It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAST searching of major free online collections of UFO journals (or just browse/download them)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

This looks like a very nice collection to have, thank you very much.
Guess I'll have a lot of printing to do, for some reason I can't get myself to read pdf's over a longer period of time.
Despite my disability this will make a very useful data base in combination with the viewer.

The Journal of Scientific Exploration is also available for download and deals with the subject of Ufos amongst other things.
I have found it useful/interesting at times, hopefully you don't mind the link.
If you do let me know and I will remove it.
Eta:
sorry, Kandinsky already posted the link. I have missed that *blush*
edit on 10-10-2011 by derpif because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Just making sure i can get back to this

F & S

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by derpif
The Journal of Scientific Exploration is also available for download and deals with the subject of Ufos amongst other things.
I have found it useful/interesting at times, hopefully you don't mind the link.
If you do let me know and I will remove it.

I certainly don't mind the link! Indeed, I'd welcome anyone to post any additional links to collections of journals/magazines (relating, entirely or in significant part, to UFOs) that they think would be worth including in a search of PDF material.

Thank you and Kandinsky for posting the link to JSE - I'd forgotten how much of it is now available online.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Once a few people have had an opportunity to try out the search technique outlined in the OP, I'd be interested in hearing whether I was simply too easily impressed or whether other people think the speed of the search is indeed pretty remarkable.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It's impressive. I did a dry-run for 'skull' through a Valsequillo folder (200mb) and it worked.

I then tried 'humanoid' for a 28 gig folder and it came up with plenty. Testing a few of the results took me straight to pages in articles and books. Not bad.

The downside is it's defaulted all the pdfs to X-Change Viewer. I like the new Adobe X for the highlighting and sticky notes functions. I'll twiddle with the settings and try to get Adobe as the default with XCV still being able to search.

If they can work in tandem, I'll be happy.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
The downside is it's defaulted all the pdfs to X-Change Viewer. I like the new Adobe X for the highlighting and sticky notes functions. I'll twiddle with the settings and try to get Adobe as the default with XCV still being able to search.

In Windows 7 (which I use), I think you just have to click on Control Panel, Programs, Default Programs, Set Associations and change the .pdf back to Adobe X. I haven't tried changing back to Adobe because, so far, I've actually preferred the X-Change Viewer as my default.

By the way, I've been asked by a colleague on the continent if I know of a Mac equivalent (since X-Change Viewer is, apparently, limited to Windows users). I don't know much about Macs, so wondered if anyone on here had any suggestions for him.

I've done a few quick Google searches, and the webpage below suggests "Skim" for Mac Os users:

blogallalong.com...

It is definitely the best equivalence to pdf-xchange viewer.

But someone else disagreed:

Skim for mac doesnt hold a candle to pdf x change viewer; the number of things the latter can do is amazing. I ended up having to use pdf x-change viewer via a wine layer, which although functional, is not ideal.

(I've never come across a "wine layer" and, since I don't own a mac, presumably never will...)

Anyone used "Skim" and know if it has a fast search function allowing users to search directories full of PDF documents so I can suggest it as a possibility to the chap that asked for a Mac alternative??

edit on 11-10-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Apparently, the topic of ET disclosure is being considered by the White House. President Obama is allowing people to petition him for poignant topics that the American people want to discuss in the We The People section of their website. One of the petitions is for him to seriously consider disclosure. As of today, there are over 9500 signatures to this petition. If I read the information on the website correctly, if a petition reaches 25,000 votes within a thirty day period, then it crosses a 'threshold and requires a response.' Below is the text of the petition:
---------------------------------------------
formally acknowledge an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race - Disclosure.
Disclosure Petition - Paradigm Research Group

"We, the undersigned, strongly urge the President of the United States to formally acknowledge an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race and immediately release into the public domain all files from all agencies and military services relevant to this phenomenon."
___

Hundreds of military and government agency witnesses have come forward with testimony confirming this extraterrestrial presence. Opinion polls now indicate more than 50% of the American people believe there is an extraterrestrial presence and more than 80% believe the government is not telling the truth about this phenomenon. The people have a right to know. The people can handle the truth.

