It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Invading Your Privacy For Drinking At The Pub

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Cops secretly filming you have a quiet drink with your mates at the local pub.

Cops will invade you right to privacy & there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

The perverts probably follow you to the toilet to get there jollies too.

When asked to comment on film they decline, but you can't decline being filmed by these perverted pigs.

au.news.yahoo.com...
News video at source page.

The plan is to identify potential trouble makers before they hit the streets, but is it an outrageous breach of privacy?

Publicans are outraged and want the practice stopped.

Next time you are enjoying your favourite frothy, be warned - you could be sharing it with an undercover cop, wired with the latest hidden camera technology, and recording the moment they deem you're too drunk for another drink.

In Victoria, it's a tactic being deployed by the Razon Taskforce - a division of the police that controls liquor licences.

They use the secret surveillance to prosecute pub owners for serving alcohol to patrons deemed to be drunk. And if one force is doing it, you can be assured others around the country are soon to follow.

“They are trying to make a safe place for everybody, and I'm happy with that too - you know I don't want drunks in the bar, but it's very difficult to monitor,” pub owner Michael Giacomi said.

Giacomi knows how hard it can be to determine exactly when someone has had too much to drink.

“In the bar someone can be beyond .05 and still behave responsibility - not fall over, not trip, not slur - but can’t drive a vehicle. So we are not in a position to take accurate readings like that, we just have to monitor people's behaviour and sometimes that's a tough call,” he added.

Brian Kearney from the Hotels Association says it's further proof that we are becoming trapped in a ‘nanny state’ with no one required to take responsibility for their own actions.

“There's far more value in a cooperative approach that involves both the police and customers and the licensee working together to address problems of concern, rather than undercover, heavy handed, surreptitious interventions by police,” Kearney said.

Civil Libertarian Professor Spencer Zifcak claims the police are more than playing dirty.

“It is a really significant invasion of people's privacy,” Professor Zifcak said.

He thinks that they're using tactics usually reserved for undercover stings on serious offenders - and that's an invasion of privacy.

“I can entirely understand that if police are investigating serious criminal offences they may want to use technology like this, but not in restaurants, pubs, clubs and so on. People don’t expect that, and they ought not to have to put up with it,” he said.

Professor Zifcak is now calling for the laws around the use of hidden surveillance cameras to be tightened.

“People should be able to go for a drink in the pub and not think that they're being secretly videoed on camera for purposes about which they know nothing.”

When contacted for a response, Victoria Police exercised their rights and choose not to appear on camera - a choice now out of your hands when it comes to them videoing you at the local pub.

“It is not producing many results in terms of interventions that are resulting in successful prosecutions. More often than not it is just interrupting the proper management of the venue on the night,” Giacomi said.

“The better the technology becomes, the more likely it is that privacy invasions will occur, and that’s why we have to reform the law to keep up,” Professor Zifcak concluded.

They wonder why so many despise them.

edit on 25-10-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
ah just drop ya dacks and chuck a brown eye ... The Aussie Way lol
I drink at home any ways now as its to damn expensive

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Fight fire with fire.

When you see them filming you, grab your camera and start filming them at the same time.
Then we can have a bunch of videos of people filming other people filming people.

Done correctly, the people can make a mockery of the police.
edit on 25-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
We have had narcs for quite sometime, they use young officers to come in and bust the bar if they serve anyone underage.

My state is more strict, .02 is driving under the influence. That is basically one drink.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
most bars and pubs have CCTV now, so you're most likely being filmed anyway.
aslong as you're not starting fights or driving home, why would you care if your being filmed?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
why would you care if your being filmed?

Would principle alone suffice as reason not to be filmed?

I do not see it any different than telling someone else not to touch them. It is the preference of the individual.

There is a difference between the establishments security cctv system and cops out on the street filming.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

aslong as you're not starting fights or driving home, why would you care if your being filmed?

when you are at home, in bed, or on the toilet.. or inspecting your own arse.. you aren't doing anything wrong, so what's wrong with the cops watching you on camera there as well?

You have a right to your own privacy.
You are not guilty until proven so.
you should not be watched like a guilty suspect for no reason.
wake up!
I cannot believe some people just don't see how dangerous and wrong this is.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Fight fire with fire.

When you see them filming you, grab your camera and start filming them at the same time.
Then we can have a bunch of videos of people filming other people filming people.

Done correctly, the people can make a mockery of the police.
That's just the point, they film you with hidden camera on themselves, like in a sting operation.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68

when you are at home, in bed, or on the toilet.. or inspecting your own arse.. you aren't doing anything wrong, so what's wrong with the cops watching you on camera there as well?

You have a right to your own privacy.
You are not guilty until proven so.
you should not be watched like a guilty suspect for no reason.
wake up!
I cannot believe some people just don't see how dangerous and wrong this is.

Soon your arse print will be on police records too.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The question I immediately wanted to ask when I read the OP was; Do these undercover officers buy drinks for the customers they're filming?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Nearly every pub I know has cameras up and running all the time. So why are the police bothering because its just duplication. Unless they are also taking note of your mannerisms, listening in to your conversation etc.

Does any one think we are giving up too much privacy for the nanny nosing that the cops seem to delight in. Its a legalized perving in one way.

Personally I'd prefer it if they did some proper work and the job we ultimately pay them to do. How about catching burglars? Here they fiddle the statistics to play down burglary and other crimes. When I was burgled, it took them 6 hours and 3 irritated phone calls from me to appear. They popped their heads in through my smashed french windows and then tried to take off. Being a disabled pensioner I was not enthralled because they couldn't be bothered to even take any dna to try to trace the culprit. I'm at a loss, when every opportunity to grab our dna is taken but when they get the opportunity to actually use it, not on the agenda. You would have thought I had asked them to fly to the moon. They looked gobsmacked - "We don't do that Madam" and they flew off to my shouts of "Why the hell do you really take dna then?" But of course, I should have realised, they just love a friendly trip to the pub spying on every and any one. Fancy getting paid for that eh!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I thought the same thing, its called entrapment.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
its gonna be misused and abused to the limit only humans can ,
trust me ,..

but that aside 99.99 % of venue goers go by own consent knowing the risk it involves ,

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

its gonna be misused and abused to the limit only humans can ,
trust me ,.

Close but should have said

its gonna be misused and abused to the limit only cops can & will

Trust me

edit on 25-10-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

We have this thing in our legal system called the presumption of innocence. It's a bit tricky but -- in theory at least -- it means that we never have to answer to the ridiculous notion that only people with something to hide desire privacy from professional spooks, snoops, and politicians.

It's called the 4th amendment, and -- as they go -- it's one of the "important" ones.

You can read about it more in books published in the 18th century.
edit on 25-10-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

top topics

join