It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 11 Preparation Meditations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The 11 Preparation Meditations

When the Buddha's son, Rahula, asked to be taught meditation on the breath, the Buddha gave him 11 meditations to practice in preparation. Most teachers of meditation skip all of this and only teach meditation of the breath. It is no wonder why so many novice practitioners have trouble sustaining meditation on the breath and quit, since these preparation meditations act as a foundation for it. Meditation is not some gimmicky, cool, fade to just play around with in order to have strange experiences, it is not a form of entertainment or psychedelic drug, it is a very powerful tool that can transform our lives permanently, but we must prepare our minds for it first. Beyond these 11 preparatory meditations we must conform our lives to a noble and purifying standard of living for true transformation to take place. I recommend all of you who decide to meditate take the first 5 precepts of refraining from: killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, incorrect speech and using intoxicants.

Here are the 11 preparation meditations:

The Five Properties

1. Earth - Here we examine both internal and external earth properties. Both internal and external earth properties are simply earth properties. Seeing this with right discernment, for what it really is, we learn the body and its solidness; bones, skin, organs, teeth, hair..., and earth and its solidness, are the same. The internal is made of the external. Thus, it should be seen as, 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.' When this is so, one becomes disenchanted with the earth property and makes the earth property fade from the mind.

"Develop the meditation in tune with earth. For when you are developing the meditation in tune with earth, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind. Just as when people throw what is clean or unclean on the earth — feces, urine, saliva, pus, or blood — the earth is not horrified, humiliated, or disgusted by it; in the same way, when you are developing the meditation in tune with earth, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind." - Buddha

2. Water - Here we examine both internal and external water properties. Both internal and external water properties are simply water properties. Seeing this with right discernment, for what it really is, we learn that all watery, water based, water-like, substances of the internal; blood, sweat, urine, pus, oil..., and watery, water based, water-like, substances of the external, are the same. The internal is made of the external. Thus, it should be seen as, 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.' When this is so, one becomes disenchanted with the water property and makes the water property fade from the mind.

"Develop the meditation in tune with water. For when you are developing the meditation in tune with water, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind. Just as when people wash what is clean or unclean in water — feces, urine, saliva, pus, or blood — the water is not horrified, humiliated, or disgusted by it; in the same way, when you are developing the meditation in tune with water, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind." - Buddha

3. Fire - Here we examine both internal and external fire properties. Both internal and external fire properties are simply fire properties. Seeing this with right discernment, for what it really is, we learn that all fiery, fire-like, substances of the internal; warmth of the body, digestive system..., and fiery, fire-like, substances of the external, are the same. The internal is made of the external. Thus, it should be seen as, 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.' When this is so, one becomes disenchanted with the fire property and makes the fire property fade from the mind.

"Develop the meditation in tune with fire. For when you are developing the meditation in tune with fire, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind. Just as when fire burns what is clean or unclean — feces, urine, saliva, pus, or blood — it is not horrified, humiliated, or disgusted by it; in the same way, when you are developing the meditation in tune with fire, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind." - Buddha

4. Wind - Here we examine both internal and external wind properties. Both internal and external wind properties are simply wind properties. Seeing this with right discernment, for what it really is, we learn that all windy, wind-like, of the internal; in & out breath, gas, stomach bubbles..., and windy, wind-like, of the external, are the same. The internal is made of the external. Thus, it should be seen as, 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.' When this is so, one becomes disenchanted with the wind property and makes the wind property fade from the mind.

"Develop the meditation in tune with wind. For when you are developing the meditation in tune with wind, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind. Just as when wind blows what is clean or unclean — feces, urine, saliva, pus, or blood — it is not horrified, humiliated, or disgusted by it; in the same way, when you are developing the meditation in tune with wind, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind." - Buddha

5. Space - Here we examine both internal and external space properties. Both internal and external space properties are simply space properties. Seeing this with right discernment, for what it really is, we learn that space of the internal; of the ears, mouth, nose, stomach..., and space of the external, are the same. Thus, it should be seen as, 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self.' When this is so, one becomes disenchanted with the space property and makes the space property fade from the mind.

