It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wandering the Cemetaries.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Does anyone ever wander in the cemetary when they do go? Or do you just go visit who you came to see, and leave? If you have wandered, what was the most spiritual event while being there?

For me it would have to be finding this small gravemarker, barely bigger than a single person's gravemarker today.

And it was in the middle of no where in the cemetary, surrounded by few graves, and yet it was one of the oldest graves, from 1870s, and upon it was an entire family. The father, mother and 3 children, the oldest child having died first at 20ish, then the other two not shortly after, than the father and then the mother.

All within a 15 year span.

And I stood there thinking to myself, "I must be the only one who has seen this grave in a long time."

I think it is in a cemetary when mortality first really dawns on you. To realize that you are just a stone carved plaque really is a kicker.

Anyone have any such events? Or spooky events? Seen ghosts in the graveyard or what not? Too bad it's not holloween

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Yeah I do that sometimes, it makes you realise your own mortality and the futility of existance.

All those people worked hard, yearned after material goods, now their bodies are rotting away and their spirits are elsewhere. All that is left to remind people that they lived are memories of others and a bit of stone with their name on it.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Not sure though whether I should share my "graveyard" experiences?! I used to have a thing for graveyards when I was a weee bit younger. So don't hold anything against me now..
But I had a group of friends then, and we would spend our weekend nights hunting for graveyards and setting up camp in them and telling stories and talking about the dead there and how their lives must have been and what may have happened to them at time of death. We never disrespected their graves really, I don't think? And we did have some strange experiences at times. But we were all "searching" for those things, so perhaps we brought them on ourselves? Who knows? We stumbled onto a pet cemetary once, that was really interesting, we read each gravestone there..pretty neat.
Magestica

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Yeah I do that sometimes, it makes you realise your own mortality and the futility of existance.

All those people worked hard, yearned after material goods, now their bodies are rotting away and their spirits are elsewhere. All that is left to remind people that they lived are memories of others and a bit of stone with their name on it.

I keep telling myself i should visit .....only because of what ''netchicken'' said above.

I pass the grave yards almost eveyday(on my way to the gym)and i always think to myself of how life is not all about this world and its earthly existence......To think that 'death' can come at anytime is a thought that should always be on our minds!
only because if we, for just 5 minutes of our day sat down to think what type of person we are and stop accusing others with ''hate''we would be better people.......unfortunately we live in the world with almost everthing in our hands and we assume that we will live forever........not knowing what awaits us in our ''eternity''.............
(sorry if im not making sense)

ok, here's a story, my dad in Greece, lived near the cemetary and he would often walk through .....(never scared ) he would hear voices and talking.....at one time there were rocks being thrown at him(day light) but not ever to hurt him.... the cemetary had a small church in which people would visit to pray ......as soon as my dad came close to the church, the rocks would stop ..........this is only one of many incidents that happened .....
Other wierd and unexplainable incidents took place out of the cemetaries.....

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I dont need to walk through graveyards to realize the futility of existence. Thoughts of futility are on me every day, and through them ideas for a better life. You can take it a step further. Realizing that humanity itself will die out or evolve in a few thousand years. Mere seconds compared to the universe. Then you caould realize that the earth dosent have that long really. And after it the universe cold, heatless, dead. Once reached it will seem as though no time has passed between events. And in fact, has it.

It is best to live so that others remember you, rather than gaining wealth for yourself. Through memory, story and child we can reach longevity long after death.

XAOS

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Death...is only the beginning.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I used to work in a cemetery and had nightmares. I eventually became numb to it all. In one day we would dig 3 graves for infants and 4 for adults. We had info on how they died. There were suicides to murders. There is is this one spot were a woman lays without arms and head.

It got freaky.

But to answer your POST. I did some wandering and found the site of a jr. high school mate and could not believe my eyes. His grave marker. Out of the blue his parents were standing behind me and told me he had commited suicide.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I�ve had many experiences in cemeteries since being a young boy. My mother seemed to have had an obsession with them and she even had our Easter Day egg hunts in one where my Grandparents are buried.

My dad taught me how to drive in a cemetery.

I went to a high school that was built over a cemetary, we were called the phamtoms.

When I was a teenager my friends & I would go into a local cemetery to drink and party under a thick grove of trees. That became our special place where we felt safe because the trees sheltered us from being seen by the L.A.P.D.s helicopters.

I still enjoy walking through cemeteries and seeing the different types of monuments. The best I�ve seen are a couple of really cool pyramids in Rosedale cemetery in Los Angeles.

Here in England older churches have a graveyard adjacent to the sanctuary. Some of the tombstones are so old the writing has worn off and they�re covered with moss. Many kings, queens and nobles are buried in Cathedrals and Abbeys here.

In Lowther village near Penrith, Cumbria � I walked into Lord Lonsdale�s mausoleum and saw his monument. It was eerie to see this stone figure of him sitting in a chair staring at me.

Maybe my childhood experiences have caused me to be comfortable in cemeteries, for whatever reason, I do enjoy walking through them.

[Edited on 8-4-2003 by deepwaters]

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I had a rather strange experience in a cemetary once. I was in my home town, walking with my brother. We were both in middle school. It should be noted, that there are no less than 5 cemetaries within walking distance of my Grandparents' house in this town.

Anyways, we're walking by this one cemetary, and a strange dog comes up to us. He barks, then walks, turns back, barks once at us again, etc. as if he wants us to follow him. So, being bored, we do so. He leads us through the graveyard, and starts picking up the pace...we follow. Finally, he bolts, and then starts scratching furiously at a tombstone... We catch up, and then our jaws drop...the last name on the tombstone, was ours!

Needless to say, we bolted back to grandma's, and later on, asked her about the tombstone. Come to find out, the ones interred were distant relatives....creepy, and still one of the most profound experiences I've ever had in a graveyard....

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That is an amazing story Gaz

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Eventually, I kind of dismissed it as maybe the dog's keen sense of smell noticed some kind of "ancestry scent" or something, but I realize that's really reaching...

Guess I'll never really know... My grandparents there are since deceased, and no other family is in the area, so I haven't been back in a while... The whole town always had a weird "feel" about it, and it always kind of gave me the willies.... I have to go back there sometime....

join