It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm gonna tell you how to boil eggs like a pro!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Please tell me you just didn't type that!

Give me the ten bucks.

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Every time I have put eggs into hot water, they instantly crack.

I just fill a pan up with water, drop the eggs in and turn the stove on and when the water starts boiling I start the clock for 8-10 minutes.

Me too. It's funny that this came up because I just went through this a couple of days ago. So, I Googled "How to make the perfect hard boiled egg" and this is what I found and it made the best hard boilded eggs I've ever had...

Put the eggs in your pan and fill it with water until it is an inch or so above the eggs. Put a little salt in the water, it helps to make the eggs peel easier. Now, bring the water to a rolling boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cover for 15 minutes. Run cold water into the pan to cool them down. Peel and eat. The yolks were perfect and there was no green stuff around the edge and the shell just about falls off once it's cracked. Perfection.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

No, I would need two of them because we eat a lot of eggs....gotta admit, it's a sweet idea.
However, read the amazon r eviews before you give up on peeling eggs

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I think there might be an egg conspiracy then.

edit on 6-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I think my mother once told me to put a couple of pinches of salt in the water to stop them cracking... Could have been vinegar or sugar though, but im sure it was salt

I put some salt and a little bit of vegetable oil in the water to avoid it. It also seems to make them easier to peel after.

I don't put them in the fridge, but I don't do ice water either, just cold tap water (no ice).
The trick is don't pour the water onto the eggs directly, pour into the pot in a place where it isn't directly on an egg.

I pretty much pull off my eggshells in one big piece or two, doing it this way, and like the OP, I like them just a little soft in the center.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I was watching a cookery prog the other day and one of the contestants made a slow boiled egg - apparently they are delicious -cooked in barely warm water for a long time. Apparently its a japanese thing and the women would put the eggs in their baths while they bathed, and take them out for a snack when they'd finished. Remembering of course that in Japan you wash before you get into a bath of clean water! No soapsuds.

I keep hens and get fresh eggs every day, so will try this soon (the slow cooking, not the bath method)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by britchik

I'd like to experiment with that method of cooking an egg. You wouldn't by any chance have, or know where to find the instructions would you?

I'm also experimenting on the perfect coddled egg recipe right now, but I haven't perfected it yet. The cooking instructions from The Joy of Cooking (maybe the greatest cookbook / cooking guide ever) are WRONG. They're at least five to ten minutes off on their cooking time. If you like loose WHITES, then by all means, use their recipe.

A perfect coddled egg is hard to master, but I'll get it and post it.

Peace

edit on 7-10-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I use a slightly different method...and it's really easy.

1. Put eggs in pan and cover with COLD water.
2. Put pan with lid on it onto burner and put burner on medium/high.
3. Set timer for 20 minutes
4. Once boiling, turn off burner and wait for timer to beep.
5. Take pan off burner and shock eggs with cold tap water
6. Peel and eat.

I have always had perfect boiled eggs with this method...I sometimes get cracks...but most the time I don't care. If I care, then there are things you can do to avoid that (vinegar, poking a pin hole in egg, etc.).

I like this method better than boiling the water first.

ETA: Duh...forgot the step about the timer

edit on 7-10-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join