It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack of Clubs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I hope this is the right place to post my question - it doesn't really have much to do with usual topics.
A good friend of mine pointed out to me, last night, that the Jack of clubs is the only court card in a regular deck of playing cards that faces a different direction to all of the others. We spent some time trying but didn't have much luck searching up an answer as to why this is so. Can anyone, please, enlighten me?
All I could find about the Jack of clubs is that he is traditionally thought to represent Lancelot or Judas Maccabeus. No mention of why he faces the other way, though.
Thanks, one and all.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I am an avid poker player and grew up playing all different types of card games with the fam.

Playing cards have always seemed kind of magical to me, so when I saw this documentary about their history I watched it right away.

Herein lies the answer!

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sirenofthedead

Not sure what you mean by that as:
brigidshouse.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Hi, all I know is that as there are 52 cards that represents the weeks of the year, the four suits equal the four seasons and if you add all of the cards together then the total of the sum is 365. That is all I can help with, I know nothing of Jacks facing different ways though sorry, I just checked two packs and most black picture cards face different ways to the red picture cards. Another poster is right cards are magical and are a Chinese invention if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry I can't help but thought I'd add my ten bob (50 British pence)

edit on 25/10/2011 by theguygeeza because: spelling mistake

edit on 25/10/2011 by theguygeeza because: Added extra

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You're right. I worded it quite incorrectly and thank you for pointing that out.
I will rephrase:
The Jack of clubs faces in a different direction to the Queen and King of clubs - unlike the other three suits in which Jack, Queen and King all face the same way.

That's better

edit on 25/10/11 by sirenofthedead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirenofthedead
reply to post by intrptr

You're right. I worded it quite incorrectly and thank you for pointing that out.
I will rephrase:
The Jack of clubs faces in a different direction to the Queen and King of clubs - unlike the other three suits in which Jack, Queen and King all face the same way.
That's better

Now I see what you are saying... dunno. Have to wait for more members to chime in.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

The playing deck you have is nothing more than a French version of Tarot. The Jack of Clubs Tarot counterpart is the Page of Wands.

Don't know if that helps. Here's a rough outline of him.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It's all really interesting stuff. I love the links, thank you all for sharing.
Hard to find a direct answer for this one.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

The playing deck you have is nothing more than a French version of Tarot. The Jack of Clubs Tarot counterpart is the Page of Wands.

Now I'm curious, with your statement has anyone heard that there is supposedly a numerology myth behind the 52 cards? I don't know, but I thought I recalled something along that line and that Astrology also had some hand played (pardon the pun) in the formation of the playing cards themselves

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wingz

Originally posted by Cuervo

Now I'm curious, with your statement has anyone heard that there is supposedly a numerology myth behind the 52 cards? I don't know, but I thought I recalled something along that line and that Astrology also had some hand played (pardon the pun) in the formation of the playing cards themselves

I actually meant that quite literally. The French tarot is the spiritual predecessor of modern playing cards. They are the ones who change the suits in the 1400s (or somewhere around then). As far as connections to numerology, your hunch is right. Numerology is littered all throughout playing cards. Look up "cartomancy" for some cool reading.

top topics

join