It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paralyzed illegal costs taxpayers millions. REFUSES deportation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
www.chron.com...

Updated 10:29 p.m., Monday, October 24, 2011
Francisco Martinez said he does not want to return to Mexico and leave his common-law wife, Brandi Collen Valderrama, a U.S. citizen, and their 6-month-old son.

Martinez, 37, of Bacliff, broke his back Aug. 17 after falling off a ladder while working on the roof of a bait shop where he was employed.

UTMB doctors saved his life, but he is paralyzed from the chest down, can barely move his hands and needs special care.

The problem for UTMB is that Martinez is undocumented and has no hope of qualifying for workman's compensation or Medicaid. UTMB is forced to bear the expense of Martinez's care until another place can be found for him to go.

Martinez said the social worker badgered him about signing documents that would allow the hospital to purchase him a ticket for Mexico. He refused to sign.

snip

----------------------------------

Our policy should be to deport all illegals - no exceptions. Let his own country pay for his medical care.

edit on 10/25/2011 by Make Speed Limit 45 because: bad link

+44 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Get the bait shop to pay for it....as they hired an undocumented person probably in cash.

These folks knew what they were doing is illegal (working/most likely tax evasion/being in the US) and decide to start a family. Although his situation sucks, I am all for deportation. There is no reason why the legal citizens of the US should have to prop up the illegal ones.

+25 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The bait shop owner should be forced to pay for every penny of the medical costs up to this point, and NO bankruptcy protections. Maybe make him think twice before he hires illegal invaders instead of a U.S. citizen. Make the employer LOSE every penny that they thought they were going to save!!! Then, dump the cripple at the gates to Tijuana and send him home for his government to take care of him for the rest of his life.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
^ Agreed...

This is outrageous.

Sorry Americanos

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Yeah, stick it to the bait shop owner. I didn't hire an illegal immigrant, and will not knowingly accept the service of an illegal immigrant. Why is it the U.S. taxpayers problem? Perhaps, Mexico should set up a workman compensation program for it's expatriate workforce.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If the illegals in this country would expend only HALF the energy that they exert here always trying to "trick" and "milk" our system (and taxpayers), and use that effort towards something GOOD and WORTHY like going BACK to places like Mexico and IMPROVING that mess of a country, than they would have turned the whole country around already into a great place to live and work.

But they will use up all of their energy here milking and conning our system and working for low-end jobs that our recently graduated children could be working . All that hard work which, in the end, rewards them with ZERO respect, or self pride for their people or native country.

Brainless fools.
edit on 25-10-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
As taxpayers, we are paying for all sorts of medical treatment for illegals, in ways we usually don't think of.

For example, I worked for years for Texas MHMR. As an intake worker, it was my job to do the initial intake interviews with the parents and children who needed assistance due to mental retardation, autism, etc. Half the time I had to have a Spanish interpreter with me because the parents just came over the border with their handicapped child illegally and knew no English.

We were not allowed to inquire as to their immigration status or whether they were here legally or not. If they got into the building, we were required to assist them. Although much of the funding in this state for mentally handicapped individuals has been cut, let me assure you that at least 1/3 of them receiving assistance, sometimes over $50,000 per year in treatment, medication, durable medical equipment, etc., are illegals. The program is called HCS. Once the client gets through the waiting list, they are on it for life, no questions asked.

The parents willingly admit they snuck over the border from Mexico (and sometimes further south, from Central American countries) because they could not get assistance for their handicapped child in their native lands, and they knew they could hit the gravy train here in the States. They are even paid for caring for their own handicapped child.

Now there is not enough money and the waiting lists are a mile long, so natural citizens who need this assistance have to wait years for it. Perhaps if we had been allowed to winnow out the illegals, there would be plenty of money for those who desperately need it and are here legally.

I don't hate the illegals, though. People will be people, and people who are desperate will take advantage of whatever they can. I despise our government, which knowingly allows this and prevents government workers from separating legals from illegals.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

The situation is regrettable. No would should have to live paralyzed. That said:

Since when the hell is deportation an optional service? Who gives a damn if he refuses to sign a paper; thrown his ass to the boarder and let his own country take care of him. His wife and child are free to join him in mexico too.