"Develop the meditation in tune with space. For when you are developing the meditation in tune with space, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind. Just as space is not established anywhere, in the same way, when you are developing the meditation in tune with space, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind." - Buddha

Continued next post...

edit on 21-10-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The Four Immeasurables

6. Goodwill - Here we develop meditation on goodwill for others. This meditation is also commonly known as, metta, or loving-kindness. When others are struggling in life, this meditation helps us increase feelings of goodwill towards them. By developing this meditation, ill-will and hatred will be abandoned.

7. Compassion - Here we develop meditation on compassion for others. When others are less fortunate than us in life, this meditation helps us increase feelings of compassion for them. By developing this meditation, cruelty and apathy will be abandoned.

8. Sympathetic Joy - Here we develop meditation on sympathetic joy for others. When others are succeeding in wholesome activities, in reducing suffering for themselves or others, this meditation helps us increase feelings of sympathetic joy for them. By developing this meditation, resentment, envy and jealousy will be abandoned.

9. Equanimity - Here we develop meditation on equanimity. By developing meditation on equanimity, irritation and biasness will be abandoned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cessation of Fiery Desire

10. Unattractiveness - Here we develop meditation on the unattractiveness of the body so to counter the desire of lust. This is one of the strongest defilement’s of the mind and can quickly spiral out of control like a forest fire if it is not addressed aggressively and quickly. By imagining the body turned inside out, by focusing on the most unclean aspects of the body, by reminding ourselves that the body we are focusing on will one day be an old, rotting, smelly corpse, lust and sexual passion will be abandoned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Inconstancy of I Am

11. I am – Not - Here we develop meditation on the inconstancy and impermanence of all phenomena, internal and external. Thoughts come and go, the mind is constantly changing, the body grows and deteriorates. Everything we can sense or think of is in a constant process of movement, changing, rising and falling, coming and going. There is nothing we can hold on to and claim permanent identity with. By developing this meditation, the conceit “I am” will be abandoned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Practice these 11 meditations diligently, with courage, interest and sincerity. Ponder upon them in your daily life. Once you thoroughly understand these things, truly, deeply, then you are ready to move on to the meditation on the breath. Instructions for that, and the instructions for these 11 meditations, are giving by the Buddha in the Maha-Rahulovada Sutta. Good luck and may peace be upon all of you.

Peace.

edit on 21-10-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Thanks for posting! I've been looking for something like this!
Haven't read it all but will later today.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jewells

Sure. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
First and foremost, commendable post....but I have a question..

In ''The Four Immeasurables '' under compassion, the last sentence ends with ''cruelty and apathy will be abandoned.'' . I understand about cruelty but why abandon apathy?

Is it simply about non attachment?

Thanks

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Beyond Creation

Good question. Abandoning apathy does not mean one must become attached though. Apathy is indifference, or the suppression of concern. Indifference is not the correct method of releasing attachment, and surely suppression of concern isn't either. With indifference, we say we don't care about something and then look the other way, but this is not the correct way of dealing with things. We must look at all things deeply and see them as they truly are, only in this way will we understand why letting go of attachment to them is the proper path, effectively extinguishing our attachment to them for good. In order to do this, we must take great interest in them, thus concern, thus compassion.

So it is not correct to label the Buddhist's desire to let go of attachment as apathy, for a strong amount of compassion is what led them to understand why letting go was the correct action (inaction). Also developing compassion is an important tool for liberation because it establishes positive kamma and builds merit, which ultimately helps in extinguishing the defilement's that distract and pollute our mind.

Hope that helps some.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I must apologise. I mistook apathy as empathy. Rather embarrassing but sometimes the brain can be somewhat unreliable.

Now that I have corrected myself, the question has lost its intended meaning, however, it was met with a sound answer so well done.

Please don't be offended by this next section but I would like to question your take on karma and attachment.

First of all, I'm all for non-attachment but karma does not sit well with I. When one takes positive action or offers a helpful gesture ie ''positive karma'' with the awareness of the karmic law/principle in mind, is the understanding or expectancy of a positive 'reward' not attachment?; and if I'm honest, actually rather selfish in a spiritual way?

I understand the meaning of living through God's will, rather than the self/ego. That acting in a positive way will be beneficial to all life yada yada, but karma seems to make it personal, whereas God is impersonal.

Karma seems like a trick to I. That if not understood for what it is, can lead to a false sense of empowerment, arrogance and can promote selfishness, all under the guise of positivity.

