It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm gonna tell you how to boil eggs like a pro!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
First, I always use large organic eggs, not the 'roided up ones that are twice the size, but labeled as the same size as the organic.

Take a pot of water and bring the water to a rolling boil, not the boil people usually think a boil is, a rolling, thunderous boil.

1. Rolling boil.
2. Drop eggs gently, but quickly into the boiling water, so as to get them all to cook the same.
3. Put a lid on the pot and turn down the heat to the lowest setting.
4. I like my yolks bright yellow and soft, so eight minutes (use an egg timer) is good for me. If you want what most would consider to be your average hard boiled egg, thirteen minutes. If you want overcooked boiled eggs, I don't know how long because I wouldn't eat them.
5. After your egg timer goes off, use a slotted spoon and take the eggs out as quickly as possible and place them all in a bowl, then place the bowl in the fridge.
6. Remember there's some carry-over cooking still taking place once you place the eggs in the bowl and stick them in the fridge, so be exact with the boiling time.
7. Don't prick your eggs, I don't know who came up with that garbage.
8. DO NOT take your eggs out of the boiling water and place them in a bowl of ice water......trust me! I don't know who came up with that garbage either.
9. Peeling the eggs: crack the fat end first and continue cracking in one line around the egg until you get back to the fat end. You'll be amazed at how easily the shell comes off.
10. Enjoy Cool Hand Luke style!

Now, with all that being said, if you're using the 'roided eggs, I'd recommend another minute and a half to two minutes of cooking time, but you'd have to experiment with that yourself.

Peace

edit on 6-10-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Every time I have put eggs into hot water, they instantly crack.

I just fill a pan up with water, drop the eggs in and turn the stove on and when the water starts boiling I start the clock for 8-10 minutes.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
how long do they stay in the fridge

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Not sure why, that's strange.
Are you sure you're not dropping the eggs in the water from two feet above?

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
how long do they stay in the fridge

You mean how long before you can eat them, or how long will they last?

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
the best way to cook boiled eggs when drunk as i do regularly....put ur eggs in the kettle and boil...go have a game on black ops go back after ten minutes and tada! the perfect boiled eggs!!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I think my mother once told me to put a couple of pinches of salt in the water to stop them cracking... Could have been vinegar or sugar though, but im sure it was salt

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If your eggs are cracking when you put them in the water, it may be because they're not fresh. That's just off the top of my head.

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Thanks for that tip; now how do you boil of jug of water?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Dr Love

Thanks for that tip; now how do you boil of jug of water?

That's a little bit over my head. Ask Bobby Flay.

Peace

edit on 6-10-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I use an egg cooker by cuisinart I got it on sale for around $15 a few years ago. I've never had a single bad egg since
there is this little cup that comes with it to measure how much water to use depending on how you like your eggs cooked (soft, medium or hard boiled) with a little shell piercing pin on the bottom of the cup so you steam your eggs pretty much and they don't crack while they're cooking. It uses a surprisingly tiny amount of water...less than 1/2 a cup at the max. The container will hold up to 7 eggs and has a sound it plays when the time is done. I love the little thing because there are never any discolored or undercooked yolks so it makes deviled eggs a breeze.

edit on 6-10-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: add a little more.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

I just fill a pan up with water, drop the eggs in and turn the stove on and when the water starts boiling I start the clock for 8-10 minutes.

Exactly. If you pull eggs from the fridge and drop them in boiling water, OF COURSE they will crack. How could they not?

As far as putting them in the fridge afterwards, if you want to save them, that's fine, but if you are actively cooking at the time, that is not practical nor even desirable. There are many dishes where you don't want cold eggs at all.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thank you for thse tips, I do alot of hard boiled egs and always a few wind up broken and leaking, And I was one who put them ina bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. But to clarify "rollling boil" it is a heavy boil with large bubbles?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i know my grandma uses a tiny bit of vinegar, or a bit of salt to keep them from coagulating

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i love eggs, i used to eat literally 3 a day. I don't eat meat but sure do love them eggs

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Exactly. If you pull eggs from the fridge and drop them in boiling water, OF COURSE they will crack. How could they not?

Not necessarily true, I take mine right out of the fridge. There could be more to it, like I said, the freshness of the egg. There may be a difference between the shells of a free-range egg and one that comes from a chicken with all the hormones and crap....who knows?

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Thanks for your handy tips. I've always put eggs in cold water after boiling, but I will try putting them right in the fridge.

How about how people commonly say ya gotta crack and then roll them? I always thought the roll part was some kinda joke or something, because it makes them so much harder to peel!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DblxJ
...But to clarify "rollling boil" it is a heavy boil with large bubbles?

Faster than that, almost to the point of about to start boiling over. Same as you would cook pasta in.

People don't wait for the right boil IMO when they cook, and it can be essential to the final product.

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I saw this new gizmo at Bed Bath and Beyond today, $9.99 for six "cups"
You break the egg into the cup and then cup the cups in boiling water, I think......no more peeling eggs.

After I saw the price for six, I stopped reading the directions.....says you can also season your eggs before you cook them

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I saw and wanted those because you can cook just the egg whites, you can use egg beaters/low fat diet style eggs and as you mentioned you can season them before you cook them. I haven't bought them yet though because they might end up even cheaper since they're pretty new.
edit on 6-10-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: rewording a sentance.

edit on 6-10-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: adding about eggbeaters

top topics

<<   2 >>

join