It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland: police fire teargas and baton rounds at protesters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Occupy Oakland: police fire teargas and baton rounds at protesters

www.guardian.co.uk

At least 85 arrests after police clash with protesters attempting to retake Frank Ogawa Plaza, which was base for demonstrations
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Cops how far are you going to let this go until someone steps up and says its wrong? Are you just following orders or do you actually get some sick sense of enjoyment out of this? I wonder, will you continue to follow orders if you're told to use live ammunition?

PROTECT

AND

SERVE

You are supposed to be protecting and serving the people of this country and our God given rights not the corporations or the Government. Remeber your oath to OUR constitution. The videos below are sickening.

This looks more like something out of Nazi Germany than America.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Nazi Germany? What is that for a comment?

The middle east would be a better comparison.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by novuslibertas

Well it certainly looks like a fascist regime. It's definitely a massive over reaction on behalf of the police and just gives more evidence of an over bearing police state.

But having seen the amount of anti OWS posts on ATS, I'm sure many of the police are reveling in gassing some hippies

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by novuslibertas
Nazi Germany? What is that for a comment?

The middle east would be a better comparison.

Regardless this isnt America. Police dressing up to play war with unarmed people doing nothing more than exercising their God given right to speak their mind and protest? Unreal that the police would even follow such an absurd order and unreal that they need to dress up in full riot gear against unarmed people.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by e11888

I suggest that people interfacing with the media and with the cops at protests, starting demanding that the cops protect protesters rights. This will put the spotlight back on the rights of protesters.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
This entire situation just makes me think of this guy and what he is attempting to tell the cops there.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Here's a suggestion..

We know how the media likes to fake things and make things look worse than they are for the sake of the 1% and the police.

How about doing the same?
Faking it on camera to make it look way worse than it is!
A show like this on the media would blow this thing outta the park and make the cops back off.
Its October, its pretty easy to get your hands on fake blood at the moment.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
This makes me sick!

If this movement can keep moving there's gonna be a point when most people decide to choose a side.

I don't like what i'm seeing at all though, it infuriates me.

Whatever happened to "Protect & Serve" ?

more like,

"Harass & Intimidate"

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by e11888

That video was awesome to watch.

It's good to see at least one marine standing up for the people. If only the rest of them would join him.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
As long as the police continue to enforce the laws that protect the elite and oppress the people I will continue to associate LEO's with Nazis. If you're a cop and don't like it then deal with it because it's true.

I hate to say it but some of these puppet police are going to be made an example of soon. You damn well better expect retaliation from me if you try to tear gas me while I am protesting. You better also expect me to be with some people who also will not take this garbage. It's going to be a long winter for these Nazi thugs.

There are way more of us than them!
edit on 26-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I just simply don't see the connection with Nazi's and fascism that's what annoys me. You guys are labeling groups and that infuriates other groups and so on. In a way you aren't any different than the cops.

I thought this movement didn't label groups and that they wanted to unite and a lot more wonderful pacifist settings. However it seems they continuously break their own rules everywhere I look.

I honestly don't see what they are trying to achieve. The 1% (if it is even 1%) will not give away their power just because the other side is uniting and strong in quantity.

They'll have to be removed from their positions and that cannot be done without force however they'll use force to remove the movement before the movement figures that out.

I like the positive and modernized way of thinking but I believe it's not of this world and this reality.
edit on 26/10/11 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by e11888

For those who are not familiar with British terms, a Baton round here in the states are not actual batons. We call them bean bag rounds, which fall into the category of less than lethal. I would like confirmation of that use since it is not designed as a crowd control device.

As far as the mixed response from protesters in terms of law enforcements use of force please keep in mind that it only takes a few morons (on both sides) to ruin it for everyone else. When dealing with large mobs, it becomes increasingly difficult to pinpoint those who are going beyond the realm of protest and into the realm of breaking the law. Wading into throngs of protestors in order to deal with the issue creates a danger to the police based solely on numbers. Im not saying protestors would attack the police, however why create the possibility?

What these protestors need, and in some cities they have done this, is to appoint leaders and meet with the police / city government an ensure communications in both directions. My irritation is with the media and their typical seizure of the few idiots and their actions, and how that is portrayed as all protestors.

If they (OWS) can organize itself I think they could make a difference.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by novuslibertas

There is a difference between labeling groups and calling out the nazi thug cops for the oppressors of the people that they are.

I know that "they are only following orders" but the same can be said about the Nazis. I will feel no pity for the first police officer that gets hurt or worse. They had the option to put down the riot gear and join the protests but they chose to tear gas the people instead.

The people have spoken and we will not stand for this anymore.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
DP
edit on 26-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: Dp

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Oakland Mayor Jean Quan has said that the free-speech area is open between 6am and 10pm. And, also it's not allowed to set up anything in the free speech area. So, that's how freedom of speech works in USA.

I think the images from Oakland speaks for themselves. And, the images are world-wide.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nidstav

In the United Netherlands you have to write a letter to a minister to apply for a demonstration or protest and you have to explain why you are doing it and then the minister decides if it's contributing to the society.
If you get approved your demonstration or protest is banned to some field far away from any city behind a hay field in the cold wind.

It's really redicilious. If we would do that what the Americans are doing in the video the same would happen for denying the law.

However I can not call it Fascist or the result Nazi's as it's actually just Capitalism and Representative Democracy.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by e11888

I knew this would happen in Oakland! Those people up there are so freakin' fed up with the Oakland Police Department already. That's a very well known abusive police department. They constantly kill and harm unarmed civilians as was the case with the young man Oscar Grant back on January 1, 2009.

I am so outraged right now and sickened by this
The SHHTF now! All the protestors were trying to do was march to city hall earlier in the day when the police came and made them disperse. The protestors decided to go back hours later and that's when all hell broke loose. The protestors DO have FREEDOM TO ASSEMBLY, ASSOCIATION & SPEECH!

I would say the fact that the police were dressed in riot gear is a sign that they were expecting to incite violence against these protestors who up until that point had been peaceful. The actions by the police is wrong on so many levels....this crap has got to STOP!

To you ignorant, cowardice, "We're just following orders", lame police departments around the US, you had better wake up. We are not going to take anymore of your SENSELESS and UNNECESSARY brutality!

I can guarantee that the protestors in Oakland will be back...I just hope no one looses their life next time.

ETA
Meanwhile, down here in Los Angeles:

It's safe to say that while Angeleans are well known for protesting, city officials have given their full support of our occupation of downtown Los Angeles. The police here so far have been supportive as well. The city knows that if it comes down to it....Angeleans will fight back relentlessly, so peaceful assembly from the beginning and respect from law enforcement is the best policy so we do not repeat history.

OCCUPY LOS ANGELES
OCCUPY L.A. SITE
edit on 10/26/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I pretty sure baton rounds include rubber bullets ,plastic bullets and yes bean bag rounds, I would rather be hit by a bean bag round than a rubber bullet tbh

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
this wasnt a beanbag round.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 26-10-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join