It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City: The choice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Thanks guys all of these ideas are really good, i really dont/and cant leave or move away, since im only16. but i was still thinking of a plan to be a step ahead of the game.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7

Originally posted by OathKeeper
reply to post by Rocketman7

So I will be the 5%. Intersting numbers. 9 million residents or so figure less than 250,000 survivors. Still a lot wow.

When everyone flees the city, there will still be tons of stuff to scrounge everywhere. As long as the cockroaches don't get it.

Well NYC is being taken over by Bed Bugs. They are rampantly spreading everywhere.

While they won't eat the food you may have, they will simply drink your blood while you sleep.

You are the MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) - lol.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I was living on L.I.on 9/11.Emergency vehicles trying to head west to the city(west)while people were trying to flee the city to the island(east).I would'nt say just the city and island were a mess.i would say the whole northeast was gridlock.My 2cents.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

my advise - would be to stay right where you are - UNLESS your home is , or is threatend with destruction or becoming a fatal environment

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinogur
Thanks guys all of these ideas are really good, i really dont/and cant leave or move away, since im only16. but i was still thinking of a plan to be a step ahead of the game.

16??? You are sooo in big trouble if the SHTF.

Better get a wig and a fake moustache and a hat and a dirty overcoat. And limp when you walk.

Don't talk to anyone.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Better get a wig and a fake moustache and a hat and a dirty overcoat. And limp when you walk.

Don't talk to anyone.

How am i in big trouble? just cause im 16 doesnt mean im, completely helpless, i do have local contacts who have the same knowledge as we do here on ATS.

And i would need all of those things to..... Look like an old man? Or just to be incognito?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Don't talk to anyone.

How am i in big trouble? just cause im 16 doesnt mean im, completely helpless, i do have local contacts who have the same knowledge as we do here on ATS.

And i would need all of those things to..... Look like an old man? Or just to be incognito?

Both would be good. And maybe drag one foot when you walk.
edit on 22-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

People try to take advantage of kids, and little known fact, for most people, from DC to Boston has basically become one big city, with only small sections with semi-low, but still kinda high, population dencity (compared to the rest of the world). Bunker up and pretend no-one is home for a while, if you have to leave, use bikes. Back roads will do no good as people will know about them. So make yourself look older, however do not limp, that makes you look like an easy target. If you stay with your family everyone should have some kind of weapon, but it should be concealable, as you want to make people think you are non-threatening, but still be able to kick their asses should you need to. Learn a martial art, pick one that suits you, practice a lot, and make sure you learn how to avoid telegraphing your movements. Learn to fight with things like (highly frowned apon) punch knives and weighted gloves. These, should you know how to use them right and practice with them, will give you an added element of lethality, that won't be to odvious. Get easily hidden knives and carry them around when it is legal, with the frowned upon stuff in your home. As others have said, bunker up, for at least a week, more if sickness and radation are an issue. Get bored games like monopoly, risk and others, as well as a deck of cards. Be quiet and make sure your windows are covered up, this way if you use candles the light won't show out into the now pitch black NYC. Get a number of fire starting implements and learn how to effectively use them, from matches, to lighters, to spark rods. Try to avoid making noise, and be ready to freaze if you hear people. Barakade your door and the wall around it. Other than that I can't really offer anything for you other than be fit, and be ready.
edit on 23-10-2011 by JDBlack because: stuff

And I know, I ramble
edit on 23-10-2011 by JDBlack because: more stuff

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
reply to post by Dinogur

People try to take advantage of kids, and little known fact, for most people, from DC to Boston has basically become one big city, with only small sections with semi-low, but still kinda high, population dencity (compared to the rest of the world). Bunker up and pretend no-one is home for a while, if you have to leave, use bikes. Back roads will do no good as people will know about them. So make yourself look older, however do not limp, that makes you look like an easy target. If you stay with your family everyone should have some kind of weapon, but it should be concealable, as you want to make people think you are non-threatening, but still be able to kick their asses should you need to. Learn a martial art, pick one that suits you, practice a lot, and make sure you learn how to avoid telegraphing your movements. Learn to fight with things like (highly frowned apon) punch knives and weighted gloves. These, should you know how to use them right and practice with them, will give you an added element of lethality, that won't be to odvious. Get easily hidden knives and carry them around when it is legal, with the frowned upon stuff in your home. As others have said, bunker up, for at least a week, more if sickness and radation are an issue. Get bored games like monopoly, risk and others, as well as a deck of cards. Be quiet and make sure your windows are covered up, this way if you use candles the light won't show out into the now pitch black NYC. Get a number of fire starting implements and learn how to effectively use them, from matches, to lighters, to spark rods. Try to avoid making noise, and be ready to freaze if you hear people. Barakade your door and the wall around it. Other than that I can't really offer anything for you other than be fit, and be ready.
edit on 23-10-2011 by JDBlack because: stuff

And I know, I ramble
edit on 23-10-2011 by JDBlack because: more stuff

I was thinking if he dragged one foot, getting shot in the head is better than being gut shot. Since the head is a smaller target.

At least you improve your odds because rather than just being sniped, and getting hit in the body, if they miss your head, you might hear the bullet whiz by and then you can lay down and play dead.

I suspect people will just be shooting anything that moves. If they aren't then maybe in the dark you might be ok, if you can see in the dark, since there won't be any lights. But if you have a light, well, thats a target too.

