It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Euro-Crisis Lecture Is 'Pitiful and Sad'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The latest on obama from Europe.

Does this mean they don't want him to be king any more, or does it mean he won't also be winning the Nobel Prize for Economics now.

source

US President Obama has given the Europeans a harsh lecture on the dangers of their ongoing debt crisis. Offended by the unsolicited advice, Europeans have suggested the US get its own house in order first. Obama's remarks were "arrogant" and "absurd," German commentators say on Wednesday.

and

The mass-circulation Bild writes:

"Obama's lecture on the euro crisis … is overbearing, arrogant and absurd. … In a nutshell, he is claiming that Europe is to blame for the current financial crisis, which is 'scaring the world.' Excuse me?"

"The American president seems to have forgotten a few details. The most important trigger of the financial and economic crisis was US banks and their insane real-estate dealings. The US is still piling up debt … The American congress is crippled by a battle between the right and the left. The banks are gambling just as recklessly as they did before the crisis. The president's scolding is a pathetic attempt to distract attention from his own failures. How embarrassing."

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I do not understand how someone who is as smart as Obama, supposedly at least, does not realize that his usage and choice of words will be interpreted as quoted in the article, which was negatively. Europe doesn't need a lecture from someone who represents a country that is in the exact same shape. Where is this logic coming from?

Does Obama not read what his speech-writers write beforehand? Did he write these less than appealing remarks himself? So many questions, yet this doesn't seem like a mistake by any means. The language was intentional, and Obama, as well as whoever wrote those condescending parts of the speech, are incredibly...moronic.

Why don't we make some more political enemies while we're at it? Obama is on a roll isn't he? He probably gets a "high" from lecturing other countries, since some have speculated that he is an egomaniac. I would agree with that statement by the way.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

If I recall, another obama campaign promise - now broken, too - was that he was going to repair our relations with other countries in Europe and the rest of the world.

Not exactly working out as promised ...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
i concur

the nerve
the gall

to lecture them and look at the hole were in

the dude is a legend in his own mind typical liberal elitism at its finest.
edit on 28-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

You seemed to forget to include what the President actually said when you created your OP?

Only the bitter commentary?

From your source:

The Europeans, he said,

"have not fully healed from the crisis back in 2007 and never fully dealt with all the challenges that their banking system faced. It's now being compounded by what's happening in Greece."

He continued:

"They're going through a financial crisis that is scaring the world, and they're trying to take responsible actions, but those actions haven't been quite as quick as they need to be."

I find nothing untrue about those remarks.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

You seemed to forget to include what the President actually said when you created your OP?

From your source:

The Europeans, he said,

"have not fully healed from the crisis back in 2007 and never fully dealt with all the challenges that their banking system faced. It's now being compounded by what's happening in Greece."

He continued:

"They're going through a financial crisis that is scaring the world, and they're trying to take responsible actions, but those actions haven't been quite as quick as they need to be."

What's the OP about again?

Europe's reaction to obama's speech - not about the content of an obama speech transcript. It's actually in the OP title and in the source article.

And of course you find nothing untrue about obama's remarks - because you never, ever have.

And just a couple of posts back I refer you to another lost campaign promise - to repair relations with Europe and the rest of the world.

All of that IS related to the subject of the OP.

C'mon back if you have anything to add on that.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

i dont think congress or the white house and cabinet have a clue of what the real world is dealing with or looks like. i also dont think they could really give 2-#s.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

who can argue with that

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The last paragraph in the article says much.

The financial daily Handelsblatt writes:

"The fact that Barack Obama, who is a brilliant thinker, knows full well that things are much more complicated in reality does not help. Indeed, it does the opposite. In the desperate battle for his re-election he'd rather construct myths, such as claiming that the Europeans alone are responsible for the American mess. Not only is this fundamentally wrong, but -- coming as it does from a friend -- it's downright pitiful and sad."

"Barack Obama, who is a brilliant thinker"

brilliant thinker with his advisors ideas maybe, not his own !

