It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking Capital Found in Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Linn Duchaill: Ireland's unlikely Viking capital
(from: bbc.co.uk)

Twelve hundred years ago it was the site of Linn Duchaill, one of the first Viking settlements, which rivalled Dublin in size and importance.

Folklore said it was there, but all traces of it had disappeared, until a group of archaeologists and local historians set out to prove its existence.

Extensive field research and test digs have now done that.

An interesting bit of Irish history - this was the Viking capital until the 9th c. when they abandoned it in favor of the location of present-day Dublin.

There's a good timeline of Viking kingdoms in Ireland here:
Viking Kingdom of Dublin / Dyflin

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is a cool post thanks for putting it up. I always love to learn new things about the Vikings there society was a very unique society in western europe in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Very interesting. I am also a big fan of European history.

I am glad that there were people who were willing to look for something that survived in local folk lore. I think there are truths contained in the old stories. We might not recognize them right off, but keeping an open mind can sometimes produce surprising results.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Excellent Post, just read the link :-)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Nice piece of work Blackmarketeer, always wondered where that place had gone too.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Cool stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't call it a capital though as doesn't a capital imply they already had taken over the country? The settlement itself demonstrates that that wasn't true. It's a large, somewhat remote, heavily fortified raiding base. It wouldn't have had to be quite so isolated and fortified if they really did run the whole country already.

But it's amazing in that people tend to think of raiding as being a boat showing up and grabbing stuff and people and chopping up and burning the rest of it and then leaving. This is a much more industrial scale operation.
edit on 31-10-2011 by 11andrew34 because: clarifications

new topics

top topics

join