It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next Time You Laugh at Man-Made Global Warming "Deniers", Think of Daniel Shechtman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

In an interview this year with the Israeli newspaper, Haaretz, Shechtman said: "People just laughed at me." He recalled how Linus Pauling, a colossus of science and a double Nobel laureate, mounted a frightening "crusade" against him. After telling Shechtman to go back and read a crystallography textbook, the head of his research group asked him to leave for "bringing disgrace" on the team.

Today, Daniel Schechtman was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for his discovery of "laughable" quasicrystals.

...his battle (with the scientific establishment) eventually forced scientists to reconsider their conception of the very nature of matter … Scientists are currently experimenting with using quasicrystals in different products such as frying pans and diesel engines.

www.guardian.co.uk...

So...a word of caution to those who base a large percentage of their belief in the concept of "man made" global warming, or climate change if your prefer, on the (reported) fact that most scientists think that the science is done - and man is largely responsible.

Just because the majority of scientists at any given time have formed a consensus of opinion on the state of affairs...does not necessarily indicate that the full truth on the subject is known.

Congratulations Mr. Schectman !

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is one of the things that really urks me more then most other things, I hate seeing assaults on science. I don't even believe there is an actual consensus either, the study they use claiming most climate scientists agree with them only had 79 climate scientists in it and a little over 1,000 scientists total. There is a petition of almost 32,000 scientists that signed against AGW with 9,000 of them being PHD holders, given most were not climate scientists but the ICCP is only 20% climate scientists as well.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Who needs climate scientists to disprove AGW?

A few simple calculations will tell you that you can take every human on Earth and they will fit in a "box" 1 mile by 1 mile by less than 30 feet high.

That people actually believe our presence here affects the global climate is absolutely hilarious!!

We may pollute.. but no way do we affect weather patterns. So everyone who loves the Earth and wants to help can simply clean up after themselves, but forget about the CO2.. its no doubt the dumbest thing anyone has ever come up with. CO2 is good.. makes plants grow...and make oxygen so we can breathe. The CO2 scare is just a way for Al Gore and his ilk to line their pockets.

join