I agree that the bait shop needs to handle the medical costs since it hired an illegal. It probably cant pay it all back in one lump sum, but Im sure a financially crippling payment plan can be arranged for the bait shop and its negligent owner. With all those illegals working for 60 cents and hour, he'll find a way to manage, Im sure.
edit on 10/25/2011 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Great post. One thing to add. At the hospital in Loveland, Colorado (McKee Medical Center), when you go into the ER, everything is in English and Spanish except for ONE thing. The ONE document NOT in Spanish is the little sign on the desk saying, "Payment is expected at time of service." Strange, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
We should charge his employer this for hiring undocumented workers.

nvm, shoulda read second post
edit on 25-10-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I was once on A grand Jury involving a similar issue. An employer that failed to pay for workers comp for his non citizen employees.
The real issue is the employer. He should have been paying WC. The attorney general should go after the employer...I am guessing they already have. I know in CA it was a jail-able offense.
I guess not many can imagine wanting to leave your crappy country and want to have a job so you don't have to live in a slum box.
I for one would hop a fence if America ever became like Mexico. Empathy, perspective and understanding goes a long way.
If they deport him chances are great that he would end up being one of those poor dudes dragging his body around the streets begging for money. Those people do exist. I lived in Sand Diego and was mortified at what lay across the border. Have some humanity.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Keep in mind, if healthcare had zero govt. involvement and everyone paid for themselves this wouldn't be an issue

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
do none of you have ANY compassion? what is the world coming to? really?

how would ANY of you like to be wrenched away from a new life with your loved one and 6 month old baby? forced to 'go back to your own country' despite making a family with a us resident?

dear christ, not a single one of you mentioned that.

empathy anybody?

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

How about some empathy for those of us who cannot afford health insurance being forced to subsidize illegals like this? Send his a** home.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The horror! Oh Noooooo!!!!!!! Yeah, like a rapist getting torn from his family, or a murderer being tossed into prison for life. Bleh! Get a life. This isn't about compassion, it's about the LAW! This guy made a conscious CHOICE to BREAK THE LAW and come here.

If someone rapes and murders a child, should they be given compassion just because they have a family? If someone comes into your home and steals your possessions, is this forgiven because he went and got married the next day? In my view, NO!

So, spare me the bleeding heart rhetoric.
edit on 25-10-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: Spelling fix....

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

How about some empathy for those of us who cannot afford health insurance being forced to subsidize illegals like this? Send his a** home.

i have empathy for you too, if i lived in the usa i wouldn't be able to afford it either. that doesn't make it right.... you SHOULD have free healthcare, everybody should as far as i'm concerned.

but why should he be taken from his family and relocated? if you moved to australia, fell in love and then had a child but also a devastating accident while supporting your family, would you want to be deported unceremoniously like that? i think not.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

The horror! Oh Noooooo!!!!!!! Yeah, like a rapist getting torn from his family, or a murder being tossed into prison for life. Bleh! Get a life. This isn't about compassion, it's about the LAW! This guy made a conscious CHOICE to BREAK THE LAW and come here.

If someone rapes and murders a child, should they be given compassion just because they have a family? If someone comes into your home and steals your possessions, is this forgiven because he went and got married the next day? In my view, NO!

So, spare me the bleeding heart rhetoric.

the LAW is, and predominantly has been, an a**, as we all know.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

If I broke the law in Australia then I BROKE THE LAW IN AUSTRALIA, so I should face the consequences. Geez. My wife is British and got her citizenship in August. It would have been horrible if she would have broken a law and got deported. But, guess what.... SHE DIDN'T BREAK THE LAW!!!!! It's really quite simple. Let me dumb it down for you.

Break the law and come here illegally = Deported
Follow the law and come here legally = Welcome

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
the LAW is, and predominantly has been, an a**, as we all know.

So, it's okay to steal in your world? It's okay to rape, murder, hurt children? The U.S. is a nation of laws, not a nation of men. Don't like it, don't come here. Your choice.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

If I broke the law in Australia then I BROKE THE LAW IN AUSTRALIA, so I should face the consequences. Geez. My wife is British and got her citizenship in August. It would have been horrible if she would have broken a law and got deported. But, guess what.... SHE DIDN'T BREAK THE LAW!!!!! It's really quite simple. Let me dumb it down for you.

Break the law and come here illegally = Deported
Follow the law and come here legally = Welcome

as you as patronising to everybody?

we all know that there are plenty of laws that really make no sense. people are criminalised for victimless crimes. you are still talking about a human being with feelings, who has a new child and partner.

let me dumb it down for you.

human being = empathy
granite = no empathy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join