It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Gold Mine Given Go-Ahead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
For anyone that's interested.

Loch Lomond National Park Approves Cononish Gold Mine

Plans to develop Scotland's first commercial gold mine in Loch Lomond National Park have been approved.

Members of the park authority's board said the opportunities for new jobs and economic growth outweighed concerns about the environment.

But the board insisted Scotgold Resources, who will develop the mine at Cononish, should make sure the long-term environmental impact is minimised.

It is the firm's second attempt at securing planning permission.

The first application was rejected by the Loch Lomond National Park Authority over conservation concerns.

Scotgold Resources plans to extract more then £50m worth of gold and silver from a hillside near Tyndrum.

It has been 500 years since gold was successfully mined in Scotland, but the high price of precious metals now makes the work cost-effective.

Click For Full Story

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I had no idea Scotland had gold (as well as oil!) Are there any other likely locations being prospected that you know of ?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Man, why cant I find gold or oil in my backyard. I saw some black fluid in my uncles yard once. Turns out the septic overflowed and it was just turds.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by slidingdoor
I had no idea Scotland had gold (as well as oil!) Are there any other likely locations being prospected that you know of ?

Well when I was a kid.. in fact I think most kids in this area, even today or until recently, are taken for a daytrip to the Leadhills in Lanarkshire, but as far as we're aware there's only Quartz, Lead and non-precious stones there. But who really knows? I'm sure someone does.. I have photos of my older brothers and the old guy that lived next door, they used to pan for gold in the stream there in the early '80s. They never found much. Apart from that nope, I had no idea about this until the story came out this week.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Ramcheck because: fixed typo

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I also wonder where they found the previous gold 500 years ago -techniques have improved a lot since then !
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the wording/context and Coconish was the location then too ? Either way it's very exciting .... the referendum issue there takes on a whole different slant with such treasures at stake don't you think?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by slidingdoor
I also wonder where they found the previous gold 500 years ago -techniques have improved a lot since then !
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the wording/context and Coconish was the location then too ? Either way it's very exciting .... the referendum issue there takes on a whole different slant with such treasures at stake don't you think?

Hopefully

I can laugh now but in four years I'll be screaming it from the top of my lungs yeah. We need to keep these resources in our own hands and away from the greedy Brits.

new topics

top topics

join