It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank of America begged me to not to close my accounts - want to help?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+143 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Over the past two weeks, I have been closing down and moving money out of my Bank of America accounts. I have done my personal and business (I own a consulting business) banking there for over ten years but have decided to vote with my wallet and express my displeasure with the system by removing my money from their clutches. One by one, I have zeroed out the balances on various accounts by transferring and consolidating via their website. After each transfer I then called to close the accounts over the phone without issue.

Yesterday was different. I visited a branch to make a business deposit and when I arrived, there were signs on the ATMs indicating that the system was down and that customers should come into the branch. Before I got to the business customers' line, I was stopped by a banking associate and asked the purpose of my visit. I told him I was there to make a deposit and he waved me to a desk. When I sat down the banker first asked for my account number. I don't know it, so I handed him my ATM card. That's when he explained that all of their computers were down, and although they would accept the deposit, without the account number they would have to give me a generic receipt. Say what huh? When I told him that my newly opened accounts at a local (small, community) credit union would like the deposit he insisted that their computers were down too. Fifteen minutes after leaving BoA I found that to not be true and the money was happily deposited into a new account at the CU without issue.

Later in the afternoon I hit up a different branch of BoA and found their computers working just fine. I went in, asked to speak with a banker and was seated in an office. When the young associate came in and asked the purpose of my visit, I handed her my ATM card and requested that she tell me the balance. When she did, I then asked for a cashiers check in that amount. That's when things got wonky. She froze, stumbled over her words and asked why I needed that amount (It was not a small sum). This gave me an opportunity to explain that althouth I personally would not be affected by their new fees I know plenty of friends and family that would feel the pain. In solidarity with them, I wished to close the account and move on. She unwittingly suggested that if I just use my debit card once a month then there would be no fee. That was good for a belly laugh from me, then I again requested the balance to be issued to me in the form of a cashier's check. She then told me that there would be a $10 fee for this service. Another laugh. I guess it didn't sink in when I told her that I was fee adverse. There was an easy work-around anyway - I requested the cash. That finished my time with this associate banker as the amount I was requesting was "well past" her daily limit for withdrawals. I asked if there would be an issue with securing the cash and she said "I honestly don't know if we have that here" and walked out to get the branch manager.

The manager was pleasant enough and very direct. After introducing herself she flat out asked "What can we do to change your mind?" "We don't want to see you go" she emphasized. This opened a door for me to further explain my decision to leave the bank and why I was doing it. Amazingly, it did not fall on deaf ears. She indicated that understood where I was coming from and actually showed genuine surprise at some of the facts I provided her about the less than consumer friendly policies and mechanations of her employer. She did make some feeble counter-arguments and repeatedly asked me if I would change my mind (with a hint of desperation!). I stood firm and by the end of our conversation she asked if I would be willing to put it all in writing so she could send it up the chain. She shared that management is nervous, they are seeing money leaking out of the bank and realize that they have made mistakes. She even hinted that there has been high-level discussion on reversing the new fess since there has been so much consumer push-back. They are also aware of the growing momentum behind the November 5th ###snipped### action.

I agreed to arm her with addition information but that I was running short on time and now wanted my money. She picked up the desk phone and asked the original associate to rejoin us. The young lady walked in carrying stacks of cash like you see in the movies - paper bands with the amounts stamped on top. The associate then counted every bill in front of me with the manager over her shoulder, and when I was satisfied I walked out with it in a grocery bag. The money is now in a local credit union, leaving me with just one BoA account - my business checking. Moving business money is a bit more complicated and has to be seamless, so over the next two weeks I will finish putting the pieces in place and on November 5 I will shut that one down and be done with BoA banking for good. Will be interesting to see if they have the cash on hand for that withdrawal.

why do I share all of this with you? For one, I wanted to let people know that it IS still possible to withdraw large sums of cash from BoA and close your accounts - just be ready for them to beg. Two, that management is aware that people are angry (how could they not be!) and have put an ear to the ground.

###snipped###

edit on 19-10-2011 by Tripnman because: Added link to "Bank Transfer Day" FB page

edit on 19-10-2011 by Tripnman because: (no reason given)

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

edit on Wed Oct 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
BofA tried to hold my mom accountable for 1.5 million in identitiy theft that they knowing allowed to happen, as we tried in vain to warn them, they are crooks, don't trust them with your money.
edit on 19-10-2011 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripnman

Yayyy! Congratulations on on your bank account closure. Glad to see people finally taking actions against the big banks!. I've kept my money at a small community bank since I was 16. S&F for you. Great thread!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
good for you, I will be joining you on Nov 5th for i have a BofA account as well and im tired of getting raped by fees

Remember, remember, the 5th of November

The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;

I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot.

edit on 19-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I closed all my BofA accounts when they made it easy for illegals to buy a house a few years ago. Wish I could partake again!

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

Funny you should mention that. When that news broke a few years back I called BoA and told them I did not have a social security number, no ID and was not a citizen. I then asked if I would qualify for a home loan and the operator specifically said that I did not sound Hispanic enough and he thought I was joking with him. Good for some giggles, I wish I had recorded that one.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The trick is in the "#1 for English" prompt. The #2 for Espaniol had a bunch of different options...disgusting really...

