard you work. In the meantime I expect the playing field to be as level as possible

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrStyx

Splitting hairs?
No.

I don't care if certain people have amassed great wealth.
That is the topic being discussed.

Not "What about the bailouts" or "what about the banks".

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You choose not to work.

Work to make money.

It would normally go without saying, but hey... This ain't the prairie days. You don't crisscross the Country panning for gold, fencing land, and/or planting crops. That sort of action is subsidized, monopolized, and corporatized.

This is going to get some mileage in here:

edit on 26-10-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Well Im happy you found peace in complacency and corruption, if you don't care that's fine. But I for one do care as do others. So if you'd kindly step to the side and let us voice and write our frustrations, all will be well. But dont come trying to marginalize other people's concerns just cause you don't care.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

You choose not to work.

Work to make money.

It would normally go without saying, but hey... This ain't the prairie days. You don't crisscross the Country panning for gold, fencing land, and/or planting crops. That sort of action is subsidized, monopolized, and corporatized.

This is going to get some mileage in here:

edit on 26-10-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

So whine, cry and stop your shoes in a tantrum.

Really?

You can choose not to work. There are many people not working, yet they seem to get along ok with Govt free money, handouts and doing without items.

Since when did leeching become not "the in thing" anymore?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
reply to post by macman

Well Im happy you found peace in complacency and corruption, if you don't care that's fine. But I for one do care as do others. So if you'd kindly step to the side and let us voice and write our frustrations, all will be well. But dont come trying to marginalize other people's concerns just cause you don't care.

Do not assume, nor confuse what I believe or what I am ok with.

Am I ok that the Govt bailed out Car Manufactures, Banks, Countries and so on?
NO.

Do I care about the wealth of one person, or many persons?
NO.

The topic as a whole is crying about how some people hold large amounts of wealth.
WHO CARES.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join