It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why politicians can't tell the truth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Here's a great little documentary about a british election comparing the parties.It smells and looks like democracy but is it democracy.Shows how the whole process is smoke amd mirrors

www.veoh.com... part 1

www.veoh.com... part 2

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
ill tell you why:
politicans are only public relation reps.
they cant go against what their party tells them just like a big tobacco lawyer has to love death
look behind the faces and flattery

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm going to offer a more nuanced opinion. Politicians don't tell the truth because people wouldn't vote for it.

If someone was running for office and said: We're so far in debt we can't do anything to change it, the people who are paying for this campaign demand the status quo, and they're going to get it unless you stop watching tv all day and pay attention to the world around you, would you like that person?

I hate to be so cynical, but I've put my name on a ballot before, and all I walked away from the experience with is serious doubts about the viability of any democratic process.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Bump

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by celticdog

I was very attracted by the title of this program.

But it's about the UK elections of 2005.

It's been put together by one of those thorn-in-your-side journalists that seem to find their niche in most areas of the world. It focuses on how the political parties have resorted to corporate marketing tactics to "sell" themselves to swing voters with promises they have no real intention of honoring. What's important is to get enough votes to win. Real issues have no place in modern politics. None of us are really smart enough to figure out the best solutions, anyway. That's the corporate attitude.

And that's about as far as this guy's analysis goes.

What he fails to touch much on is that if this is true, then these politicians have long since sold the last shreds of their integrity down the river. They are now under the delusion that it doesn't "pay" to be honest or care about things that are really important. They have become soulless puppets.

This journalist ignores the underlying fundamentals of the situation. For instance, he can see that there are important issues in the UK that if not tended to will result in economic or environmental disaster. And if he can see that, there must be politicians and voters who can see that, too. Why don't they speak up more loudly?

Well, why wouldn't you speak up about something important? If you felt threatened for doing so, right? How does a criminal try to protect himself from being turned in? By threatening everyone who knows the truth about him with instant death if they talk, and by bribing the police. So, the same thing must be happening to us.

I have been volunteering recently for a group that deals with a very important issue (the failed mental health system) that you almost never hear about in the media or politics. I hand out fliers to passers by. Roughly half of them take a flier, unless they've already seen it. About a quarter say no thanks. And about another quarter walk right by me without even acknowledging that I am there trying to hand them a flier. It's that last 25% that really scare the crap out of me. They must be so afraid of "doing something wrong" that they won't even refuse to take a handout from someone. That's how scared they are. And that's too scared.

No one should have to walk around that scared about whether or not they're behaving. Only the employees of criminals have to act that way. So, in my rough estimation, about 1/4 of the adult population is being employed by serious criminals. And another 1/4 is connected enough with that scene to know they aren't supposed to take fliers from strangers. About 1/2 of the people I've met who do take fliers and come in to learn more have been involved with the mental health system and definitely do NOT feel mentally "healthier" as a result. So I know the issue is real, and that it's big.

Who or what, exactly, is scaring the rest away from even being willing to read a piece of literature? It's a puzzle we are still piecing together based on the stories of just a few people who were there once, decided they didn't like it, and lived to talk about it.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

I didnt see the Video on ATS so I post it. It justs adds one more piece to the whole scheme of things.You have to learn things piece by piece.People are made to feel hopeless.They cant do anything about the crime,wars,poverty and so feel whats the point and get complacent. Maybe if they felt they could make a difference they would. For one guy to try it is like climbing Mount Everest and with having to cope every day life it is a bit much.It is cool you are volunteering for something close to your heart keep up the good work you are a better man that me.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I don't see any reason why they can't tell the truth.

There's this guy named Ron Paul and he tells it like it is every time he opens his mouth. Why everyone in politics can't be a little more like him? I dunno, but they certainly don't have any excuses.

top topics

join