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

And with that, you did more than 1,000 protesters will ever do sitting around in a park, carrying an ambiguous sign to effect change.

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

And with that, you did more than 1,000 protesters will ever do sitting around in a park, carrying an ambiguous sign to effect change.

What have you done?(Not trying to be mean lol) I think it's great people are protesting. The word is getting out. And, it seems as though change is on the way!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well done. S&F. I did the same thing over a year ago. Good ridance to BoA. Their days may very well be numbered given some of the recent news reports about their derivative exposure and the maneuvering they're doing to cover their corporate a$$.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Imagine for the very rich people with a lot of money
Begging is the first step from the bankster to avoid loosing a good client
Giving expensive gift removing fees etc ..is the second step
but now they cant afford to do that anymore .. wonder why

Now they will loose everyone .. gov will no more bailout their a$$

The fifth november take your money back interest me
first time i hear about it .. no thread ?
you should do one

anyone though about what will happen if a lot of people remove their fortune from BOA ?
im not a big expert with the bank stuff

Thank you for sharing your story
you made the good choice
hope many will follow you
S&F

edit on 10/19/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
The fifth november take your money back interest me
first time i hear about it .. no thread ?

Sorry - I should have included a link to that, will fix the OP. Here is a news article about the action and ##snipped## is a link to the organizer's Facebook page.
edit on Wed Oct 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Here is something interesting. Last week I closed out my accounts at BoA and Chase. Yesterday I went to close out my Business account with Wells Fargo and they knew I would be in to close the account!!! When I identified myself they said "We have your check printed for you, please let us verify there has been no transactions sense its printing." Then handed me my check and closed the account.

These banks are talking to each other and they know darn well whats going on. I am glad it was so easy for me. Come Nov. 5th I think it will be much harder.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think you were too nice.
My response of "Please get me MY money" is sufficient enough.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

What do I need to do? I don't have anything to complain about.

I fully support people pulling their money out of the big banks and putting that money into credit unuons. That's where mine is. Let the big banks fail this time.

When one takes real action (such as closing all accounts at a bank due to policy changes) and others take note and do the same thing, that influences change. The couple dozen people down the street from me in Fort Worth are not inducing change by hanging out in a park, yelling at nobody in particular.
edit on 19-10-2011 by usernameconspiracy because: I lost the ability to spell, apparently.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I told him I was there to make a deposit and he waved me to a desk. When I sat down the banker first asked for my account number. I don't know it, so I handed him my ATM card. That's when he explained that all of their computers were down, and although they would accept the deposit, without the account number they would have to give me a generic receipt. Say what huh? When I told him that my newly opened accounts at a local (small, community) credit union would like the deposit he insisted that their computers were down too. Fifteen minutes after leaving BoA I found that to not be true and the money was happily deposited into a new account at the CU without issue.

Can I ask why you would even have went back to BOFA to deposit money since you already had an opened CU account and were in the process of closing those other accounts down?

Michelle

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129th

Can I ask why you would even have went back to BOFA to deposit money since you already had an opened CU account and were in the process of closing those other accounts down?

Michelle

Valid question - the deposit was to my business account and I was making it simply for efficiencies in cash flow. I do not yet have checks printed for the new accounts and my business issues dozens of them per day. I need all the pieces in place before I can move the business account and in the meanwhile I need to keep my employees and vendors fed.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

What if those people don't have anything significant to withdraw? I don't think a bank would notice if I moved my $15 or $20 average balance somewhere else. I am already at a Credit Union, I made that move a couple of years ago when BofA was ripping me off. I went from BofA to a local bank called Capital City Bank (which is currently doing a massive "we are local" marketing campaign, LOL), and then I realized that they are not as "local" as they seem. They don't make decisions on site, their fees are even worse than the big banks, and their folks seemed very clueless about customer service, so I then moved to the Envision Credit Union, and I couldn't be happier!!

But back to the point, I deposit about $7000 per month, but it goes immediately back out to bills (I'm over indebted obviously), so moving my account when the average daily balance is so low would not make much difference.

Those folks camping out in solidarity and yelling at no one in particular are at least voicing the concerns we all have. At least they are drawing attention to the issues. At least they are involved and active and doing something instead of just complying or complaining.

So, for those that can take more direct action, GREAT, but for the others, protest is a great tool.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Don't forget that with fractional reserve banking, the big banks loan out every dollar on deposit 10:1 and make a majority of their profits from the usury associated with those loans. So, for that $25 balance, you've taken away their ability to loan out $250. Do that across 1,000 accounts and we've pulled $250,000 from their derived capitalization. Sure, still a drop in the bucket considering the 6.5 billion dollar profit BoA posted last quarter, but every drop counts. Enough of them will be a flood.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Definitely!! If I weren't already moved, I would move now no matter how small the amount. As you say, if nothing else, at least it shows unity!

I think the fractional reserve is up closer to 14:1 last I checked (but maybe that was temporary). Deposits are definitely the place to hit them!

The Bailouts and Ridiculous Fed policy exasperated this problem by paying interest to the banks reserve money. The banks can now take Federal money and then NOT loan it out, and draw interest on it at the same time.
This is the first time in history the banks have been paid to NOT LOAN money. And it was supposed to stimulate the economy some how?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join