One should act with kindness, compassion, love and honour, not because karma will kick ones ass if one does not, but because that's what is (or should be) in ones heart. If one is trying to satisfy something because of the threat of karma, then one should satisfy ones heart over the ego.

I call BS on karma, not because of apathy but because is just doesn't feel right to be punished or rewarded by a law which is subjective and when did any law make anyone feel good?

The worse part for me is the idea of spending ones whole life as punishment for responsibilities in another lifetime, of which, nothing is even remembered.

Karma is a trick to try to offer a spiritual answer to reincarnation, which is a sneaky way of abusing souls repeatedly without the victims not only being aware, but falsely believing that it is a necessary part of their spiritual evolution. Karma is based upon deception and fear.

Be good for goodness sake.

I'm not here to influence the way that anyone acts, simply to put across my feeling towards karma but I would like to read the OP's response to this particular post.

Much love

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

No problem, those words sound and look very similar.

First of all, I'm all for non-attachment but karma does not sit well with I. When one takes positive action or offers a helpful gesture ie ''positive karma'' with the awareness of the karmic law/principle in mind, is the understanding or expectancy of a positive 'reward' not attachment?; and if I'm honest, actually rather selfish in a spiritual way?

Yes, that would be very selfish, I agree. Thankfully, kamma (karma) is not some mystical power that we seek to please so it grants us our wishes. Kamma is within us, and we can see the reality of it happening right now.

First, we must understand that the mind leads all thoughts, feelings, perceptions, ideas... and from this, actions. Second, we must understand that our un-liberated mind is like a steel link chain, each link represents a moment, and each moment there is a thought, feeling, perception, idea... These individual links (moments) are linked together due to our ignorance of reality as it truly is, and this creates a chain (that we identify as our personality/self/mind). Third, we must understand that positive thoughts (ones that leads to insight and correct views) induce more positive thoughts. And negative thoughts (ones that lead to defilement, incorrect views, and further ignorance/bondage) induce more negative thoughts.

So, from this we can see that a negative action will promote negative thoughts (ones that lead to defilement and incorrect views, and further ignorance/bondage), which will lead to further negative actions. And the same goes for positive actions and thoughts. This is the law of kamma (cause and effect). The cause is the thought and the effect is the action. Or the cause is the action and the effect is the thought. It's the chicken and the egg, but either way it doesn't matter which comes first, the thought or the action, because we can see the reciprocal nature of such a process. It is a circle of one leading into another. So, if we strive to put forth positive actions than we can expect positive thoughts to arise from that. And vice versa.

Now, the more positive kamma we produce the more we break apart the steel link chain that is held together by negative kamma (defilement's/ignorance). Once the chain is completely broken apart (the defilement's are completely extinguished) then we can let go of this whole idea of producing positive kamma, as that will be our natural state. Until then though, defilement's are giving rise to more defilement's, creating more links in the chain, and thus we must strive to counter that with positive kamma.

This is not a belief system to denounce as false. If you want to denounce it, then you are effectively saying you want to denounce reality as false. Forget all about the fantasy stories or new age ideas of coming back as a frog or something, lol, just look for yourself and see if negative thoughts give rise to more negative actions, and if negative actions give rise to more negative thoughts.

"You will not be punished for your anger, but by your anger." - Buddha

Peace.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

edit on 22-10-2011 by Beyond Creation because: Ah ohh...double post..my bad!

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Thanks for your response.

''So, from this we can see that a negative action will promote negative thoughts (ones that lead to defilement and incorrect views, and further ignorance/bondage), which will lead to further negative actions. And the same goes for positive actions and thoughts. This is the law of kamma (cause and effect). ''

Let me ask, does this law have definitions of positive and negative actions? Assuming the answer is no, the definition must be made by the self. One man's positive action is another man's negative. What I may have decided to be a negative thought or action could be considered positive by another. Neither is more true but both are subjective.

I appreciate that your definition of karma (kamma) makes more sense and is less stereotypical than the way in which suggested by myself, however, it still doesn't feel true or pure enough to be taken as a solid paradigm.

I feel although we may share a lot of values, we have quite different fundamental beliefs, which perhaps can be discussed at a later opportunity.

''Now, the more positive kamma we produce the more we break apart the steel link chain that is held together by negative kamma (defilement's/ignorance). Once the chain is completely broken apart (the defilement's are completely extinguished) then we can let go of this whole idea of producing positive kamma, as that will be our natural state. Until then though, defilement's are giving rise to more defilement's, creating more links in the chain, and thus we must strive to counter that with positive kamma.''