"In the desperate battle for his re-election he'd rather construct myths" .....

this is true, VERY true !

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Every US politician sounds like a moron when they try to speak economics. This is because they all listen to economists. Taking economic advice from the Greenspans of the world is a lot like taking medical advice from the Benny Hinns of the world, or consulting the works of Hermes Trimestigus for your chemistry homework.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
And of course you find nothing untrue about obama's remarks - because you never, ever have.

Then they provide a nice counter to you, who would raise argument if Obama were to one day say "kittens are fluffy and nice." So it all balances out, don't you think? Naive idealism vs. raging hatred.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
i think the eurozone is responding in kind to their intention to economy. they have a self entitled aggrandized grandfathered perspective on capital worldwide. how many people that are not native to a particular area wouldnt take a defensive stance on some foreigners conjectures if that mean it was already rocking a shaky canoe that was not used on the sound principles capital came from.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Then they provide a nice counter to you, who would raise argument if Obama were to one day say "kittens are fluffy and nice." So it all balances out, don't you think? Naive idealism vs. raging hatred.

As I've repeatedly said, I have authored posts and at least one thread here praising obama - when I thought he deserved it - which shows a far more open mind than others here.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Brings to mind the comment by the former Utah governor in the most recent Republican debates that his two dogs have created more "shovel-ready jobs" than obama has.

The best one-liner of the whole campaign IMO.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

From your source:

The Europeans, he said,

He continued:

And of course you are unable to find anything untrue in his comments either, since you have once again cowered from the content of my post and chose to attack the poster personally instead.
edit on 29-9-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

From your source:

The Europeans, he said,

He continued:

And of course you are unable to find anything untrue in his comments either, since you have once again cowered from the content of my post and chose to attack the poster personally instead.
edit on 29-9-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

IF all you have are deflection attempts, you might as well stop now. Mods?

Stated and restated, the transcript of obama's speech is not the title or the subject of the OP.

It is European reaction to what obama actually said.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Why can't Obama just go on vacation until december '12?

This is getting, well, rather Carter-ish.

Growing up in England while Carter was in office, we just said we were Canadians, if someone asked.

Once again, . . . "Oh Canada, oh Canada. . . . . "

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

While the EU is not to blame for the whole economy woes that started in the US in 2008, they are to blame for their own financial crisis that started when they became unified, trying to keep the Euro alive.

US have all the right for telling them to fix their houses because after all throughout the Fed the US has help bail them out three times already, in 2008, 2010 and last week Trillions of dollars has gone to help with the EU crisis.

Remember people that US Fed throughout the IMF is the biggest funder, the sad thing is that while people only get to know how much the US keeps in the IMF the Fed have the last voice as to how much they will help fund, we the tax payer do no need to know, as the rest of the funds, US Fed has the privilege to keep until further needs

The only reason Germany and France has problems with the US telling them what to do is because US Veto power within the IMF even when the US is not a member of the EU as Germany and France are rightly so.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This was more about his re-election in the US than how the Europeans react to his speech in my opinion. I have a feeling he decided creating tensions abroad was far less detrimental than not getting another four years.

Notice his speech context. He actually tries to tell (convince) Europeans that they are to blame for the current world economy woes. He lectures them on what THEY need to do to fix it....that Europe (read:not the US, not Obama) is holding the economy back by not dealing with their debt issues quickly enough.

I have a feeling this speech will be heavily edited and circulated widely in the US to try and prove to his voters that Europe, not the US, not Obama, is to blame.

When you can't fix the problem, point your finger at someone else.

My opinion is that he sacrificed Europe's relationship and view of Obama in order to save face with Americans. He knows full well he can repair the damage from this speech with some hefty checks and fancy new weapons. He also know none of it matters if he doesn't get reelected.
edit on 29-9-2011 by lpowell0627 because: Grammar correction

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

That's actually quite a brilliant analysis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join