It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report : NATO used Enriched Uranium in Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It does not mater that there was a Iraqi nuclear enrichment and testing site just out side Fallujah at Al Atheer Centre.

www.fas.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
It does not mater that there was a Iraqi nuclear enrichment and testing site just out side Fallujah at Al Atheer Centre.

www.fas.org...

The large nuclear weapons related buildings and bunkers were destroyed under IAEA/UNSCOM supervision in summer 1992.

So you are saying this pollution has been sitting there since 1992 and no one noticed it until recently?
Interesting hypothesis.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Good find ! I was only aware of the reactor near baghdad as a potential source of enriched uranium. Not sure how politicaly unbiased Russia today is towards America so I'm a little bit suspicious when they make reports like this.

I'm keeping an open mind though, Does anyone know if it's possible to find out where the enriched uranium came from based on specific levels of impurities or something like that ?
edit on 25-10-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
reply to post by ANNED

Good find ! I was only aware of the reactor near baghdad as a potential source of enriched uranium. Not sure how politicaly unbiased Russia today is towards America so I'm a little bit suspicious when they make reports like this.

That's a good point.

But we need to be careful not to allow our political divisions to cause us to be blinded to what may have actually happened there.

I do admit that it is possible this type of contamination could be decades old remnant of a nuclear facility, however we have no data to support that hypothesis yet (that I know of at this point). It is quite the mystery it seems.

edit on 25-10-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I'm keeping an open mind though, Does anyone know if it's possible to find out where the enriched uranium came from based on specific levels of impurities or something like that ?

I don't think we are technologically advanced enough for that level of accuracy yet. It's pretty hard to tell the difference between two atoms of the same isotope/structure.

Perhaps if we had samples of the ore it was refined from, we could determine exactly what mine it originated from.
But we don't have anything like that.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

It does deserve international attention, i agree. Whatever the source it's not good having uranium floating around the enviroment. A bit of secondary ion mass spectrometry should be able to reveal the origins of the uranium and then the finger can be pointed in the right direction. (yeah i googled
)

I think you can tell from the impurities in the uranium - but i don't really know, my science isn't that advanced.

I'm having a look at nuclear forensics now - see what you made me do !!

Some interesting stuff here about forensics but couldn't get a difinative answer.State of the art nuclear forensics

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
This weapon had a yield of 10-20 tons, thus comparable to the GBU/43-B. Given it was developed in the '50's, I wonder if any are still viable. However, it could be a reasonable candidate for potential consideration.

This page on suitcase nukes describes some other types of "portable" nuclear weapons.

edit on 10/25/2011 by abecedarian because: link formatting

The W70 warhead is almost 30-40 years old now, and here is a description from wiki about it's capabilities.

It's just a good example of what is possible a long time ago. (I am aware Cohan said the W70 is incorrectly characterized as a neutron bomb).

The warhead had a variable yield of between 1 and 100 kilotons, selectable by the user. The design dates from 1973.

The W70-3 was a modified version of the W70 and one of the first warheads to be battlefield-ready with an "enhanced radiation" (i.e. neutron bomb) feature. It had an explosive yield of about 1 kt., was manufactured during 1981-83, and was retired by 1992; 380 were built. Note that using the explosive yield of a neutron weapon to measure its destructive power can be deceptive: most of the injuries inflicted by a neutron weapon are caused by its intense pulse of ionising radiation, not from heat and blast.

You could actually select the yield apparently.
If they could do that 30-40 years ago, what is possible today?
edit on 25-10-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Some interesting stuff here about forensics but couldn't get a difinative answer.State of the art nuclear forensics

Haha, that's a good thing though right?

Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like this as well.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
One thing this does make me wonder about is how depleted are those depleted uranium rounds, do they ever get faulty batches ?

Multiple studies using cultured cells and laboratory rodents suggest the possibility of leukemogenic, genetic, reproductive, and neurological effects from chronic exposure.[5] A 2005 epidemiology review concluded: "In aggregate the human epidemiological evidence is consistent with increased risk of birth defects in offspring of persons exposed to DU
- wikipedia

Seems depleted uranium is bad enough without the enriched variety ( I'm learning here !)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Haha, that's a good thing though right?

Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like this as well.

Yeah it's a good thing, these sort of threads are the main reason i signed up with ATS in the first place - good work.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Fallujah.........There was some talk of the devastation caused there during that battle....It was supposedly willey peter rounds (ie White phosphorus) that was used was it not?
They were saying the burns were horrendous and this may be suspect as the "Secret weapon" thats been talked about
maybe the rounds were really something other than wp.....the professor compares the exposure to a poison gas in the clip, so perhaps this was exactly what they used to flush the Mujhadeen out of their warren of a city.....
Im wonering if there is some kind of nukethat creates a small cloud of radioactive poison as in the uranium powder mixed with HE and the explosion creates a kind of plasma....
Liike in a factory you want to take down....you first sweep the rafters and floors and use the huge dustpilke to form a plasma with a first charge, and blow the plasma with a second explosion a nano second later....
This is an explosion multiplyer and the dust will substitute for many hundreds of pounds of explosives.
Perhaps the shock waves from such an explosion woulds cause very distinct and not usual injuries.
Eyeballs popped out eardrums all blown in bleeding from all orfices etc...even internal injuries .....
The MOB does the same job with5 tons of gasoline which is allowed to make a vapour in the air as the outer bomb opens, and the inner bomb goes off after that and makes the same huge bang as the dustpile....

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Here are a few more available in the sub-KT range:
[Taken from here.]

B61 allegedly still "active".
W79 stockpiled.
W84 stockpiled.

edit on 10/25/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Yep, just another example of RT using conspiracy theory BS as a form of "Journalism".

Say what you will about western media, but this is simply embarrassing.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Yep, just another example of RT using conspiracy theory BS as a form of "Journalism".

Say what you will about western media, but this is simply embarrassing.

They jump to conclusions like our media here in the states, and I usually advise people to not trust Russia Today since it has been in fact funded by the Kremlin directly. Check the wiki.

Of course as pointed out in the thread, this evidence could be a result of a local nuclear facility leaking.

That's totally possible, but we need more information to find out. Also I highly suggest the US Military brass to consider doing some extra tests on the soldiers to make sure they are clean.

If the level of contaminants is high enough they may have to evacuate the civilians in the hot zone, but I suppose that's the Iraqi govt's call.

But then again I expect many wouldn't leave anyway...if they didn't evacuate when they were under siege than I highly doubt they will leave when 'invisible long term' dangers are discovered.

The reason I am thinking about local types of random contamination possibilities is because I cannot determine any type of weapon that would leave this type of signature. Even when imagining secret unknown sci-fi weapons, it's hard to pinpoint something that would do this.

Perhaps we can find some official documents listing the full inventory of enriched uranium and it's locations throughout Iraq during the 80s and 90s.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join