Relevant Websites: www.disclosurepetition.info, www.paradigmresearchgroup.org

--------------------------------------
The petition was started on September 22, 2011 and we have until October 22, 2011 to make certain that the number goes above 25,000. It appears to be averaging about 500 signatures per day. If we at ATS and other sites (coast to coast am, etc.) band together, I'm certain that we can get above the 25,000 mark. NOW IS OUR CHANCE!!!!!! Here is a link to the website:

wwws.whitehouse.gov...!/petition/formally-acknowledge-extraterrestrial-presence-engaging-human-race-disclosure/wfYDlmlG?utm_source=wh. gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Thanks Isaac. You are consistently one of the best sources of info on this website. Good job. Now I can box up all my journals and start using my file cabinet again!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Another great post from Isaac.

For the same purpose I was using for years default option inside Adobe Reader called "Advanced Search" that can also do search of multiple files sorted inside folders (as Isaac also points in his original post). Of course sometimes, some journals and documents should be OCR-ed before using this method (most of the journals already are).

I have done some tests with International UFO Reporter DVD from CUFOS that is available here.

www.cufos.org...

My PC has 2 GB of RAM and the strength of the processor is 2.21 GHz.

Those are comparable results with the CUFOS DVD. I have not included other journals (like "Frontiers of Science") that are also available on the same DVD. So, I have done searches only within IUR journals - issues from 1976 to 2005.

RESULTS:

PDF-XChange Viewer
Keyword: Exeter
Search results: 8 documents, 43 entries
Time of search: 3 minutes and 55 seconds.

Adobe Reader X
Keyword: Exeter
Search results: 6 documents, 40 entries
Time of search: 17 minutes and 45 seconds.

So, like Isaac said, PDF-XChange Viewer is extremely faster compared with Adobe Reader X. Results speak for themselves (about 350% faster on my PC configuration using DVD as a source for files).

Fantastic Thread.

uforadio
ufoprintclip.x10.mx...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by uforadio
So, like Isaac said, PDF-XChange Viewer is extremely faster compared with Adobe Reader X. Results speak for themselves (about 350% faster on my PC configuration using DVD as a source for files).

Fantastic Thread.

uforadio

Thanks for the quantitative testing, which confirmed my impression as to the relative speed.

In relation to Mac OS users, I'm not sure if they have any option close to the speed of PDF-XChange Viewer (although presumably Adobe Reader X or some other PDF software at least has the option to search multiple PDF files, even if slower than PDF-XChange Viewer). Even a slower computerised option is much faster than trying to read all these journals...

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Haven't been around much lately, but glad I found your post Mr. Koi.

Fantastic stuff as always.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
BUMP

Brilliant as usual Isaac,

Hope you are well old boy.

Thank You!

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Truly great work Isaac and a shameles bump for this thread, this will make cross referencing cases and online searches for UFO info a lot less time consuming - bloody good job.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Excellent links, Isaac, I used the viewer to search and it was indeed fast and easy to use.

One minor glitch with flashget, after installing, my xp box began a reboot loop. After starting the box in safe mode and removing flashget, I no longer had that problem. I think it may have been due to me denying flashget the right to alter my network settings. As a rule, I never allow programs to make changes to my network.

But the viewer and the bulk rename utils work well and I do appreciate them both.

Thanks for all you do, and I have been enjoying the UFO Collective group.

guyx

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The free PDF-XChange Viewer covered in this thread as my preferred option for most searches of multiple PDFs (for reasons given above) has been replaced by a new improved (and still free) piece of software, now called PDF-Xchange Editor - which still have a search option that allows you to specify a directory to be searched, which can contain lots of PDFs or sub-directories full of PDFs:
www.tracker-software.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: IsaacKoi

Excellent source of information and especially important in order to keep Ufology alive. I think for the next generations of people studying it, like the previous generations, they aren't going to get much help from the government. Kudos to IK

Additionally, I've already plugged a few books I think are worth the read, another one I'd recommend if you can obtain a copy, UFO's 1947 - 1987 - The 40-Year Search For An Explanation, compiled by Hilary Evans and John Spencer for the British UFO Research Association.

Basically, it is a compilation by a ton of researchers with every theory proposed for the phenomenon, some ludicrous but some are definitely worth while pondering over.

edit on -180002016-07-25T18:14:02-05:000000000231201602072016Mon, 25 Jul 2016 18:14:02 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   
hi guys just saying biggup respects for this information

I'm asking if anyone has a local copy of the MUFON Journals? the link does not work and I can't find them all in one place anywhere

if you could upload them to and share them, that would be SUPER AWESOME!
edit on 6-6-2023 by eksopolitiikka because: addedsuggestion

edit on 6/6/2023 by semperfortis because: Removed Spam Link

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join