It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Wireless connection doesn't have valid ip configuration" Win 7

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This has been driving me nuts for weeks and can't really figure out how to fix it.

Usually around once an hour my computer will disconnect from the web, with the little exclamation mark on the signal bar telling me no connectivity to the internet.

All I have to do is disconnect and reconnect and after about a minute everything works again till the next time.

When I hit repair, it says fixed and says the problem was (what I put in the title).

My laptop works fine at friends houses and I have no problems, only when I'm home.

That would make me think its a router issue, but I have other computers (running linux) that never get disconnected.

Anyone have this problem with win 7?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I've noticed wireless cards can be wonky. If all your Linux boxes aren't having any wireless connectivity issues, and it's just your win 7 box, I'd recommend going to the wireless card manufacturer site and getting the latest driver update, or, if you already have the latest driver, try using an older driver.

If that doesn't work, then you probably have annoying relationship issues between that router and that nic when it comes to dhcp.

Try reconfig router to have longer lease times on dhcp.
Also, depending on the age of the router, your win 7 box might be a little too happy about wanting to have an ip v6 address, when the router only talks ip v4. you can turn off ip v6 in your network properties for that nic to see if that helps.

edit on 25-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I've had it happen a few times,usually I just reset my router and it works fine. And I have windows 7. I'm sure you've done that so sorry I couldn't be of more help.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have not expierenced this specific issue, but you could try doing a hard reset of your router.

WARNING: THE BELOW RESET METHOD WILL WIPE ALL CONFIGURATION SETTINGS FORM THE ROUTER AND RESET IT TO FACTORY SETTINGS.
(If needed write down any configurations you want too duplicate after the reset.)

The reset must be done with the power off:

Most routers have a reset button some where on the back (a small hole labeled "reset"), by using a unfolded paper clip or other similar item to push and hold the button (recommend holding it down for about 15 secs) it will do a complete reset on the router. This method is also handy if you have forgotten the password to access your router as it will reset the password as well.

Another option would be to check the routers firm ware version, it may be out of date. If it is follow the manufactures directions for updating. Another warning here if you do not follow the directions for updating the firmware"to the letter" it could render your router useless. I would need to now the make and model to help out more with this option.
edit on 25-10-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
i have the same problem....we are using AT&T Uverse router. The strange thing is that it seems to happen at similar times each day.

My computer works fine 95% of the time, but at certain times the speed drops from 54 mbps to 24 to 18 to 12 to 2 to 1 then off........up and down and off for a while. eventually comes back and is fine

what router are you using?

lately this happens between 3 and 4 am est

used to happen at midnight

sometimes in the afternoon as well??

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
What this means is that, when your DHCP lease runs out, your PC is having trouble creating a new IP address.
Probably the best way to go is to specify a specific address, rather than leave Win7 to try to figure it out for itself. You can do this in the connection properties. You'll have to enter in an IP address, a gateway, and a few other details.

Your IP address will have to be in the correct range. For example, if your router is located at 192.168.2.1 (this is a common address for a router), your computer will need to be at 192.168.2.2 or higher.

Your gateway will then be 192.168.2.1

and your DNS server can either be set to 192.168.2.1 or you can leave it as automatic.

That should solve the problem. Hope that helps - if you need more info you can PM me.

top topics

join