It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gecko Saves His Friend From Snake

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
those geckos can also save human life. here's a neat trick: if you get an asthma attack and your inhaler is nowhere in sight but a gecko is, grab it and put it in your mouth head first. pinch the tail off the gecko entirely, this will make it run down your windpipe turbocharged clearing your asthma. since your airway is narrow during an attack the mucas and saliva blocks it off completely, the rough skin on the gecko grab a hold of these and drag it down as it run for its life. it will not get stuck because these buggers have four wheel drive.

not these tokay bad boys though, your average bite size gecko preferably.
edit on 26-10-2011 by DOADOA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Beautiful vids,

Thanks posters.

It is nice to have a smile.

It just shows up even more how horrible people are to their own species.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
That poor gecko, hope he didn't get eaten up!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
gekco
15 seconds can make u save ur friend and more

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

I was.

But then i thought this must be fairly common wherever they are in the world (South America is my guess), and kinda put it down to nature / the natural way of things.

I would have intervened though, i couldn't stand by and watch the lizard get the life squeezed out of it, even if it is natural.

That is not South America, they are not speaking Spanish, nor Portuguese, nor any dialect from south America. IMO that is from somewhere in Asia.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

Not sure why I always have to be so cynical....but to me it appears as if the first gecko was probably trying to eat the snake. Tokay Geckos are pretty vicious...they will eat other reptiles including snakes (such as in this LINK ) so I imagine that he was trying to eat a snake that was just a bit larger and tougher than he bargained for....the second gecko probably was trying to eat the snake too, rather than helping his friend.

Sorry...I know that sounds pretty negative, but I'm just trying to be realistic. While I have no trouble believing that animals can have human level emotions...even some of the more intelligent non-mammals such as birds....I just don't think that reptiles are a likely candidate for such behavior...their brains are too simple to comprehend an altruistic action like this.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

slow news day today obviously....

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Just heard 25 snakes on the loose in Bridlington East Yorks...a break in goes wrong.Non venomous i hope lol..Love this thread nice lil bit of news..

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
cool thanks

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
What a great clip..one species taking care of the other at the risk of its own life...something that in my opinion is lacking amongst the human species.

We have much to learn from the amazing creatures on our planet, and if we all followed their example, and learnt from them instead of seeing them as below us and destroying them, Earth and Humanity would be healthier and far more advanced then we are now.

We all hear of storiesof crowds watching a homeless person being bashed, or cops doing something, or hit and runs killing someone, or know someone who saw something but cant tell...it goes on and on but we keep secreats and stand by and watch human pain and do nothing !

Watch how easy it could be to HELP someone in need and how helping 3 people each could change the world !

Pay it forward is not a new theory...but it makes a damn lot of sense.

Please watch !
www.youtube.com...

We could all help our brothers and sisters just like the geko...if we wanted to and really cared enough.

We could change the world......Ha ha ...lets all be Like a Geko ..make a Geko dance or something for that brave little lizard !!

That works for me !

edit on 26-10-2011 by Metropolis1927 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
What amazes me is that the gecko being strangled by the snake manages to hang onto the wall as it all happens, that was amazing!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Good video, thanks for sharing it.

I always have this discussion with people, the discussion about how we are supposed to have some kind of instinctive bond to each and every human on this planet. Not sure if that is 100% true as of now but it is one of my beliefs. I can't tell you how sick I get when someone feels completely sympathetic about an animal's death, but then they will hear a story about mass murder caused by a gunman or an explosion, and they won't even blink at it.

Prime example: The other day I was talking with my classmate after our lecture had finished, the hot topic of the day was the man who set all his animals free and then killed himself. Well I was talking to her about it and she was furious that they had to kill almost all the animals. She just could not believe law enforcement would do that instead of attempt to tranquilize the animals. I explained to her that the tranquilizers don't always work like they do in the movies, a large animal could walk around killing people with a tranquilize dart in their butt for a good few minutes, maybe even longer. I told her it was the only option that could guarantee human safety, if it meant killing a thousand animals just to save 10 human lives, it would be worth it. They are our brothers and sisters... I just couldn't see what wasn't clicking with her. Well she apparently would've rather had all the animals tranquilized, "so what if a few humans die... humans are ***holes"

Have we been conditioned to think of each other like that? Have years upon years of television and fake media stories pushed us to this point? I think so. I mean people want to kill each other because they live on opposite sides of a line in the sand. People want to kill each other because they believe in different religions, because their skin color is different. I would do anything in my power to save a human life (unless they were trying to cause harm to myself or others of course.). I don't care if their religious beliefs differ from mine, or if they live in Iraq, Iran or Syria. I don't care if they are greedy and rich or lazy and poor, I don't care if they are gay or straight, I don't care about any of these stupid details because they are what I am. We all share something together, we all belong to this family. I always thought the preservation of one's own species was "hot wired" into our brains, but as I look around I can tell either we have been desensitized from that instinct, or it was never there.

Thoughts?
edit on 26-10-2011 by Perplexity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

Great thread! Thanks for sharing... Nature is beautiful and we can definitely learn a lot from other species on this planet of ours! If we all looked out for eachother half of the problems that exist now wouldn't.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the gecko is trying to eat the snake and his "friend" is actually trying to get a free meal. Honestly, you think that snake just happened to get up on the wall and in the gecko's mouth by accident?

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
South Carolina has the Carolina Anoles, and the small Blue skinks, and the big ugly Brown skinks and the Salamanders. When we first moved here eight years ago I was digging a hole and a salamander poped out and my five year old son said mommy don't kill it, its endangered and illegal. I let it go. The grass herein this state is crawling with reptiles snakes and alligators. I still shriek when I see any of them, being orginally from up North. My neighbors and husband always wait for a second shriek before getting worried... I stepped on a snake outside my front porch once....

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Gecko's are some emotional creatures:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 26-10-2011 by blackreign2012 because: modify

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkredfish
Was I the only one thinking that the people in the background should... Oh, I don't know... INTERVENE??

Absolutely! My thoughts exactly!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
I wanted a good outcome for the gecko too...but then again, the poor snake went hungry. he has to eat too

My thoughts exactly. Human esthethic values color so many of our thoughts. Poor Lizard, bad snake. Really? what about the fly the lizard eats? well thats ok because its "ugly".

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by chayilishah

Originally posted by darkredfish
Was I the only one thinking that the people in the background should... Oh, I don't know... INTERVENE??

Absolutely! My thoughts exactly!

It's nature. Why should humans intervene in something that has been occurring for hundreds of millions of years? Survival of the fittest, friend.

As far as location: I lol'd when someone asked where in the world this can happen. Much of Asia and South America is simply forest without human habitation. Those who live on the outskirts of these will find all sorts of animals right in their yard. In Borneo, you'll find what amounts to stucco houses on the edge of a jungle. Running into snakes, monkeys, geckos and the like right on your porch isn't so uncommon. Took a trip to Malaysia with the girlfriend and her family to visit the extended family. Two months in paradise, sirs.

It also sounds like Cantonese. Girlfriend being Malaysian, I've developed a LITTLE bit of a recognition and picked up some of it. I'm by no means fluent, though, and could certainly be wrong.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I'd be more willing to think it's a natural mechanism to fight against something than it is to save something. Perhaps it was its mate. Either way, love and compassion tend to not be present in much anything beyond elephants, dolphins, apes, and men. The act of saving is not always love and compassion, Indeed, it's merely the evolutionary precept to the concept.

Sorry to make it lame and all, but that's just the way nature is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join