It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full size of the Moai Statues! (Easter Island)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+137 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
My friend sent me this on facebook and it blew my mind.
Has anyone else seen this picture to prove if it is real? If it is.. i dont see how they do not just tear the whole area apart!
There could be much more then meets the eye there!

This also makes me wonder how anything like this could be created and moved. The large mass of dirt caked around them must mean thousands on thousands of years have gone by since they actually were built.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

www.eisp.org... Easter island statue project

also has a lot of pictures too

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Oh sweet thanks

ive never seen that website before!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
yes it is real and the pic is completely legit.. awesome size arent they? i am glad to see this here thank you

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Great find very impressive.I have always wondered how deep they had sunken .Never imagined only a small part had not sunk

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

All I can say is, that is AWESOME. Always sorta wondered how deep they sat in the ground, but that is incredible how much is buried.

Why buried so deep? Like you said, lets dig it all up!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

I don't know too much about Easter Island aside from the pedestrian stuff. I have never see these excavation images either. I dropped your image in GoogleImages and you might want to try that as well. It returns a lot of great images. But yours is the only one that shows excavation to this extant...

Based on the gentlemen in the powder blue leisure suit I would say that this must be sometime in the 70s or early 80s or the dude is just seriously fashion challenged. It would be awesome just to have the background information on just these images. I am coming up short at the moment but the pic I posted is apparently from a post card. Yours may be as well.

Thanks for the post. It is really cool to see them at their full length with their folded hands.

edit on 22-10-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Thanks for the tip on confirmation. I was skeptical and needed to verify before a S&F.

It has my mind spinning. After looking at that pic I have a feeling that they might have been--in partial--some kind of psychological "protection."

Great stuff.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

and people say there were not giants in the old days...Just another proof providing credibility to the giants recorded in the HOLY bible. Thanks OP, S&F!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
There is also the 'Hat' thing that came up recently. I was not aware of this either, until a friend pointed me to the articles...

At 2,500 miles off the coast of Chile, the island is one of the world's most remote places inhabited by people.
Up to 1,000 years ago, the islanders started putting giant red hats on the statues.

The research team, from the University of Manchester and University College London, think the hats were rolled down from an ancient volcano.

Dr Colin Richards and Dr Sue Hamilton are the first British archaeologists to work on the island since 1914.
They pieced together a series of clues to discover how the statues got their red hats. An adze, a road, and an ancient volcano led to their findings.

Dr Richards said: "We know the hats were rolled along the road made from a cement of compressed red scoria dust."

Each hat, weighing several tonnes, was carved from volcanic rock. They were placed on the heads of the famous statues all around the coast of the island.

However, precisely how and why the hats were attached is unknown.

Read More: news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Thanks for posting more info about the statues Frater

i knew about the hats but i had no idea they were put on after the fact. how did they do that 1000 years ago!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
S&F nice catch .

Didn't happen to read if they were planning on uncovering all of them to document the glyphs each one has . Whether they are similar or each one is different .

Some of the work dating back to 2009 here . www.orkney.uhi.ac.uk...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Amazing, I had no clue they were that big. I knew they sank but assumed it was no more than a few feet at most. Maybe they really are a lot older than we realize. Is it possible that the island could have been submerged at one point after their creation softening the soil and that caused them to sink so much?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

Doubtful, they were being built up to the point that the European sailors visited.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern
Amazing, I had no clue they were that big. I knew they sank but assumed it was no more than a few feet at most. Maybe they really are a lot older than we realize. Is it possible that the island could have been submerged at one point after their creation softening the soil and that caused them to sink so much?

I would say the more parsimonious explanation is that they are much older , like hundreds of thousands of years older and the land built up around them . But of course we can't have that explanation because then it would ruin Darwin's bogus theory of evolution

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think they should send some divers or submarines to easter Island and examine undersea for about 200 meters.

I think this all dates from the period when the sea-level was a few hundred meters lower.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

S & F

I've seen a full sized copy of that statue in a museum a few years back [I forget which and where] It's huge. Its interesting to note the depth that it was buried. Also, this is why some believe and suspect that some of the larger statues are very old. Most of the ones people/visitors see on the island are all newer and smaller.

edit on 22-10-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
That massive thing gives me goosebumps.

It is beautiful, I wanna know how on earth the ancients made those stone statues all over that island.
Has anyone seen how isolated it is on the map?
Unbelievable.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Amazing, I always presumed they were just the size they were - seeing that really took me by surprise, and it takes a lot to surprise me nowadays

Great find, i'll certainly be following the project to see what else they uncover

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
So I guess they need to remake all those solid bronze novelty Easter Island statues that are only made from the neck up.

I agree that the level to which they are buried must have taken 1000s of years, so many thing were built so well and extremely large 1000s of years ago.... what are we doing wrong in the 21 century that we can't make a car run more than 25-30 years tops? Or a modern house that lasts more that 200 years without decaying?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join