It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA Lawsuit Against SeaWorld Seeking Constitutional Rights For Whales

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Or how about let PETAs stats speak for themselves. PETA kills more animals a year than it "saves".

And to answer your question, yes, PETA believes all pets are slaves and no human should ever "own" a pet.

Idiots, a bunch of over the top hippy idiots. I hesitate to call them hippies because I feel that is a disservice to actual hippies, but I can't find an appropriate term that wouldn't be blocked.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
While I agree with PETA's broader stance on this issue, I think that going down the Constitutional route is just plain foolishness. It seems to me that they are attempting to exploit a loophole in the ambiguous wording, and it's pretty obvious that those who drafted the 13th Amendment were not including animals when they did so.

Having said that, I think the constitutional/unconstitutional argument is largely moot, as, wether way, there's no way that animals should be imprisoned in zoos or aquariums. It's just completely unethical, and I'm staggered that, in 2011, in a supposedly more ''enlightened'' time in human history, that people generally still seem to think that it's acceptable to keep animals in captivity, for the ''entertainment'' of the public.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
We will give corporate entities "human" rights but god forbid someone stands up for animal rights...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Humans are primates aka animals.

Whales are extremely smart and get kept in TINY tanks. Their dorsal fin ONLY goes floppy in captivity. They are depressed/unstimulated.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I don't want to be sued by a damn hamster. I'm looking to get a dog soon. Would that be slavery? 'Sit boy' I'll say. In response I get 'F you I'm union!'.

Cant breathe, laughing so hard.

Yeah sometimes PETA can take things a little to far, like the story of the Dad who killed the a dog while protecting his daughter, they wanted to jail him for it.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Please read the post that I made on the first page about how these animals are treated.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
. . .
So, they just happen to kill trainers with an alarming regularity.....

Two kills in two years is hardly alarming regularity.

What about kills in 2011?

2008? 07?

Bleeding to death and spouting blood through her blowhole? What a way to die, suffocating on your own blood because your captor is too cheap to buy another tank for to live in. There's a picture on the page for your viewing pleasure.

Because obviously whales do not show dominance and get injured and die in the wild. It only happens in captivity.

So they do a root canal and leave the tooth wide open? Oh yea, they're taking good care of them!

It is not a root canal.

FFS, do some research. They drill them so that if they crack, they can flush out anything that gets stuck in there, as their teeth are hollow.

They are also cleaned out two-three times a day.

But I suppose, once again, that whales in the wild do not die of infections or anything.

Derp.

source

The list goes on. Read the article. They may not need the same rights as a person, but something needs to be done. You can't have things like this happening and not hold the captors responsible.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

Don't feel like reading more tree-hugging propaganda by someone who can't even do basic research . . . or believes that whales in the wild do not get sick and die.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I am 100% for treating animals with kindness and respect. But I am going to call BS when I see it.
edit on 10/26/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Without seaworld people would NEVER be able
to see what these whales are really capable of.

Should the wales get a larger tank?
Sure.

Seaworld should be commended for showing
millions of people of how smart whales are.

Whales are still hunted by japanese they looooove whale meat.

They would still be whale meat and used for oil in America if not
for seaworld and free whilly.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Although I think it is vicious to kill animals, it is still highly accepted in society that a human's life is more valuable than an animals. I hate to say this but it is true.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sure why not. Corporations are people according to the Constitution. Why not animals too. Or for that matter, why not trees. Shouldn't we ban eating fruits and vegetables because they are living things and grown for our enjoyment. Those poor plants are enslaved at birth and then, relentlessly plucked from the ground, viciously cut in pieces at the hands of some knife, and torn to sheds by human teeth and digestive acids, only to reappear in a waste facility and eradicated from the face of this planet.

While I am all for human treatment of animals, domestication of animals for our enjoyment does fit the bill. In that case we are all slave owners of dogs and cats, mice, and snakes, or whatever animal we chose to have domesticated.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
. . .
So, they just happen to kill trainers with an alarming regularity.....

Two kills in two years is hardly alarming regularity.

What about kills in 2011?

2008? 07?

Bleeding to death and spouting blood through her blowhole? What a way to die, suffocating on your own blood because your captor is too cheap to buy another tank for to live in. There's a picture on the page for your viewing pleasure.

Because obviously whales do not show dominance and get injured and die in the wild. It only happens in captivity.

So they do a root canal and leave the tooth wide open? Oh yea, they're taking good care of them!

It is not a root canal.

FFS, do some research. They drill them so that if they crack, they can flush out anything that gets stuck in there, as their teeth are hollow.

They are also cleaned out two-three times a day.

But I suppose, once again, that whales in the wild do not die of infections or anything.

Derp.

source

The list goes on. Read the article. They may not need the same rights as a person, but something needs to be done. You can't have things like this happening and not hold the captors responsible.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

Don't feel like reading more tree-hugging propaganda by someone who can't even do basic research . . . or believes that whales in the wild do not get sick and die.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I am 100% for treating animals with kindness and respect. But I am going to call BS when I see it.
edit on 10/26/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

1. Three kills actually. Three murders from only one orca.

Two months later, on 24 February 2010, trainer Dawn Brancheau was killed by Tilikum, an animal involved with two previous human fatalities.

One plus two, is what?

2. Ever heard of a Beta? It's a small fish that will kill any other fish of similar size that it shares a habitat with. You do not keep territorial animals together in the same area, they WILL kill each other. Seaworld is at fault for that death completely.

3. A root canal is when a dentist drills holes into a tooth, yanks out the nerves, and replaces them with plugs. They then seal the tooth back, and it's basically dead. All mammalian teeth are hollow, they have to have nerves inside the tooth! FFS do some research on what a root canal is! You also do not drill holes in a tooth to prevent it from cracking, you do a root canal after the nerve is infected, and then if it's a person you seal the tooth up. If it's a whale, evidently flushing the tooth is acceptable. They probably leave the tooth in and open so that they can keep it from happening again, and save money because the major cost of a root canal comes from resealing the tooth. That's not acceptable. You can't have any mammalian tooth with holes in it without risking an abscess (infection). That's why cavities are bad, they create a hole to the nerve and create an abscess.

Like you, I have to call BS when I see it. You have no idea about keeping animals or mammalian teeth. You didn't even read the article thoroughly.
edit on 26-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

In captivity they often develop pathologies, such as the dorsal fin collapse seen in 60–90% of captive males. Captives have vastly reduced life expectancies, on average only living into their 20s.[Note 3] In the wild, females who survive infancy live 50 years on average, and up to 70–80 years in rare cases. Wild males who survive infancy live 30 years on average, and up to 50–60 years.

source

Usually animals in captivity live to be very old, sometimes older than they would in the wild (source). These captive whales are living half of their common life spans, and not even close to exceptional cases.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Here is an Up-Date to your Thread I thought you may be interested in. BUMP!!!

Court to decide if SeaWorld whales are illegal 'slaves'

A California federal court is to decide for the first time in US history whether amusement park animals are protected by the same constitutional rights as humans.

Me Personally, I think their Animals. So Crucify Me!

The issue arises from a lawsuit filed by rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) in a San Diego court on behalf of five orcas named Tilikum, Katina, Corky, Kasatka and Ulises.

HEY!!!! P. E. T. A. People Eat Tasty Animals!!

PETA argues that continuing the whales' "employment" at SeaWorld violates the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution, which prohibits slavery.

www.breitbart.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join