''This is not a belief system to denounce as false. If you want to denounce it, then you are effectively saying you want to denounce reality as false.''

I placed these together as I feel they make a point. Can ''our natural state'' be obtained in this level of existence?
Is it natural to be met with dualism, conflict and struggle throughout our life(s)? I don't think this is where we belong, some of us anyway. ''This is not a belief system to denounce as false'' , with all due respect, it is up to the individual to follow ones beliefs, to say it is not would undermine belief itself.

Do I want to denounce reality as false? Well, I'd have a considerably more challenging task to prove it as true.

We all have different beliefs and it's not for I to say which is more true, but one thing I can say for sure is that we are not given all the pieces of puzzle, despite how good one is at playing the game, there will always be a piece missing.

''Kamma is within us, and we can see the reality of it happening right now. ''

Quite! You had positive intentions in posting this thread about meditation and preperation, and after digesting it, I feel the positivity within me and maybe I have passed it onto others today. Life is energy, that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Hey, I thought about it more and concluded that it would be more suitable to use the words wholesome/unwholesome instead of positive/negative.

That aside, forget about what is true for others. Forget about subjective and objective. In fact, forget about others all together. Your mind has created reality, this is a fact. If you did not have a mind to perceive and think about the world around you then you could not say that world, or anyone in it, existed. So stay within your own mind for now and look to see if kamma is true to reality.

If you were to watch pornography right now, would you have more lustful thoughts tonight and tomorrow or less?
If you were to listen to a sad love song right now, would you have more sorrowful thoughts tonight and tomorrow or less?
If you were to smell the delicious smell of a pizza (or whatever food you really like), would you desire that food in the coming days more or less?

Find these answers for yourself. If you are determined, honest and fearless, which are the three requisites of a noble seeker, you will have the truth.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

''wholesome'' vs ''positive'' ..meh.. they're just words. Reminds me of a recent article about language..''CROMITES''..
flyingbuffaloes7.net...

''Forget about subjective and objective.''

Ok, I'll try..

''Your mind has created reality, this is a fact. If you did not have a mind to perceive and think about the world around you then you could not say that world, or anyone in it, existed.''

You have just defined subjectivity...I did try!

''If you were to watch pornography right now, would you have more lustful thoughts tonight and tomorrow or less? ''

Maybe. Chances are I would have has lustful thoughts prior to this, hence the desire to watch porno.

''If you were to listen to a sad love song right now, would you have more sorrowful thoughts tonight and tomorrow or less? ''

As a musician, I listen to a lot of music. The affect from the sad song would only generally last for the duration of the track, unless I has underlying emotional issues.

''If you were to smell the delicious smell of a pizza (or whatever food you really like), would you desire that food in the coming days more or less?''

Once I had eaten the desire has been somewhat satisfied.

''Find these answers for yourself''

I have and I have shared them with you, although I wasn't entirely sure of the question.

What you presented me with are temporary stimulants, which have a temporary affects.

''If you are determined, honest and fearless, which are the three requisites of a noble seeker, you will have the truth.''

Fearless? Absolutely.
Honest? I'll let you decide.
Determined? Not really. Sometimes I just want to get drunk and be a bit silly.

At risk of further derailing your thread I will bring this to a close. I have enjoyed our electrical internet based discussion and I wish you all the best.

If you're ever in my part of the globe (central England) perhaps we could continue. If not, adios amigo.

See you back home.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

LOL, wow, ok...

Determined? Not really. Sometimes I just want to get drunk and be a bit silly.

This sums up a page worth of posts. A child like mind at play, unattentively splashing in puddles of pleasure while an ocean of freedom awaits. Wasting the time of someone who is serious about these subjects and compassionate enough to try and answer their questions, they merely pose these questions out of boredom. This is the reason why this website is not an optimum place for these discussions.

Peace out.
edit on 23-10-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
''Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.''

Buddha

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Your time wasn't wasted. It's only that not all of what you put out there was received in the spirit in which it was given to the questioner. It took me a very long time to learn to deal with feeling disappointed after giving more than could be received, and I recoiled.

I appreciate what you shared. Please continue being fearless, honest, and determined.

new topics

top topics

join