If you have night vision goggles, well you should hope they don't give off a green glow that is visible.

Even a camcorder has a red light where the infrared is.

Hunker down and wait until people kill each other off. Lets face it, once law and order is gone, its gong to be a free for all with killing with impunity, and so many people have weapons and so many people are crazy.

If you don't think so, then look at how many hits the AA-12 got in youtube. Its a killing machine. A machine gun shot gun. It got over 10 million hits in youtube.
Water is you big concern. Make your way to the roof, collect rain water, or get it some how without going outside.

If you have to go outside to get water, well, no matter what you do, you might get killed like a buffalo for sport.

But for sure if you look like a teenager, you will be a target for abuse. You could join a gang. Safety in numbers.
But then you would have to do what they do and that might mean go on killing sprees etc.
I would say, have a bag of rice, thats cheap, some dry beans, some seasoning, and a way to get water.
Some plastic for the windows. A rope so you won't burn to death. You can get out the window.
Keep in mind the city will be on fire right away. No matter how you slice it, unless you really seriously have a good plan, you will die like the rest.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Well then, what are you going to do if
- your building is on fire?
- the air is toxic and you can't breathe?
- you run out of water?
- you run out of food?
- someone tries to enter your apartment?

Those are the basics. Solve those.

Then, think about boredom, and cuts and scrapes, and communications, etc.

Its not going to be like this... riots

Its going to be like Rwanda

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
you could try to wait it out but it could take years for a social structure to come around. The problem with the city is the water supply no power = no water. The ground water is toxic from all the metals and petro unless you have charcoal and sands to filter the water death will come fast then you need to kill all the bacteria that remain. but if SHTF the nuke plants will melt down and seep into the water supply also. The toxic rain is undrinkable also. People will be fighting to death for the scrapes of a dying world.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by warsight
you could try to wait it out but it could take years for a social structure to come around. The problem with the city is the water supply no power = no water. The ground water is toxic from all the metals and petro unless you have charcoal and sands to filter the water death will come fast then you need to kill all the bacteria that remain. but if SHTF the nuke plants will melt down and seep into the water supply also. The toxic rain is undrinkable also. People will be fighting to death for the scrapes of a dying world.

So true.

Read or listen to One Second After. Great book.

If you need water in New York, you have to open a fire hydrant, and then drop a hose into the water main and pump some out. The main will have drinking water in it, although, you might still need to filter it for radiation and boil it for bacteria. Also, pumping it out is no easy thing to do either.

If you are in a large building, then in the basement you can open the 4 inch fire main where the hoses are in a cabinet in the hall that sort of thing. Better if you could do it and not have to go outside.

Even rainwater will be unsafe. They did say not to drink rainwater after Fukushima. In Canada and America.
It contained unsafe levels of radioactive isotopes. I have heard people say you could filter it through dirt or something but I don't know. I have a vario water filter for camping that I would use if I was dieing of thirst.

And take some Norwegian kelp tablets for the radioactive iodine. Radiation might kill you but it would take longer than dieing of thirst.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I live in mid-Suffolk County, North Shore, and i'll NEVER leave my home. Just store non-perishable food, water, home supplies, medical supplies, lots of ammo (shotguns here), and an energy source (propane tanks here). We have a basement. We did great without power for a week back in August after hurricane Irene - basically indoor camping - while many of the neighbors freaked out and lived with family (wimps!). Let's face it, in the event of NYC getting nuked, or a large tidal wave, you'll need to go many hundreds of miles inland to escape any destruction and even if you do, you'll have little or nothing as far as inventory or a home - THAT'S SCARY!

Bottom line: be prepared to hunker down if necessary.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You can't control the snipers, however, up close and personal you wouldn't want to show signs of weakness. Though i personally would prefer a head to a gut shot. However my main bit of advice was supposed to be to hole up and not come out until things calm down unless you absolutely have to do so.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TypeSH2001
I live in mid-Suffolk County, North Shore, and i'll NEVER leave my home. Just store non-perishable food, water, home supplies, medical supplies, lots of ammo (shotguns here), and an energy source (propane tanks here). We have a basement. We did great without power for a week back in August after hurricane Irene - basically indoor camping - while many of the neighbors freaked out and lived with family (wimps!). Let's face it, in the event of NYC getting nuked, or a large tidal wave, you'll need to go many hundreds of miles inland to escape any destruction and even if you do, you'll have little or nothing as far as inventory or a home - THAT'S SCARY!

Bottom line: be prepared to hunker down if necessary.

You know you could survive a tsunami with a large survival raft, like from a ship. It might have a locater beacon, and if you drift out to sea, they can survive for some time well equipped.

Otherwise for sure, you haven't got a prayer where you are. Maybe a boat, but if you look at Fukushima, the water rose 30 feet in about 5 to 10 minutes.
Cars buildings everything just washed away.

Some really well made concrete buildings survived but not much. Very few.

A 6 man survival life raft, will cost over a thousand dollars but people have survived 8 days at sea in just a survival suit. And those are cheaper.

So its not hopeless, its just a matter of well is it needed, will you get one, will you take your chances, has there ever been a tsunami off New York that could threaten you?
www.msnbc.msn.com...

edit on 29-10-2011 by Rocketman7 because: added info

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join