It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sesame Street Predicts the Next Stock Market Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
** Satire **

Sesame Street has been setting new trends for years. However, this is the first time in history that the producers have offered market advice. Traders on Wall Street are poised to dump everything at the release of Sesame Street's new puppet named 'Lily'.

Just when everyone's talking about the economy and the price of coffee, Sesame Street unveils Bernake's new diet plan. Starting October 9th, Walmart stores will be selling 20% less food to commemorate the event. This is a celebration for the 60,000 workers with large families who will be laid off during the month of October.

Yes, once everyone gets a load of Lily, the market will follow. The seeds are planted.

'Sesame Street' unveils muppet to teach kids about hunger.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Lily = Lilith = The eater of babies.

Just saying.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't know about the markets and such, but this is a damn shame that things are so bad, sesame street has to make it easy for children to understand why they are going hungry.

I don't have much money myself, but I try to give to the local food bank what I can. Kids shouldn't have to suffer.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I don't know about the markets and such, but this is a damn shame that things are so bad, sesame street has to make it easy for children to understand why they are going hungry.

I don't have much money myself, but I try to give to the local food bank what I can. Kids shouldn't have to suffer.

You shut up slave, there are millionaires who need another yacht and summer home. Back to work!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Ya beat me to it.

Kind of scary though.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Oh for pete's sake!!!
Really????

Hungry kids is a really sad thing.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Might as well keep politicizing it. With a odd twist.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I guess it's a step up from the cookie monster arrrrrgggh 1+2=cookie mmmmmm arrgggg

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
wow omgosh this is absolutedly ridiculous when sesame street is teaching children as to why they are going hungry. I think its just a bad move its very bias and then children are going to start doing thinks we would rather not.

www.globalpost.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

“Sesame Street” is introducing a new Muppet character who’s poor and sometimes hungry, the New York Times reports. “Lily,” a hot pink, 7-year-old-girl Muppet will appear in a one-hour “Sesame Street” special episode in October.

“We thought long and hard about how do we really represent this from a child’s point of view?” Jeanette Betancourt, Sesame Workshop’s senior vice president for outreach and educational practices, told the New York Times. “We felt it was best to have this new Muppet take this on in a positive way and a healthy way.”

Story here

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MissCoyote

Really?
I think it is a good idea. You don't think there are kids out there that feel like they are alone, should be ashamed, because they don't have enough to eat? You don't think a little kid may feel some comfort that he is not alone, and should not be ashamed?
Sorry, but there are parents out there that do not know how to talk to their kids about this. This is not the best solution by any stretch, but it sure isn't going to hurt them.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

edit on 5-10-2011 by chiefsmom because: Dreaded double post

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I just don't agree with the matter. that is all i have no problems talking with my kids and ya know it would be a cold day my daughter or some go hungry. and trust me there was a time in my life where that cold day lasted 3 months ya wanna know who ALWAYS had food. my daughter. she got food water everything before me i would go days before lushing on a cracker, A CRACKER! but she always had food. I just think people need to swallow there pride and go to the food banks. I work at a grocery/dept store we had a lady come in as ask to speak with the director. she went into his office and asked can you spare a couple cans of formula. "we bought 3 shopping carts of food and took it to her very run down apart which at that time we found out no food was the tip of the iceberg.
we pitched in to help her out fiancially now she works for us because my head boss the director shoo'd her in.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

Really?
I think it is a good idea. You don't think there are kids out there that feel like they are alone, should be ashamed, because they don't have enough to eat? You don't think a little kid may feel some comfort that he is not alone, and should not be ashamed?
Sorry, but there are parents out there that do not know how to talk to their kids about this. This is not the best solution by any stretch, but it sure isn't going to hurt them.

I kind of agree it could be seen by kids that have plenty of food to start sharing what they don't need or don't want to eat, teach them not to waste what they have and to not just throw it out when they don't want their apple etc. Make them think hey maybe someone else would like this instead of tossing it. I think it's a good time to throw out the "were America and we have everything" teaching, reduce some of the waste and start sharing and helping others eat.
edit on 5-10-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Now if it were a special addition sesame street played for the wealthy have never starved a day in there life kids I would understand. but poverty ridden children 9 times out of 10 don't want to be forced to think like an adult they don't need to see this kinda thing.

"Mommy, how come we have food and the little girl on tv doesn't? "thats because we are far richer than them dear." "Well can we help them?" "We do we donate to the salvation army and red cross" "But then why are they still hungry" "Well sweetie thats none of our bizness."

thats how that story will go.

"Mommy, Whats for dinner?" "Nothing." "But why?" "Because mommy ran out of money and theres no more foodstamps." 'Child steals a candy bar, takes extra food in the lunchline, gets older starts stealling bigger things'

thats my option.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

You took the words right out of my mouth, Lilith is no fan of capitalism.

At least the folks at Sesame Street have finally let the world know that Bert and Ernie aren't gay. I would hate to see them get married on TV.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Excellent story, and one that is repeated daily, though rarely reported.

Charity is the act of helping one stand back up on their own. Not giving them whatever, just so you feel good about yourself.

You have to sacrifice to truly be charitable and you've posted a great example for others to follow.

But then again, there are those who don't want charity...they want entitlements, from cradle to grave.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If kids are going hungry, but have cable or dish tv to watch Sesame Street.... there is a definite problem. $50 per month? $80? That money goes a long way if you are going hungry. That money goes a long way on Ramen noodles and bread and rice etc,

But it is very sad that people are going hungry. We haven't had cable tv for over a year just for that fact. We even went without internet for 6 months too. And we have survived... We've had decent food, and LOTS of quality fun times and conversation

edit on 5-10-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This thread was brought to you by....

The number 12, and.....

The letter "U"

"Elmo say 'Uh oh!'"

Least it's in language young kids can understand

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
In my state, Sesame Street is on free TV on the local PBS station, so no cable is required.
I know their intention is good, but this just breaks my heart that we have to use puppets to explain to kids why other kids, or they themselves, don't have enough food. Maybe I'll feel different after I watch it.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Yeah, the...next...crash!

top topics

join