It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Austin Update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Nearly 2000 showed up for the Occupy Austin protest (and many are still there trying to camp out as the authorities threaten to haul them to jail for camping at city hall).

There was a brief confrontation between police and the crowd when they tried to arrest someone with a tent. Lots of chanting, and a few riled nerves. I'm not sure if anyone actually got arrested - couldn't tell through the crowd.

Hundreds brought assorted signs and waved them at the many thousands of cars that passed by, and people honked all night in support. It was a loud cacophony of chanting and horns.

There were many speakers, some good, some just trying to say what they think, but obviously have no speaking experience, and hey, I know it's hard to speak in front of a couple thousand if you're not accustomed to it. But overall very cool - completely non-violent peaceful protest, to this point.

It was a good first night turn out. The police presence was a bit ridiculous - they basically had a everyone corralled and surrounded with the swat unit and paddy wagons around the corner.

Is that freedom? You can kind of assemble and speak but you will be corralled like animals and go home when we tell you to... ?? Is that freedom?

Well is it?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The answer is NO
It isn't feedom, it is intimidation.
Freedom is something we as Americans do NOT deserve.

When we collectively decide it is time to stand up to tyranny and oppression
then and only then will we deserve freedom.
Then begins the long hard journey of actually getting it back,
which hopefully is what is getting ready to happen.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Is Leslie the homeless, bearded, tiara wearing transvestite that sometimes runs for mayor making him/her-self heard?

That's the Austin I know and love.
Keep Austin Weird!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

edit on 7-10-2011 by Kumatage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Is Leslie the homeless, bearded, tiara wearing transvestite that sometimes runs for mayor making him/her-self heard?

That's the Austin I know and love.
Keep Austin Weird!

Leslie is fairly quiet these days, since he was beaten from an inch of his life by some anti-gay thugs. I have seen him around town here and there though.

@screwed - yes sir, you are correct. unfortunate, but correct

There was the report of 1300 but more people kept coming after this number was released. My estimate as a crowd counter at the height was more like 1800.

And of course since it was Austin, there were the odd variety of Anonymous mask wearers, hippies with drums, guys with ron paul shirts, old activist ladies, the crippled and homeless, college students, people with dogs. Me with my gf, and our friend who is jobless and can't find work (and is being given the run around in the medical system. Was trying to help him out today, and I swear I was about to scream at these medical people for being so cold hearted and callous and caring about nothing but money. That's all they give a rats ass about.

Some people had "Tax Our Weed" signs.
One person thought he was ironic and had a "Radiohead is playing a free show tomorrow" sign

ok that one was kind of funny.
There were street musicians.
A few kids with their folks, but mostly 20 somethings (I don't fall in that category...)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

That's really sad to hear about Leslie.
How could anyone hurt an Austin icon like him? Guy's got a wiki, and there's even Leslie dress-up fridge magnets can found places selling Austin tourist kitchy stuff. Sad.

I'm surprised there's not a clothing-optional representation along side the tax-my-weed show-ups.
I'm also surprised old Willie Nelson hasn't made an appearance.

Occupy isn't over yet, so, time will tell.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Ya, that kind of bigotry is disgusting.
Occupy Austin (and elsewhere) is just getting started!

I realized this earlier tonight - You know you're getting older when you say to yourself "Wow I'm too tired for revolution today. How bout we do this tomorrow after I get some sleep"

new topics

top topics

join